Timothy Cain - Discoverability

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Tim talks about the discoverability of RPGs:

Discoverability

I talk about the sheer number of new games coming out and why that makes it hard to find a game you want to play, as well as making it hard for new games to find their customers.
More information.

Yup, the site is the main tool I use as well as the people that post here. This is truly the only place I learn about new/current games.

I don't think it's that hard to find games you want to play. It just takes a little more effort than it used to in sifting through the choices. I'd rather it be like this than not having enough.

It's not hard to find some games, but I "worry" that I will miss some obscure indie RPG gem that I would love, which is partly why I spend so much time reading news on this site.

I found RPGWatch while hunting for niche RPG releases that usually go unnoticed by most sites, and this site does a good job at spotting and reporting most of them. Discoverability is definitely a thing, and I suppose it's why companies which can afford it spend a significant part of their budget on marketing and promotion.

Money and timing are the two factors needed to keep your game noticed.

Well that and luck if your a small developer.

Back
Top Bottom