Things you don't need to know...

I'm ok, but that was definitely not fun.

My three bedroom house is now a two bedroom for the time being. Lost part of the roof and the ceiling caved in in that third bedroom. Water damage in other areas plus the carpet is ruined. On top of that I'll probably be without power for the better part of a week at least.

It should all be covered by insurance, but it's going be a long wait. 🫤

Fresh Women seems to be the 4th entry in Steam August's Top 20. :rolleyes: 😂

I didn't look but I doubt there's a Fresh Men version, so much for gender parity. But what amazes the most is the amount of junk they sell on Steam.

I'm ok, but that was definitely not fun.

My three bedroom house is now a two bedroom for the time being. Lost part of the roof and the ceiling caved in in that third bedroom. Water damage in other areas plus the carpet is ruined. On top of that I'll probably be without power for the better part of a week at least.

It should all be covered by insurance, but it's going be a long wait. 🫤
Reports from someone you sort of know, makes it more significant than merely watching statistics on the news.

Hope it doesn't take too long before you're back to normal.

pibbuR

PS. Anyone lost their lives in the storm? DS.

PS2. Are insurance more expensive in Florida given the frequent hurricanes? Many who can't afford insurance (or foolishly don't bother)? DS.

PS3: Come to Norway! We have bad weather but never that bad. DS.

Last edited:
So, I had to have surgery for a minor umbilical hernia. Surgery went well on Friday and I was healing great. I have no pain already and I barely took any medication to begin with.

However, a few days ago, my body started getting a rash. At first I thought it would go away on his own. It didn't. So I went to the doctor and they gave me some steroid and anti-bacterial cream as well as some anti-histamines. It didn't do anything and today my body has gone from white skin to red skin. This is a picture of my back :D

I went to the doctor and they think it might have been from the anti-biotics I got for post-surgery. Luckily I finished those, but he gave me a very strong dose of steroids for 5 days to get better quickly...

Wish me luck :)

I don't get along with penicillin, and I used to break out a bit like that before we figured that out.

I used to have a friend in high school with very strong eczema and he used to scratch so much it bled through his trousers. I didn't understand how you could do that back then.
After having had another strong allergic reaction a few years ago and now this one, I am amazed he didn't rip his entire skin off.

It requires a lot of self-control to be able to not scratch.

How are things going?
Not great. No power, and my generator took a crap on me. I was only using it to power my refrigerator, but it's the cherry on top of this shit cake I'm eating.

I was lucky enough to be able to get an electrician coming out tomorrow. I have work at needs to be done before they restore power, but it might still be a week or more before they can get the grid in this area up and running.

tl;dr.. antibiotics and allergy. Or allergy and antibiotics.

Definitely looks like an allergy reaction to antibiotics, and as far as I know the penicillins are the most common cause for that. Other antibiotics can cause similar reactions, other types of medication as well. In the following discussion I concentrate on penicillins. Allergic reactions to other antibiotics follow the same pattern, but as said, penicllins are the most common cause, and also the most commonly used antibiotics. My guess is that you were treated with a penicillin, but it's not 100%, and it's important to know what you got. Observe that there are different kinds of penicillins, and if you react to one of them, you react to all of them. But not to antibiotics other than penicillins, except maybe a few chemically closely related drugs (cephalosporines).

There are two types of allergy reactions to penicillin.
  1. Immediate allergic reactions come within minutes/an hour after the first dose. These reactions is caused by a specific type of antibodies, the IgE, and involves the release of histamine. It is the same type of allergy behind hay fever (treatable by antihistamines). Usually reactions are mild, but annoying. But it can also cause (rarely) an acute severe, life threatening reaction, the anaphylactic shock (treated by injection of adrenaline). Same reaction can (also rarely) happen after vaccines which is why you usually have to wait 20 minutes or so before leaving the premises. If you've had an immediate reaction (even if mild), next time a more serious reaction can occur, so penicillins are contraindicated (must not be used). OTOH, reactions to other agents, like pollen in hay fever does not exclude use of penicillin.
  2. Delayed allergic reactions, which is what you have, come days after starting the treatment, sometimes even after ending it. These reactions are not caused by IgE, in stead T-cells are involved. Fortunately anaphylactic shock is not an issue here, but unfortunately other dangerous conditions may occur (but fortunately not very common).
So, in both cases you should avoid the specific antibiotic. Ideally the allergy should be confirmed by tests, but I don't know if that is available (wasn't when I left med school). Having to avoid penicllin is unfortunate, because penicillin is a very good antibiotic for infections treatable by it, with few serious side effects other than allergy. For instance, a normal daily dose of the penicillin used (phenoxymethylpenicillin) for upper airway infections is around 3 g. For meningitis, at my hospital back then we used doses 10 times as high. Other antibiotics are available, however.

pibbuR who unlike his wife does not react adversely to penicillins.

PS. I said there are different kinds of penicillins. Phenoxymethylpenicillin is the one most commonly used, and works well against bacteria causing pneumonia, upper airway infections and meningitis. But it doesn not work against for instance germ causing urinary infections. Another type of penicillin, ampicillin is a so called broad spectered antibiotic, works against many more bacteria, including those responsible for urinary infections. And we have cloxacillin which works against staphylococci resistant to other penicillins. There are more.

One thing that may cause confusion is that the companies making drugs put their own name on their products. In Norway we have Apocillin, Weifapenin, Femepen etc (Note the capital first letter), which all contain phenoxymethylpenicillin. I don't know the names used abroad. DS

PPS. In Norway, and I suspect most other countries, an allergic reaction to penicillins should be presented very prominently in the EPR, as so called "cave information" ("cave" means AFAIR(emember), didn't check, "be very careful"), so it should not be possible to overlook it. However, (depending on the jurisdiction) the EPR isn't always shared between hospitals, and with primary care, so the patient should also know the specifics. DS.

PPPS. One more thing. Allergy is by definition a hypersensitivity reaction caused by the immune system. There are other types of hypersensitivity. Intolerance to lactose in milk,for instance, is a reaction caused by lack of the enzyme lactase in the gut. So while you are hypersensitive to lactose, you're not allergic to it. Lactose intolerance can not cause an anaphylactic reaction. Intolerance to milk proteins OTOH is an allergy, and therefore potentially dangerous. DS.

PPPPS. No more PS's. Promise!!"! DS.

Last edited:
I had no idea one could be allergic to penicillin, that must be annoying. :confused:

Little trivia: "adrenaline" is a trademark in the US and one has to use "epinephrine" instead (which is nothing else than the old Greek translation of the Latin term). At least it used to be.

Yes, I had Amoxiclav which is one type of it. Symptoms have gotten worse unfortunately now covering around 60 percent of my body. Doctor prescribed prednisolone, to help treat the symptoms but it hasn't seemingly done much yet.

The hope is that it is the pennicilin because then its likely to go away shortly as I last took a dose on Wednesday.

If not, they'll have to do tests as it potentially could be the mesh they put into my body. I hope it's not because that would mean another surgery....

Im going to see the doctor now again to check I should keep using the prednisolone or do something else.

Not great. No power, and my generator took a crap on me. I was only using it to power my refrigerator, but it's the cherry on top of this shit cake I'm eating.

I was lucky enough to be able to get an electrician coming out tomorrow. I have work at needs to be done before they restore power, but it might still be a week or more before they can get the grid in this area up and running.
I'm always in doubt whether it's proper to like posts like this. I appreciate being informed. But I don't appreciate the content of the information.

pibbuR who wants to be clear on this.

Half life of amoxicillin is 1 hour, so the drug is definitely out of your body. The reaction to it can still go on for days.

Regarding the mesh. Usually they are tolerated well, but I guess nothing is certain.

Regarding adrenaline/epinephrine. Both names are derived form the location of the glands, on top of the kidneys. Adrenaline is latin, after "ren", the latin name for kidney. Epinephrine is greek, after "nephros".

Crossing fingers for you. Don't they use meshes that are completely neutral?

It is meant to be but human body doesn't like foreign objects and you never know.

Doctor I saw now said to just continue with the steroids for now and see how it progresses for a few days. As long as I don't have a fever or strange new symptoms I shouldn't worry.

I said I would like to be a snake and she'd my skin...

Back
Top Bottom