Trudograd Review. Is it better than Fallout?

bjon045

SasqWatch
I've been playing ATOM: Trudograd for the past two weeks and here are my thoughts. My playthrough was done using an imported character from the original ATOM RPG which was fully completed just before playing Trudograd. I found ATOM to be a good game (6.5/10) but with plenty of issues which stopped it from being a great game. At many points in my review I will be comparing Trudograd to the original ATOM and their main source of inspiration, Fallout 1 & 2. Both ATOM and Trudograd were played with the latest available patches and I used a single mod for ATOM, which was to enable "Operation February", which was an exclusive time gated DLC.

Writing/Story -
The writing for the original ATOM was one of it's weakest points. I enjoyed the soviet style humour but the characters were generally poorly written and some have grammatical errors, even in the final patch. From the very start of Trudograd it was clear a big effort had been made to improve things. A rule of thumb I use to judge the quality of the writing is how often I skip through dialogues - and in the original I was guilty of doing this more often than not. However, the writing in Trudograd is generally engaging and characters often have meaningful stories to tell. There is far less repetition and conversations are fairly dynamic and can flow between multiple parties in a single conversation. It does however still have the "Additional questions" dialogue branch from the original game, where you ask what their name is, what they do and if they know any rumors - which still feels as clumsy as the original and if I am honest lead to most of the skim reading that I did in the game.

The english localisation is well done and I did not notice any major errors. Alexander Chernyavskiy (the main writer on both the original ATOM and Trudograd) credited this to the team putting a much larger focus on the english language version. Scott Hamm, who has done writing on Battle Brothers, Black Geyser, King's Bounty 2 and Age of Decadence, has done an excellent job as an Editor. It's definitely the best writing he has done so far in his career. According to his Linkedin page is wrote over 900k words across both ATOM games.

The main story is interesting but it is not the star of the show in Trudograd. I found that the little stories that the player uncovers by fully exploring the city and doing side-quests were the most rewarding. Many of the citizens of Trudograd have troubled pasts with secrets waiting to be uncovered. The friendly hobo who sings you a song if you give him a few rupees may be more than what he appears. I found it very rewarding getting into all these backstories and the lore of the city. The writers often leave it to the player to interpret what the "why" behind a characters motivations is.

The story does benefit from the player having played ATOM. There are references to events in ATOM throughout Trudograd and the player may not fully appreciate the meaning of these events. It can certainly be played without knowing the background story but the enjoyment may be lessened somewhat.

While the writing/story is not as good as Fallout 1/2 it's not significantly worse like how ATOM was.

Score: A

Location/Map design -
Despite being set in a single city Trudograd has a good variety of locations. The design is top notch and all the locations make sense and are highly believable i.e. The Factory looks like a functional factory with a well designed factory floor, warehouse, administration block and allowances for shipping/transport of goods. The Docks district has everything you would expect - brothel, gambling den, shipping warehouses, piers with moored boats etc. The designers have really put a lot of work into making the city of Trudograd come alive and it really pays off. I found exploring each new location highly rewarding. I never once got a sense of deja vu while playing - every location was distinct and nothing was borrowed from the first game.

The overworld map consists of the city and outskirts around Trudograd. Locations can be discovered by exploring location exits or uncovered through quests, talking to characters or reading books. The overworld map is significantly smaller in size (but not scope) than the original ATOM which significantly reduces time spent watching a dot move across the map - which is a good thing in my book.

For a classic isometric style cRPG Trudograd has done an exceptional job here, even surpassing Fallout 1/2.

Score: A+

Combat -
The combat from the original ATOM game was heavily based on the combat from Fallout 1&2 - which many people would consider a good thing. Trudograd doesn't make significant changes here. There are a few more tactical options i.e. stun grenades and some of the weapon skills have been tweaked. Melee and unarmed combat are more viable. Power Armour does add an additional system to combat as wearing it grants a bunch of combat abilities and unique weapons that can only be equipped when using the armour.

20221221144924_1.jpg

Combat is generally well balanced and largely optional. In the early game there are plenty of enemies which can be defeated by the player i.e. junkies. drunks etc. A large number of combats can be bypassed through conversation/attribute checks or stealth. It is possible to even complete the game without killing a single enemy! Although I imagine this would involve some save/loading and bypassing a small amount of content.

Score: A

Character Creation/System -
The character generator is heavily influenced by Fallout 1/2 with Attributes, Skills, Traits (Distinctions) and Perks (Abilities). In Trudograd it is largely the same as the original except skills now go up to 299 and bonus skill distinctions have been added at fixed skill level intervals i.e. 50, 100, 150 etc. Abilities are now also grouped into trees and have assigned tiers which govern how much they cost (rather than just having a linear increase per point spent like the original). The new character system is an improvement on the original and it gives a better sense of progression. Characters start at level 15 and can also be imported from the original and they retain their Attributes, Skills and distinctions (translated into Trudograd specific distinctions). Ability points are refunded and all attributes, skills and distinctions can be re-allocated during character creation. Any bonus distinctions earned during ATOM also transfer over i.e. "Streetwise", "Action Hero" and Tattoo's etc. No items are transferred. Bonus attribute points also are retained which can lead to you having a bit of a super human if you sought out all sources in the original i.e. (+5 extra Attribute points) and Trudograd (Another +3 Attributes) and choose certain stat boosting distinctions like "Retrograde" and "Lone Genius".
20221221142111_1.jpg

Trudograd is fairly generous with XP and you will find yourself leveling quite rapidly. If you are starting a new character you can progress up to level 20 fairly rapidly without doing any combat due to how each level requires more XP than the last - which helps prevent imported characters from being vastly more powerful than new characters (apart from Attributes).

Quests/NPC's -
Without a doubt this is where Trudograd shines. Gone are the fetch quests and kill a bandit etc. The quests and NPC's in Trudograd are outstanding both in variety and quality. Often follow-up quests can be triggered depending on how you solve each quest. Quests can involve investigations, interrogations, heists and rescue operations etc. Quests almost always have multiple ways to solve them and some solutions can involve very morally suspect decisions by the player. There is a vast amount of Choice and Consequence in the game. A good example of this is at one point in the game you encounter a wealthy capitalist who has been doing thought experiments on some poor unsuspecting residents. This is how it goes down:
  1. The player encounters a distressed family living in a rundown housing block.
  2. Player talks to each family member (3) and gets the lowdown on the problem they are facing.
  3. Player investigates the problem but doesn't find anything strange.
  4. Player goes back to the family and says what they have found out so far.
  5. Player goes back to the scene and waits till late at night and finds the capitalist up to no good.
  6. Player can kill said capitalist - which you are highly encouraged to do.
    1. Player goes back to family and tells them what to do - multiple ways to explain what happened to the capitalist.
  7. Player lets capitalist go by:
    1. Promising not to reveal the experiment and then not revealing it to the family - family continues to get more and more distressed.
    2. Promising not to reveal the experiment and then revealing it to the family - this will have consequences for the family involved.
    3. Promising not to reveal the experiment and then revealing it to the family but convincing them to pretend you haven't told them.
    4. Promising to reveal the experiment - this will have consequences for the family involved.
  8. If option 7 is chosen and you keep the capitalist happy then much later in the game a follow up quest becomes available (once you purchase a house) and that quest can also have multiple solutions/paths. This quest is not available is you kill him!
    1. Kill the capitalist and find a note on his body revealing his plans.
    2. Work with the capitalist and explore a hidden location.
Trudograd introduces choose-your-own-adventure style sequences consisting of images and important decisions. These can significantly change the outcome of the quest and often involved branching decision trees with multiple stat checks. These are a brilliant addition and you will find yourself looking forward to them. The artwork in these is hand drawn and serve to enhance the story being told.

20221221142258_1.jpg

Unlike ATOM, Trudograd has very few characters that serve no purpose. The player will encounter characters marked as "Passerby" or similar and these characters cannot be interacted with. In Atom they would have a few lines of meaningless poorly written dialogue which only really served to waste the players time. In Trudograd nearly all the characters have both interesting stories that can be revealed through skill checks or talking with other characters/interacting with objects. The vast majority of characters are involved (in some form) with one or more quests.

Items/Loot -
Trudograd heavily utilises the same items as ATOM. I was slightly let down that I pretty much used the same items for the entire game. Some of the existing items were tweaked but it felt like only a handful of new weapons were added which were mostly Chinese variations of Russian weapons. Power Armour was the best of the new items. It would of been good to have seen a few new European weapons like the fan favourite FN FAL make an appearance - odd since they included the FN Minimi which is a significantly rarer weapon.

The crafting system is also a disappointment. It is almost a carbon copy from ATOM. 95% of the recipes are straight from ATOM and the new recipes are just consumables/flavour items. I think there was only 1-2 new craftable weapons (Slime cocktail).

The only real change is the addition of a modification system for weapons. Mods can be attached by using the Tinkering skill.
20221221145207_1.jpg

Score: C

Graphics -
Trudograd is a big step up from the original ATOM. The level of detail has been improved significantly across the board. Characters models are generally unique and have better animations - especially in combat. Lighting was pretty basic in the first one but this time round it looks much more realistic. Textures are higher resolutions and they are far more varied.

Score: A-

Sounds -
While I quite enjoyed the Title song from the original, most of the music, ambient sound and effects were highly forgettable. The Trudograd title song isn't quite as memorable but the technical audio quality is better. Most of the sound effects have also been improved. Ambient noise is well done i.e. if you walk past a generator you can hear the generator doing it's thing and the sound fades out nicely as you walk away. The highlight for me was the sound of the Power Armour in the game (called Special Armour in the world of ATOM) - it sounds just like I thought it would sound like if such an armour existed in real life - imagine a mix of clanks and pistons.

Score: B-

Final Thoughts -
While I enjoyed the original ATOM it had some significant flaws i.e. weak writing, pacing issues cause by content bloat and balance issues. Trudograd addresses all these issues, introduces many Quality-of-life enhancements, and it presents a much more polished experience.

Did I enjoy playing Trudograd? The answer is a clear yes! I haven't had this much fun playing a cRPG in quite some time. I am surprised that I enjoyed it more than Wasteland 3. It would make my top 20 cRPG's of all time. After playing the original ATOM I was shocked at how good Trudograd is and I can't wait to see what the ATOMTeam deliver next!

If I had to order my favourite post-apoc cRPG's I would go with:
ATOM < Wasteland 2 < Wasteland 3 < Fallout < Trudograd < Fallout 2

Yes, I have scored Trudograd better than Fallout 1. If I took into account nostalgia I might score Fallout 1 higher but Trudograd is a better game.

Final score 9.25/10.

Last edited:
You should get a cut of the money I'm now going to spend on Trudograd. I played ATOM for a few hours, but the writing was too much of an issue. You've convinced me that they've addressed that sufficiently in the sequel, as well as lots of other improvements, that it's worth making another trip to post-apoc Russia.

I only used a single mod for ATOM which was to enable "Operation February", which was an exclusive time gated DLC.
What do you mean by time gated? Are you saying he released a DLC and then disabled it after a certain date? I'm curious why he would do that.

What do you mean by time gated? Are you saying he released a DLC and then disabled it after a certain date? I'm curious why he would do that.
It's only active when it's February (or thereabouts) in RL. Kind of like a "holiday event" you might see in a multiplayer game, but in a single-player game (weird). I happened to play the original ATOM during February (2022). If it wasn't for that coincidence, I'm not sure I'd have ever known it existed...

As far as Trudograd in general goes, I didn't think it was as big of an upgrade over the original ATOM as bjon045 seems to. Definitely far more polished, but I dunno. Both of them are great games. I don't think I'd rank Trudograd above Fallout 1 (this could be nostalgia because I haven't tried playing FO1 in 20 years), but it's definitely not that far behind the Fallout games. I do think I enjoyed both the ATOM games more than Wasteland 2 and 3.

It's only active when it's February (or thereabouts) in RL. Kind of like a "holiday event" you might see in a multiplayer game, but rather unusual for a single-player game.

I happened to play the original ATOM during February (2022). If it wasn't for that coincidence, I'm not sure I'd have ever known it existed...
Exactly. I should of marked them down for it but considering just how cheap Trudograd is I let them off the hook. I think I paid 6 dollars for Trudograd which is value for money without a doubt.

If anyone is planning on getting it I would wait for the upcoming Steam Winter Sale which I believe starts in less than 2 days!

Exactly. I should of marked them down for it but considering just how cheap Trudograd is I let them off the hook. I think I paid 6 dollars for Trudograd which is value for money without a doubt.

If anyone is planning on getting it I would wait for the upcoming Steam Winter Sale which I believe starts in less than 2 days!
Even without the sale, Trudograd is $11. Probably the best deal you'll ever see for a full-blown RPG with pretty good production values, that just came out a year ago.

Anyway, I also edited in some of my thoughts about ATOM and Trudograd to my previous reply.

I don't see it as a negative if it's a themed DLC. The dev probably just felt like it seemed out of place outside of that time of year.

How many companions can you acquire in ATOM and Trudograd? I've played a little of ATOM but not long enough to discover that.

Max of 3 at a time (plus a dog) in ATOM, and max of 2 at a time in Trudograd. The actual amount you can have can vary depending on the choices you make, those are just the maximums. Personally, I had 3 in ATOM (didn't bother with the dog) and 2 in Trudograd. You have full control over them in combat, and over their leveling, inventory, gear, etc.

Even without the sale, Trudograd is $11. Probably the best deal you'll ever see for a full-blown RPG with pretty good production values, that just came out a year ago.

Anyway, I also edited in some of my thoughts about ATOM and Trudograd to my previous reply.
Apart from the localisation issues ATOM also had poor balance in the early game. Unless you built your character a certain way combat is extremely painful until you get decent gear for your companions. In Trudograd most combat is quite doable unless it is a combat you are not supposed to win i.e. you go into a room with 4 bad guys with guns by yourself. Before you pick up Hex and your faction companion overland battles can sometimes be a bit tough if you are unlucky though I do admit.
Max of 3 at a time (plus a dog) in ATOM, and max of 2 at a time in Trudograd. The actual amount you can have can vary depending on the choices you make, those are just the maximums. Personally, I had 3 in ATOM (didn't bother with the dog) and 2 in Trudograd. You have full control over them in combat, and over their leveling, inventory, gear, etc.
I was the same, except I ran with the dog and not Alex. I didn't even realise he was an option because I didn't upgrade the house until endgame.

I don't see it as a negative if it's a themed DLC. The dev probably just felt like it seemed out of place outside of that time of year.
It isn't themed though as far as I remember.

Yeah, the original ATOM can be extremely hard early in the game, even on normal mode, if you don't know what you're doing (ie going in completely blind). But I like that in an RPG personally. It should be hard early on, you should have to struggle to scrap by, makes it feel more rewarding once you "get on your feet" so to speak.

Yeah, the original ATOM can be extremely hard early in the game, even on normal mode, if you don't know what you're doing (ie going in completely blind). But I like that in an RPG personally. It should be hard early on, you should have to struggle to scrap by, makes it feel more rewarding once you get "on your feet", so to speak.
Generally agree but I thought ATOM went too far. Certain builds were near impossible (combat I mean) until certain items are acquired. For instance I played a character with 6 dex and pistol spec and combat was basically not viable. I heard melee and unarmed was even worse. Enemies would one hit me and i'd hit for 10-15 damage (4-5 hits to kill one enemy!). I didn't get a decent SMG like the Skorpion and decent armour until I was level 13 (I was unlucky with merchants) and only then it was somewhat doable. Whereas if you specced 10 dex and a rifle/auto the game was much easier on normal/hard. Unfortunately, the endgame suffered from the opposite problem - it was just too easy. It was quite viable to have 6 dex once you had top of the line gear and if you had a min-max build the game was trivial.

I'd prefer most builds to be somewhat viable and enjoyable. It would of been partially recitified by just making merchants better and no level scaling for them. I had over 20k rupees at level 10 and there was nothing to spend it on because the merchants had crap because I wasn't high enough level.

Welcome to the club @bjon045 I've been saying for years both of these games are the best Fallout clones to play. Whats amazing is they were both made on a small budget.

Just imagine if they get a larger budget.:unsure:

I know they mentioned last year they have a new game in pre-production. There was supposed to be an announcement this year, but that looks to have been vastly delayed.

I'm guessing the war put a damper on production.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, the endgame suffered from the opposite problem - it was just too easy. It was quite viable to have 6 dex once you had top of the line gear and if you had a min-max build the game was trivial.
The inverse difficulty curve is extremely common in this genre. It's somewhat hard to find crpgs that don't suffer from it.

I've not played the additional content for Atom yet, though I have declared my love for the base game. I'd rank it right there with the first two Fallouts for sheer enjoyment and, rather than having to pick which franchise I enjoy best, I'm just going to stick with liking 'em both. And yup, I plan on playing Trudogard part at some point.

Trudograd for me was a case of less is more. A smaller overland map. Less NPC's (but also higher quality). Generally smaller maps with less lootable containers. A shorter playtime i.e. I finished Trudograd in 46 hours (close to 100% for a single faction playthrough) vs 70 hours for ATOM (every available quest completed).

I think as I get older I am starting to appreciate smaller and higher quality experiences over a 100 hour+ epic. It will be interesting to see how I feel about BG3.

Some further tips/hints I have for Trudograd:
  1. You can ignore most of the "recommended" character builds out there for Trudograd. I played on the highest difficulty setting and it was a lot easier than the original ATOM. If you are not importing a character maybe stick with normal. The only thing I would recommend is starting with a dex of 8 (or higher) and a personality of 6 (or higher - just so you don't have to waste time with consumables). You do not need an optimal build for Trudograd and if you have a decent speechcraft skill you can level up a lot by just doing quests and not fighting.
  2. Pickup the faction specific companion as soon as possible and Hex (if available - it depends on your selections at the start of the game). Unlike ATOM quest xp is shared with companions and they can also level up quickly. In my playthrough Blaze and Hex could finish most battles without me even participating.
  3. Pretty much all the walkthroughs are somewhat out of date. There are a bunch of extra quests now and a headquarters that you can upgrade. There are 3 (at least) stat boosting serums now and you also get a near permanent strength boost at your base. You can now finish the game without even joining a faction if you want.
  4. Overland battles can normally be skipped with Speechcraft and Survival/Stealth. As long as you have two of these you can skip most of these fights (which I would recommend unless you LOVE fighting).
  5. Combat typically gives less xp than the non-combat options to solve quests/encounters. There are exceptions though, and the best way to get money is by fighting and looting the weapons. There is plenty of weapons/money/armour etc in the game and you do not need to spend time grinding for it unless you really want to.

My first impression was not good. The guy they got to narrate the prologue (where you tell the game what happened in the first game) was so cringey I was squirming in my chair. And then you're dropped into a place where every conversation is about prostitutes and how to pick up girls.

I haven't given up that fast, but I reinstalled Spellforce 3 and have gotten into it this time.

Don't remember the prologue exactly, but the voiceovers on things like the "story screens" (not sure what to call them, bjon045 called them "choose-your-own-adventure style sequences") are pretty bad and hilarious. I figured it was intentionally campy. Dunno, but didn't bother me that much.

The ATOM world is a Soviet equivelent/parody of the Fallout games with a heavy eastern european style to it and if that isn't your cup of tea then it would think it will impact your enjoyment. I have played a lot of Russian style games and Trudograd is one of the more polished (the devs are Ukranian, Latvian and Polish). The voice actors certainly aren't professionals though! I imagine they are friends/fans of the devs or even the devs themselves! I don't think they could afford Ron Perlman...:LOL:

I think there are 3 hookers and one pimp in the prologue zone and then there is one brothel in the docks. Fallout 2 went pretty heavy on the hookers and hooker jokes too and even had a quest around creating a pornographic film (which is pretty much duplicated in the first ATOM game). In Fallout 1/2 you would pick up STD's from sleeping with the wrong hooker etc (also replicated in the original ATOM). The hooker jokes are pretty much limited to those two locations which are a very small portion of the total game though.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom