The TV Series discussion thread

Wow, negative is a mild way to put it, he sounds so bored and shows so little enthusiasm about what's he's doing that I wonder why he's bothering at all. If you watch Nerd of the Rings, you'll see he's more neutral and constructive. That doesn't mean he agrees on everything that is in the show, but at least he's trying to see a little further.

Considering how poor most fantasy TV series are, no, I don't think that's the reason. The fan reviews on Rotten Tomatoes are one person after another complaining that the show doesn't hew closely enough to the books. I could give a fuck. And regardless of whether you do or don't, that has nothing to do with how good the show actually is.
Most fantasy TV series aren't based on Tolkien and didn't have nearly the hype that ROP had.

If you really think everyone who dislikes it is racist, you're living in a fantasy world of your own.

Wow, negative is a mild way to put it, he sounds so bored and shows so little enthusiasm about what's he's doing that I wonder why he's bothering at all. If you watch Nerd of the Rings, you'll see he's more neutral and constructive. That doesn't mean he agrees on everything that is in the show, but at least he's trying to see a little further.
I wouldn't take his monotone way of speaking as indicative that he's not passionate. One of my favorite media reviewers is YourMovieSucks (YMS) and he speaks in a similar way. Or another way of looking at it, you could say that ROP killed his passion. :D

Another channel which I follow for ROP impressions is The One Ring. They're also mostly negative, without mentioning much about identity politics.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mJAg8fBZjc

I like the fun title. :D But damn, this rant is even longer than the episode!

So they reproach that the show "achieved nothing" in 5 episodes just because they didn't see a particular event (which comes in episode 6), but if we see that more objectively, the show has introduced several races, a plot with the orcs, an ongoing struggle with Galadriel, other plots in Numenor, a few potential Sauron, a tentative to save the elf race mixed with Celebrimbor's personal ambition and a young Elrond salvaging his friendship with the dwarves, harfoots discovering a potential magician (who may or may not be evil), and who migrate elsewhere.

So yeah, "nothing happens" if you only like combat scenes. But sometimes there are people who like something deeper than just action. If one reads Tolkien's books, it's also very slow at the beginning.

I fell asleep after that. It strikes me as very odd that people would waste their time bashing a show when there are so many other (more creative) things to do. If one doesn't like the show, it's simple, just don't watch it, no need to repeatedly rant about it.

The most shocking thing, for me at least, about Rings of Power was their plan for what they were gonna do. So they spent an enormous amount of money on a tv series for which they have source material that is savagely carved around some of the significant events. I really don't get how or what they negociated for, when dealing with the Tolkien estate, considering how much they're not allowed to touch (nothing from Silmarillion, or the LOTR books?). It's like the whole thing was shot from the beginning. If I were Amazon I would've just spent all I need to get everything, and not have Embrace Group get the better parts of whatever they got. Seems insane if you're gonna spend that amount of money, to just half ass it and not just get everything. I kind of doubt that the Tolkien estate would sell all they did to Embracer, but not to Amazon. Especially with the deep pockets that Amazon has. Or if you're not gonna spend that money, just don't throw that money away by half-assing it.

Then they would have a more solid standing to start from. But it feels like they started from a rocky foundation from the getgo. Sounds like an insane strategy.

Last edited:
It's strange that Amazon didn't buy everything indeed, though 250 millions is already a lot of money.

Embracer didn't want to disclose what they paid for the deal and different websites give different amounts for the 6 acquisitions Embracer made at that time, so it's hard to know for sure - they're probably just guessing.

Is anyone here watching the show itself? Or just videos about it?
I'm at episode 6. As I mentioned before, I think it's a relatively good show, but it's not amazing. I wouldn't have paid $500m for it for example :D

I slogged through four episodes of the current Rings of Power before I tossed in the towel. There's so much to watch these days that I needn't watch something that isn't at least decent. BTW, speaking of decent, while the internet was our for me I resorted to physical media and re-watched the first four episodes of Twin Peaks: the Return, and I plan on watching the rest. And a sincere belief that keeping a dvd player and some decent media to watch is a very good idea!

I watched up to episode 5 of the Rings of Power and I have to say ... you guys are so jaded.

I love it. I like the relatively slow pace, even though there are lots of fast-forward time jumps. I like the language, the serenity and sublimity. I like the Elves, Dwarves and Hobbits. I don't like the Orcs, obviously. Galadriel is great.

Not sure what everyone expected, but judging by all the comments and relatively low scores, I thought it would be boring as hell or whatnot, but luckily that's not the case. I'm really happy it brings Middle-Earth (and other continents) to life the way it does. Maybe it's a case of way too overblown expectations?

To me, the Lord of the Rings was always mostly a feeling, of ages long past, of myth and ancient wonders. That's what I get here. Grand events, visualized, as well as small ones. I really, really hope all the negativity doesn't stifle the project and we'll get more seasons with at least the same overall quality.

For reference, I read the Hobbit, the LotR trilogy, the Silmarillion and one or two of the side stories. Once.

Well, jaded is a possibility, but I don't personally see it like that. I first discovered The Hobbit in the school library when I was about 8, and it was one of the old hardbacks with the fold-out map and the dusty, musty book smell, which I've loved ever since. I saw the Bakshi animation at some point, and I loved that, too - the rotoscoping was pretty crude, but I just loved the tone and approach, which fit my vision of the world.

I'm not some purist or expert on the books, but when you say Tolkien has always been about a feeling, for you, I agree - it's just that I have perhaps more specific feeling in mind, and my response to adaptations is going to be somewhat dictated by that.

I didn't like the Hobbit movie trilogy, either. To me, that failed in terms of my own prejudices about how it should be done, but I also thought the films were just not very good, in terms of writing, pacing, direction, and so on. I just feel pretty much the same about ROP.

With regard to the shenanigans around it, I think two things can be true - that there are people with some political bug up their arse being reflexively hostile, and also that it might deserve criticism. I remember the Ghostbusters remake, and there was clearly a lot of ugly stuff being thrown around about it, so I went to see it anyway. And I thought it sucked very badly indeed. Nothing wrong with the concept, but I remember talking about it in the pub afterwards, and we were talking about an ideal female cast, and approaches that might have worked. I do think that that they conflated the trolling with legitimate criticism, as a kind of sword and shield to defend their product.

I don't think ROP is nearly as bad as that, but I can definitely understand people holding the honest opinion that it's not good.

As a fan of the new show, here's some context so far as what I've liked and not liked in the past:
Love both the book The Hobbit and, especially, the old cartoon. Watched that many times.
Was mostly bored by the LOTR trilogy. My mom actually made me finish Return of the King because I'd chosen it for a book report assignment. Never finished the other two.
Like the Jackson LOTR trilogy, but don't love them. My favorite is The Two Towers.
Hated the first and second Hobbit films. They have a cheesy theme park mentality. Skipped the third.

Something I found interesting when I watched the making of Jackson's LOTR, was that he admired the animation and used it as one of his sources of inspiration. I actually think his Fellowship mirrors quite a lot of Bakshi, and is the stronger for it.

Of all the characters they could have chosen, I find Jon Snow one of the least appealing.

I'd much rather see what happened to Arya for example.

As a fan of the new show, here's some context so far as what I've liked and not liked in the past:
Love both the book The Hobbit and, especially, the old cartoon. Watched that many times.
Was mostly bored by the LOTR trilogy. My mom actually made me finish Return of the King because I'd chosen it for a book report assignment. Never finished the other two.
Like the Jackson LOTR trilogy, but don't love them. My favorite is The Two Towers.
Hated the first and second Hobbit films. They have a cheesy theme park mentality. Skipped the third.
I'm surprised you didn't like the book trilogy. Have you tried again to read them later?

I loved The Hobbit when I first read it, but now it feels too simple and too short in comparison to LOTR. And I've only read the trilogy in French, sadly, when I was a kid. I liked it a lot, then I started reading it in English many years later but I've never finished (more because of circumstances than its content).

I agree with The Hobbit movies being cheesy, though I don't dislike them. It's mostly the first movie that bothers me that way.

Has anyone watched Interview with a Vampire? I wasn't expecting much but the first episode was pretty darn good. I can watch the next two episodes early and think I will watch them tonight.

Back
Top Bottom