The Necromancer's Tale - Demo available

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Daveyd spotted that a demo for the story-rich RPG The Necromancer's Tale is available for download:

The Necromancer's Tale

The Necromancer's Tale is a narrative-driven top-down RPG where you play the role of a minor noble in the 18th Century, drawn into the Dark Necromantic Arts as you seek knowledge and revenge. Great power awaits... along with the weird, the morbid, and a gradual descent into madness.

Before you lies a great spellbook, filled with powerful rites of death and reanimation. Can you decipher the pages and master its arcane rituals without losing your mind or being strung up by the townsfolk? Your progress will require great determination, cunning and secrecy.

The Necromancer's Tale is a story-rich game, in which you converse with 150+ NPC characters, each with their own portrait art. You will investigate, negotiate, coerce and flatter in order to progress your aims. The game's Trust system means that your choices - even in conversation - really matter. If the townsfolk's trust drops too low, you will find your choices are affected - if it drops further still, you will surely be tried in court and hanged, or lynched by a frenzied mob.

The game involves tactical turn-based combats between you, your allies and your undead minions - versus a range of enemies, natural and supernatural. Our unique combat system, involving 300+ critical hits, draws on tactical games which we have released as far back as 1995.

The Necromancer's Tale is set in an alternative-history Kingdom near Venice and the Adriatic Sea, in 1733. This is a time at the cusp of rational thought and superstition; science and magic. The world is dark and dangerous; courtly intrigue collides with black magic even as chemistry emerges from alchemy.
More information.

Odd the steam page hasn't been updated since December.

I really hate when this happens as it makes finding that news harder.

Looks similar to something like Torment: ToN but with a lower budget.

Our unique combat system, involving 300+ critical hits, draws on tactical games which we have released as far back as 1995.
I wonder what they mean there. 300+ different kinds of critical hits? I feel like there's a translation error somewhere.

I think to remember I tried the demo for this game a couple weeks ago. If it's the same game, I remember the protagonist going back to her parents mansion after her dad passed away and some shenanigans. The character creation process was pretty well thought out and interesting, but the graphic style and general pace were a little offputting.

It had potential however, if taken with patience and measured expectations.

Looks similar to something like Torment: ToN but with a lower budget.

I wonder what they mean there. 300+ different kinds of critical hits? I feel like there's a translation error somewhere.
Seems like a weird thing to boast for something they're promoting as a "narrative drive" and "story rich" game. Unless those are just buzzword bait.
I mean, it can have those and "300+ critical hits", but most people drawn in by the story and RPG aspects aren't going to care. 30 or 300, at that point what does it matter?

I think to remember I tried the demo for this game a couple weeks ago. If it's the same game, I remember the protagonist going back to her parents mansion after her dad passed away and some shenanigans. The character creation process was pretty well thought out and interesting, but the graphic style and general pace were a little offputting.

It had potential however, if taken with patience and measured expectations.
Yeah, that's the one.
The demo is pretty short and you don't really get to practice any necromancy in it, just a bit of alchemy. But I thought it was pretty cool. It's definitely a game I'm keeping an eye on.

Tried the demo and quit almost immediately. I'm not a fan of having to answer a dozen questions during character creation. Maybe I'll try again later when I'm more in the mood for that sort of thing.

Back
Top Bottom