The Wayward Realms - Kickstarter in May

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
The Kickstarter for The Wayward Realms will start in May:

A Vision Becoming Reality

A spirtual successor to the Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall, The Wayward Realms, a medieval fantasy roleplaying game led by industry veterans Ted Peterson & Julian Lefay, that aims to bring the "old-school" design philosophies of Classic RPGs together with the latest technology and quality of life improvements, courtesy of Unreal Engine 5.
More information.

About time as it didn't look like this game was ever going to get developed.

Hopefully they don't ask for a million as most kickstarters can't even make 50,000.

Anyway, i'll support it only if it will have the spellmaker and itemmaker.

That garbage of Torment sequel made 2 mil..
True but that was what five years ago now? Fact is most games over the last few years do nothing but struggle to earn a few thousand. The golden age is long over.

This project has a few well known developets that might help but we'll see.

The pre-alpha? footage they've shown looks really good, but I feel like this might be one of those projects that'll be stuck in development for a very long time.

That garbage of Torment sequel made 2 mil...
Yep, one of the reasons (not counting beings scammed three times) I stopped supporting crowdfunding.

Don't do EAs anymore either, as they tend to underdeliver or evolve into something else entirely. But I might get Manor lords on 26th if it is any good.

More info on steam.
Hey friends! In case you haven't heard yet, The Wayward Realms is coming to Kickstarter Spring of this year (2024).

We plan with the help of this incredible community and a successful kickstarter, we can go into full time production for 1 year & launch an early access build of The Wayward Realms sometime next year.

Of course, you may be asking why Kickstarter?

We have been working on The Wayward Realms for a few years now, and until recently, our aim was to go a traditional publisher route for funding. However, the Games Industry has been on a downward trend lately, with many studios being shuttered, and many publishers becoming much more hesitant to fund ambitious projects.

The Wayward Realms is one such project, with game design that has rarely been seen in recent decades and complex systems that require a lot of work. It makes publishers a little more demanding when it comes to a proof of concept. While we could continue at our current pace, working as a volunteer team, and eventually reach a state that would make us a more sure investment, we don’t really want to spend the next several years in early development. So, we are turning to our community for help to speed things along and give you all an opportunity to shape the game as we know it.

We have always made a great effort to include the community in the creation of the game. From taking ideas from the community very early in the project’s life, to listening to feedback on systems and worldbuilding, to letting the community decide on names for characters and places, we have always wanted the community to help bring the game to life. Kickstarter offers another avenue for us to do just that.

Your funds will not only allow us to hire our team members full time, but, depending on the tier, also give you the chance to give feedback on the gameplay, and even create items & characters that could go on to be featured in future games.

We do want to make it clear though that our aim with your pledges is to fund full-time development for a year in order to produce an early access build. We would release this early access build to the appropriate backers, and take feedback as we continue to update it, however, we also aim to take this early access build to publishers to seek out further funding to complete the entire game. This Kickstarter will allow us to get our systems far enough that we remove any doubt from publishers, but also prove that there is a demand for this type of game.

I am very interested in the game and will gladly buy it at some point, but I also laid-off the Kickstarters and are only mildly interested in EA anymore.

Im definitely in for any complex RPG and will keep my fingers crossed for them to pull this off.
That said, I have no intention to spend money and/or time on anything but finished and released games.

I buy some EA to play a bit of a game months before release (bg3, rogue trader and few indies).
KS I use it for other stuff with less than a year waiting time.

Yep, one of the reasons (not counting beings scammed three times) I stopped supporting crowdfunding.

Don't do EAs anymore either, as they tend to underdeliver or evolve into something else entirely. But I might get Manor lords on 26th if it is any good.
The Archaelund EA has been great. There are a few games out there that I will support early if it's the kind of gameplay that I love.

That garbage of Torment sequel made 2 mil...
$4.2M actually. And Bard's Tale IV raised $1.5M. I actually liked Torment, hated BT4, but I think the general underwhelmingness of those two games went a long way towards ruining Kickstarter for big CRPG projects.

Ehhh I wouldn't say kick starter is ruined or anything like that, even these days. If the pitch is decent, if they've got something to show potential buyers/doners and if there's a decent team involved, it can help a lot. It's simply a matter of putting a good foot forward.

The pre-alpha? footage they've shown looks really good, but I feel like this might be one of those projects that'll be stuck in development for a very long time.
What an optimist! They've been at this for 5 years and don't have a proof of concept yet to show a publisher.

Exactly they churn out concept trailers without any gameplay for over five years.

That alone should be a red flag for every backer. There better be some gameplay.

Dude, Ted Projectdev said himself they don't have enough content to secure a publisher, despite the storied names behind the project. And no, I'm not impressed by a nice 3D environment and handful of assets. My teenager could produce that stuff... if I gave him 5 years.

Back
Top Bottom