Skyrim Todd Howard says Skyrim "more alien"

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

DoctorNarrative

Patroling Written Words
I would have submitted this as news but it wanted a terrible security code thing, I hate those... captchka or whatever it is called.

Anyway... Eurogamer story here: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-03-10-skyrim-has-what-made-morrowind-special

Todd Howard says Oblivion sacrificed the alien world and sense of discovery Morrowind had. I freaking VERY much agree with him. He says Skyrim will walk a line between the two, which... I guess is better than nothing?

That is wonderful news, though I can't help wondering why they then chose to use Skyrim of all places? I was thinking Valenwood/ Elsweyr/ Blackmarsh, or Summerset Isles would have been more "alien" than something so seemingly conventional as Nords. No offence meant to Nords, but they just aren't as "alien" as elves or beasty critters.

Ooh, nice! It has dual-wielding too. I have a soft spot for dual-wielding. :D

Wait..- no classes? What in heck is that supposed to mean?

That is wonderful news, though I can't help wondering why they then chose to use Skyrim of all places? I was thinking Valenwood/ Elsweyr/ Blackmarsh, or Summerset Isles would have been more "alien" than something so seemingly conventional as Nords. No offence meant to Nords, but they just aren't as "alien" as elves or beasty critters.

I agree, Summerset Isle was pretty much begging to be used. Not only is it more alien, not only was it mentioned numerous times in Oblivion with some good plot threads, not only would the sload make for awesome villains, but it's a freaking ISLAND, which is perfect for open world games.

Oh well. It's probably the setting for TES6.

Oh well. It's probably the setting for TES6.

Ah, we can only hope! ..and hope that we wouldn't have to wait another 5 years before that appears.

Btw, I've had a look at and a think about the "classless" system, and I think it might turn out to be a better idea than what it looks like at first glance on paper.
I rather enjoy "hybrid" characters.

I'll believe it when I see it. Judging from everything I've seen so far, it sounds like Howard is full of shit.

Btw, I've had a look at and a think about the "classless" system, and I think it might turn out to be a better idea than what it looks like at first glance on paper.
I rather enjoy "hybrid" characters.

It's really not much different from the other games actually. I think most people tended to make their own class anyways. They simply removed the option to choose a pre-set class.

It's kind of funny - before Oblivion was even announced I was hoping that The Elder Scrolls would take a trip to Skyrim. Different things appeal to different people of course, but Norse-inspired settings are interesting to me and very rarely used, so I think that it already has a pretty unique angle.

It's really not much different from the other games actually. I think most people tended to make their own class anyways. They simply removed the option to choose a pre-set class.

A key difference I heard here is that the major/minor skill set is dynamic based on use rather than selecting them at character creation time.

i agree--bring on the lutefisk

A key difference I heard here is that the major/minor skill set is dynamic based on use rather than selecting them at character creation time.

That has a lot more to do with the leveling system, but yeah, I heard something like that also.

you guys should reserve your judgement more.

it could still suck, even with a great nothing to explore

That has a lot more to do with the leveling system, but yeah, I heard something like that also.

Well that is all that your class affected, pretty much, I think. Or were your initial skill levels affected by your major/minor class? In either case, after a point, initial values become insignificant.

Well that is all that your class affected, pretty much, I think. Or were your initial skill levels affected by your major/minor class? In either case, after a point, initial values become insignificant.

The classes themselves were insignificant, imo. All they did was choose certain skills that they imagined would be the most relevant to that type of character.

Basically all it did was save a few minutes of time for people who didn't want to go through the process of creating their own character.

And the classes were sort of misleading. If you really wanted to specialize in archery, and wanted to advance against the level scaled enemies, you'd make it minor skill, so your skill would grow faster than the leveled enemies.

Picking an "Archer" class would actually weaken your archer character. Pretty messed up class system...

I love the look of the new game, hands on for what I have seen it is the best looking game this year for rpg's. I hope gameply stands up with the graphics though, I am optimistic they will. I also think this will be another split the watch games.

Yeah, I never used a class in Oblivion or Morrowind. I think I did in Daggerfall, I don't remember it was so long ago.

Yes, you could actually choose to be an "Adventurer" class which allowed you to choose your major and minor classes yourself, which was more significant in Morrowind than Oblivion, in some ways.

Well, things certainly couldn't go worse than Ob anyway, and I'm really liking the sounds I hear of moving back closer to Morrowind's 'feel' and of a move back to complexity.

i agree—bring on the lutefisk

Hey! Lutefisk is delicious. I eat it at least every Christmas.

Says Pibbur who now knows what he'll eat the upcoming sunday, when the wife who for some reason doesn't like it is away.

i agree—bring on the lutefisk

I only know the Lutefisk from Hägar The Horrible comics ! :lol:

Hey! Lutefisk is delicious. I eat it at least every Christmas.

Says Pibbur who now knows what he'll eat the upcoming sunday, when the wife who for some reason doesn't like it is away.

So it really exists ? O_O I thought it was just an invention ! :lol:

Never seen it here, as far as I can recll.

Back
Top Bottom