The Making Of Dwarf Fortress

Nope. I agree. PJ can argue semantics if he'd like to (and boy does he LIKE to! :p ), but bottom line, a difficult UI reduces the fun factor, therefore, better UI means more fun.

I don't like to argue semantics. I do like to get my terms straight if I'm in a discussion, though.

The thing with the DF UI is that, as I said, once you've learned it, it's pretty fast and fluid. Sure, it could be even faster and fluider, but not a whole lot, for something that complex. To that extent it would be more fun, or less un-fun, with a better UI.

But the main point is that the big problem with the DF UI is that it's tough to learn: a better UI would significantly beat down the learning curve. While that would be nice since more people would play and enjoy it, it wouldn't actually make much difference to the fun once you've figured it out.

It's not that hard really. Not nearly as bad as it may sound.
I picked it up quite fast.

I'd like to see more people give this great game a try. It IS free after all.
Here's what I did in five easy steps.

First:
Read the quickstart guide to get an idea of the game http://dwarf.lendemaindeveille.com/index.php/Quickstart_guide

Second:
Download the game
http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/

Third:
Download this excellent graphic tileset.
http://rapidshare.com/files/67996522/graphics94.zip.html
It's an archive. Easy to install and figure out - just put all the stuff
in the corresponding place in the game folder. This tileset provides a graphic icon for every creature in the game. Look in the \raw\graphics folder.

Fourth:
Edit the init.txt in the \data\init folder as follows:
[INTRO:NO]
[WINDOWED:YES]
[GRAPHICS:YES]

Fifth:
Start the game (just double click the exe) and
Open up and follow the excellent "Your first fortress" guide.
http://dwarf.lendemaindeveille.com/index.php/Your_first_fortress

Everything you need to know to start playing is here.

Last edited:
I don't like to argue semantics. I do like to get my terms straight if I'm in a discussion, though.

Just poking fun at you, PJ. Just poking fun... :)

But the main point is that the big problem with the DF UI is that it's tough to learn: a better UI would significantly beat down the learning curve. While that would be nice since more people would play and enjoy it, it wouldn't actually make much difference to the fun once you've figured it out.

Agreed.

PJ: I'm having some irrigation trouble :D
Care to offer any hints & advice ?

I wanna grow those mushroom thingies inside my fortress but I guess I need to make the floor wet. Anyway to do this in a "set & forget" manner?

PJ: I'm having some irrigation trouble :D
Care to offer any hints & advice ?

I wanna grow those mushroom thingies inside my fortress but I guess I need to make the floor wet. Anyway to do this in a "set & forget" manner?

Tower caps?

You can't entirely set and forget it -- you'll still have to pull a couple of levers a couple of times a year.

The basic principle is pretty simple, but it's a bit tricky to set up. You need:

(0) Running water.
(1) A reservoir.
(2) A big room to be muddied, about five times as big as the reservoir.
(3) A drainage area.

This is what you want to dig and build:

First, the reservoir level -- A and B are floodgates, 1 and 2 are levers, O is a channel, D is door. I've omitted the stairs you need to build to be able to actually get there; put them wherever you like but remember that water... flows... down.

~~~~~~~
~~river~~
~~~~~~~

A
###
###
###BO
D
1#

Second, the mud level -- should be positioned so that the reservoir drains near the center of the room:

O####O
######
######
######
######
O####O

Third, the drainage level -- directly below the mud level:

######
######
######
######
######
######

Once you've got this set up, connect the floodgate A to lever 1 and floodgate B to lever 2. Forbid passage through door D. Then dig a channel between floodgate A and the river. Pull lever 1. Your reservoir will flood.

To irrigate, pull lever 1 again to close the reservoir. Then pull lever 2, letting the reservoir drain into the big room below. Once empty, pull lever 2 again, and lever 1 again to refill the reservoir.

There's a bit "too much" water in the reservoir; the overflow will go into the drainage room below, and partly irrigate it too. This is needed to fully irrigate the room -- cut it too close, and it'll drain out faster than it spreads out, leaving annoying dry spots.

Then wait.

Eventually, the mud will dry out. At this point, irrigate again. It takes a quite a long time -- on the order of a year or so -- so this isn't a frequent chore by any means.

You can also grow dwarf crops here, you know.

Also note the possible defensive uses of hydraulic engineering: if you're clever, you can set up a system that'll trap any invaders in an area that you can then flood. Drown, you pointy-eared tree-huggers! Muhahahaha! etc.

Edit: for extra credit, do the defensive hydraulic engineering with... magma. Only trouble is that in the current version of DF, magma is a non-renewable resource, so you won't be able to use it indefinitely.

Thanks, that's nice of you!
And Yeah, I was affraid it'd come to something like that,
so I already prepared few things...

Now.. Let's see..

Whooooo! Did it. Took your advice and simplified it just for a bit.
It works tho.

Now I'll need to start thinking about trading and warfare more seriously.

I haven't managed to force myself through the games interface to actually play it yet but I'd love to read a "let's play.." shared game. The Something Awful sessions were funny.

I took a screenshot of my moisturized dwarven mushroom farm, I attached it.
Behind those two doors and a floodgate is a room with two switches that control the floodgate. I can easily dig the reserve a little bigger if a at some point would like to flood the entire room instead of just a half of it.

I read that the mushrooms produce seeeds that can be reused to
farm some more. How do I make sure that the seeds are... uh... kept safe?

Attachments

• dwarf_irrigation.jpg
    dwarf_irrigation.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 34
That screen shot really reminds me of the games of yore. Might have to take a peek at it later.

Yeah once you install the graphic tile set I mentioned in a post above, the visuals are not a problem. You can nicely tell what and where everything is just by looking at the screen. All the creatures are represented with nice colorfull graphic tiles and you can easily tell where is water and trees and walls etc - as you can see from the screenshot. Even the mushroom is a purple.. well.. mushroom :D

I took a screenshot of my moisturized dwarven mushroom farm, I attached it.
Behind those two doors and a floodgate is a room with two switches that control the floodgate. I can easily dig the reserve a little bigger if a at some point would like to flood the entire room instead of just a half of it.

I read that the mushrooms produce seeeds that can be reused to
farm some more. How do I make sure that the seeds are... uh... kept safe?

Those look like plump helmets. Mushrooms too, but not the kind that produces wood. (Was that what you were after?)

To get the seeds, prohibit cooking and permit brewing for your crops; brewing makes booze and seeds. Cooking will be switched off for seeds by default.

You do know that you can farm them on soil, in which case you don't need to irrigate?

Are you threatening my moisturized underground dwarven mushroom farm ??

How dare you! You're an evil, evil man!:[

Can't believe how addictive this game is. It's like an all-consuming force.
I skipped the second part of a two hour lecture at the university today to go home and play dwarf fortress. I was thinking about dwarf fortress when I was at the super market buying youghurt. at nights I've been playing till 3'am cause I just can't stop (I do have to go to the university in the morning tho...)

And the mrs .... she is pretty pissed :D

Well, that's life.

Can't believe how addictive this game is. It's like an all-consuming force.
I skipped the second part of a two hour lecture at the university today to go home and play dwarf fortress. I was thinking about dwarf fortress when I was at the super market buying youghurt. at nights I've been playing till 3'am cause I just can't stop (I do have to go to the university in the morning tho...)

And the mrs .... she is pretty pissed :D

Well, that's life.

Uh oh. Sounds like an intervention might be in order...

:uhoh:

Nah. I never let it get that bad. I still do go to the university. I eat and sleep. And I complete all the stuff that needs to be done :D I even talk to my woman!

I was just trying to get across the fact that this is a pretty addictive game :D

Nah. I never let it get that bad. I still do go to the university. I eat and sleep. And I complete all the stuff that needs to be done :D I even talk to my woman!

I was just trying to get across the fact that this is a pretty addictive game :D

Phew! Actually, I was mostly just kidding you.... mostly... ;)

Are you threatening my moisturized underground dwarven mushroom farm ??

How dare you! You're an evil, evil man!:[

Of course not. Soil farming is for pointy-eared open-dwelling beardless tree-huggers. Real dwarves do it on hard rock. Whatever "it" may be.

Back
Top Bottom