The TV Series discussion thread

I must say I've either liked or loved every Doctor Who episode this season. Far cry from last season where I either hated, disliked or was just 'meh' most episodes (I think I actually liked one, but not sure). Capaldi's speech in yesterday's episode was phenomenal.

I must say I've either liked or loved every Doctor Who episode this season. Far cry from last season where I either hated, disliked or was just 'meh' most episodes (I think I actually liked one, but not sure). Capaldi's speech in yesterday's episode was phenomenal.

I finally saw some episodes with Calpaldi as The Doctor. I think it was the first 2 episodes of the current season, but I'm not sure. It was about him returning to Skaro and facing Davros. It was cool to see Davros again, and I like how they showed a scene from an old episode with the 4th Doctor (Tom Baker).

I despise what they did to The Master though. That used to be a great character.

This season of Fargo is fantastic. Not going thru a 2nd season rut like True Detective. Plus I live in the Midwest so I like to see how we are portrayed :)

This season of Fargo is fantastic. Not going thru a 2nd season rut like True Detective. Plus I live in the Midwest so I like to see how we are portrayed :)
Good to know, Fargo is up next then on my netflix list. I gave up 3 episodes into true detective season 2 and I just don't feel starting it up again.

Finished homeland season 4. Now that is a show I couldn't put down. Exciting stuff. Nothing mind blowing, just plain good characters, story and moves along at a great pace.

Still enjoying Quantico but the episodes are getting ssslllllloooooowwww … felt like the last two could have been compressed into one without losing much.

I gave up after 2:nd episode. :biggrin:

The series has just so many authenticity problems. I just couldn't take it seriously. The premise was from the begining with quite problematic, but real problems begin when show creators don't do their homework. Ofcourse there is a suspension of disbelief, but they're not even trying to get basic stuff right.

They were selling Quantico as an other "homeland" or "24" type of series, but in my opinion it feels like a teen series. Maybe a better title would be: Quantico 90210. ;)

They were selling Quantico as an other "homeland" or "24" type of series, but in my opinion it feels like a teen series. Maybe a better title would be: Quantico 90210. ;)

Yeah - the last episode we watched (we're lagging by one I think, have it to watch on Hulu perhaps tonight) really pushed the 'everyone is sleeping with each other' and they are all so gorgeous and unreal ... not sure how much longer we last. My wife and I are still watching it and both getting dubious at about the same rate. Interesting to see how long we last at this point.

I'm still watching it and enjoying it. Is it believable? Heck no, but how many such shows really are? It's fun and much better than any american sit-coms which I have never found even slightly amusing!!

much better than any american sit-coms which I have never found even slightly amusing!!

While I agree with you in the main, there's been lots of US sitcoms which have been hilarious. I saw an episode of Frasier the other day where they become underground caviar dealers and the show mimics drug dealing to a tee, combined with a second story where their dad gets caught in banking bureaucracy and ends up $10,000 richer because the bank didn't have a means to accept him giving $10 back after a cashpoint malfunction. I was hooting all the way through that episode. And there was M.A.S.H., not liking mash is like admitting there's something wrong with you...

But I get your general point, they do over-produce crud which makes it harder to find the diamonds.

I'm still watching it and enjoying it. Is it believable? Heck no, but how many such shows really are?

Agreed. Homeland, 24, etc are fricking ludicrous too.

Agreed. Homeland, 24, etc are fricking ludicrous too.

I always get a surprised look when I tell people I find Game of Thrones more belieavable than 24 or other shows like that. People seem to think that 'belieavable = real world'.

Fargo second season is not yet available in these parts but I'm eagery waiting for it.
If someone missed my previous posts, last year Fargo was my #1 TV show. It's not some Memories of Murder (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0353969/) rip off like that other crime show starring Cheers actor everyone praised and I refused to watch.

That same one (Woody)?
If yes, I'll skippit.

Quantico update ...

The last episode ("Go") earned the show a reprieve ... last week ('God', where they earned the Quantico 90210 label again) we were about 'done', but this one got back to the core narrative style and tension from earlier episodes. I know that my wife would drop it sooner than me, but she is still willing to watch again next week. If it sucks again, we're out. Which was what we expected this week.

Fargo second season is not yet available in these parts but I'm eagery waiting for it.
If someone missed my previous posts, last year Fargo was my #1 TV show. It's not some Memories of Murder (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0353969/) rip off like that other crime show starring Cheers actor everyone praised and I refused to watch.

Fargo was indeed absolutely brilliant! Fargo & True detective were definitely top series of last year. :) There is no question of TD season 2 being entertaining, but not as great as season 1. Intresting to see how Fargo compares against last year's Fargo.

Has anyone been following House of Cards? Just recently finished season 3. Man it has become my favourite political drama series. Kevin Spacey really nails that role! Other actors truly pull their weight as well, but Spacey really owns it. :)

That same one (Woody)?
If yes, I'll skippit.

No Sam Malone :) Ted Danson.

I would just like to say that the 3rd episode of Ash vs Evil Dead had one of the funniest lines I have ever heard. I am 46 and have watched a good amount of TV and movies in my life. That series is going past my high expectations and most know me on this board as an optimist. I would have never thought the first 3 episodes would be this good.

I am also enjoying the Last Kingdom. I am a huge fan of the books and the series has been pretty faithful to the books.

No Sam Malone :) Ted Danson.

I would just like to say that the 3rd episode of Ash vs Evil Dead had one of the funniest lines I have ever heard. I am 46 and have watched a good amount of TV and movies in my life. That series is going past my high expectations and most know me on this board as an optimist. I would have never thought the first 3 episodes would be this good.

I am also enjoying the Last Kingdom. I am a huge fan of the books and the series has been pretty faithful to the books.

I'm really looking forward to bingeing Evil Dead one day, however, if it's as good as you say then I likely wont be able to buy it for a sane amount of money for at least 5 years.

I've been watching The Last Kingdom weekly as it airs as I have that channel and watched the first three but missed the fourth. I ought to be so hooked on the show by now that I immediately run to iplayer to watch the 4th... but it hasn't happened yet and for some reason I'm just not getting hyped by the series.

Having not read the books we first assumed it was going to be about King Arthur, but as the plot thickened it became obvious it was going to be about King Alfred the Great. Well... it's not about him, but it is, but it isn't, because it's about this rather unlikable character and his revenge plot. And the main problem I have with the show is not being able to like any of the characters. Alfred is unlikable, as is the head Dane, as is the protagonist and his girlfriend (who's entire act feels like a low budget rip-off of John Snow and the Wildling Girl), as is Alfred's son, as is the priest, as are all the sub-characters. The only person so far that I've hoped wont die has been the Blacksmith.

But ignoring that issue, it's certainly watchable.

If you read the books Uhtred becomes very likable at times :) and is a great strategist. Alfred the Great is both likable and not in the books also. This is setting the characters for later in the story and you can't blame Uhtred. Having your father die and castle taken by your uncle may piss you off. Also, having your step father killed and not being excepted by the Danes or Saxons could cause some anger issues. He does hate the church of England and is always an ass towards most priests.

I would like to say that knowing the main character form the books that I love him in this series. I would imagine that living in the dark ages during the Danish raids of England would cause most people to be unlikable :) Most great war leaders were assholes in real life I bet.

Yes, that's why drama is fiction and history is considered dull... because reality isn't actually very watchable. The lengths people go to to make documentaries interesting is astounding. The show isn't fully factual, it's a fiction set in a historically accurate environment. 'based-on' real events.

Alfred's son (I mean Ethelred's son, of course, oops) is in exactly the same position as that of Arthur (Uthred or whatever), except the writer states Arthur is the protagonist whereas Ethelred's son is a spoilt brat, both in very cardboard fashion and ultimately failing to make Arthur in any way interesting.

At one point in the first episode someone in the room looked away for literally a brief second and we had to explain to them that the grumpy kid had now become a tall, lanky, clean gaotee guy with a ponytail who cries and speaks softly. As if his entire personality had been run through a steam press.

Back
Top Bottom