Ubisoft - Removes Games From Steam

FC4 looks like the same superficial kind of freeroam shooter as its predecessor. Those can be fun to roam around in for a while, until you discover how samey, bland and "systemic" everything is.

They're the Assassin's Creed of shooters.

DE:HR is a passionate work of art, where everything feels hand-crafted and meaningful - even if I don't agree with all of their design decisions.

Which one is more of an RPG? I don't know and I don't care. AC can be considered RPGs as well. I don't see why it matters. But, then again, I never fretted about genres.

I enjoyed FC2 and FC3. But they're not in the same league as DE:HR.

Yeah, while I really liked FC 3 and especially Blood Dragon (also 2 and 1, but that's besides the point), it's not an RPG.

I thought FC1 was great for its time, but FC2 was a huge disappointment for me. Let's make an open-world shooter where nothing you do matters. What's the point of having a destructible environment and then having everything respawn within minutes?

For clarification, I enjoyed Deus Ex:HR much more than any of the farcry's but DE:HR definitely had its flaws. Bosses, invincibility of hiding in vents and the terrible ending in which your choices didn't matter and you just pressed the button of the ending you wanted.

As for them being rpg's. I don't consider either much of an rpg but many people do consider DE:HR an rpg. If your just comparing rpg traits both games are pretty similar and thus my comparison of the 2.

As for whether it matters. Not at all, but the question was asked. Kinda.:)

@Dart, how do you judge how much passion is put in to a project? Isn't it very possible that the Farcry dev's put just as much passion it to their game but are passionate about different things than you are.

FC3 is awsome. And I, DLC hater, bought it's Blood Dragon DLC. As it's a standalone game!
I still won't buy FC4. Why? Season pass scam. Their mother will probably buy it, just not me. Sooner or later they'll learn it was not a good way to do business.

There is a huge difference between Ubi and EA.
Ubi, for all I know, never bought then ruined a developer company. EA does that *all* the time. Okay, there was a certain misfortune moment with Blackhole studio, but we'll never know the real truth what really happened there.

Another thing is scamware on phones. How many scamware Ubi made that are clones of EA's Dungeon Keeper and Dragon Age Heroes?
None.

With all Ubi's recent bullshit about cinematics, 30 FPS and other crap statements, sorry, it's still only an empty talk, not the mass destruction of developers and franchises EA continues to perform!

Sorry guys, but between evil Ubi and evil EA, I'll choose Ubi any day.

I don't find them very similar at all to be honest. FC is pretty much a pure shooter with a few RPG aspects. Things like exploration and skills are in a lot of genres, and having a story is something that's in pretty much any type of game.

JDR, having FC3 story is not pretty much in any type of game.
I didn't play FC 1 nor 2 (and won't buy them).

@Dart, how do you judge how much passion is put in to a project? Isn't it very possible that the Farcry dev's put just as much passion it to their game but are passionate about different things than you are.

It's because I care about how people work and I tend to follow development of certain games closely and I study the key people involved in development and under what conditions they work.

It sometimes happens when games I expect to be shit turn out to be surprises. We all know what happened to DE:IW - and I expected nothing but crap from the sequel. But the more I heard from the developers at Eidos Montreal - the more I started to turn around. Canadian developers also tend to function a bit differently from american developers.

Mostly, it's about watching their faces when they speak - and picking up on small details that most people would probably miss, especially when they're speaking about their design process and what they're trying to do with the games in question. In this case, I listened carefully for whether they understood Deus Ex - and what they took from that game. It became clear to me that this wasn't just a job for them, it was a dream come true and they knew what they were doing.

I'm sure the Far Cry developers are passionate (most people are), they just don't have the freedom to develop the game as they see fit, because the publisher mandate is harsher and more conservatively about playing it safe for profit - and the development cycle is quite short for the scope of the games in question. Which means there's no way to pull off a truly meaningful free-form experience.

It's the same with the Assassin's Creed games - because the games are actually really huge and they have short development cycles on top, which - rationally - means factory line products based on blueprints. It's inevitable.

There's no artist in the world who can be all that he or she wants to be under those restrictions. It's basic human psychology, really.

DE:HR was a rare exception, because the developers were set free to create a Deus Ex sequel with only a handful of suit restrictions, the worst being the boss fights you mentioned.

Really, given the climate of the industry during that time, I consider DE:HR a near miracle. DE:HR along with other very rare examples like The Witcher 2 really helped pave the way for developers of future AAA games.

Unfortunately, they weren't huge hits - but they were still quite successful.

I haven't bought a big UBI game in years anyway, they all seem to come from the same template. I loved the first 2 Assassin's Creed games but now it seems all their games are like that and the sameness is boring and predictable.

As long as they put out games like M&MX and Valiant Hearts I don't mind though. Not all games have to be for me.

DE HR is about as good as generic AAA games can get, unfortunately Eidos Montreal devolved very quickly after that.

I haven't bought a big UBI game in years anyway, they all seem to come from the same template. I loved the first 2 Assassin's Creed games but now it seems all their games are like that and the sameness is boring and predictable.

As long as they put out games like M&MX and Valiant Hearts I don't mind though. Not all games have to be for me.

Indeed, it's so generic and bland, it all comes from 300-400 men team in their Montreal sweatshops.

It's become so bad and monstrous now that I posted an article the other day about how Ubisoft Montreal pays dozens and dozens and employees to sit in a dirty room all day and do nothing for months on end until they are possibly reassigned to other projects, and if they want other opportunities they have to apply for game projects as if they weren't employees of the company.

Ultimately it will and it does shine through in everything they make.

Based on what? Thief 4?

Thief 4 was done by a different team within that development house.

There was a lot of overlap among the staff. Eidos Montreal isn't a huge sea of people like Ubisoft or EA Montreal. I at least for HR the smaller size did help (they were from 35-50 employees working on the game).

There was a lot of overlap among the staff. Eidos Montreal isn't a huge sea of people like Ubisoft or EA Montreal. I at least for HR the smaller size did help (they were from 35-50 employees working on the game).

The staff isn't really relevant. I'm talking about the key people - and the lead developers.

If you've followed development behind the scenes, you'd know that the previous team - the one behind DE:HR - literally left the rooms in which Thief 4 would be developed, handing over the torch to the new team. They talk about this in the DE:HR behind the scenes videos.

Both EA and Ubi are in 'call of duty' mode in terms of generic game production. It is just a business model for them to keep afloat in the market.

I am not saying that there are no hard working people and talents in these organisations, but I don't expect much innovation either.

I don't find them very similar at all to be honest. FC is pretty much a pure shooter with a few RPG aspects. Things like exploration and skills are in a lot of genres, and having a story is something that's in pretty much any type of game.

They both felt like pure shooters with some rpg elements to me which is why I said they are similar.

My opinion isn't written in stone though and is obviously based on my recollection of both games.

It's possible that my memory is deceiving me but I can't think of any rpg traits that DE:HR had that were absent in Farcry 3. (which also are present in 4)

I'm not saying they're similar in quality as I already stated I found DE:HR superior but as far as rpg traits they seem to be similar.

Refresh my memory if I'm wrong.

If Deus Ex felt like a pure shooter to you then maybe you played the wrong game. ;)

Does Farcry 3 have dialogue trees and C&C that can result from them?

It's because I care about how people work and I tend to follow development of certain games closely and I study the key people involved in development and under what conditions they work.

It sometimes happens when games I expect to be shit turn out to be surprises. We all know what happened to DE:IW - and I expected nothing but crap from the sequel. But the more I heard from the developers at Eidos Montreal - the more I started to turn around. Canadian developers also tend to function a bit differently from american developers.

Mostly, it's about watching their faces when they speak - and picking up on small details that most people would probably miss, especially when they're speaking about their design process and what they're trying to do with the games in question. In this case, I listened carefully for whether they understood Deus Ex - and what they took from that game. It became clear to me that this wasn't just a job for them, it was a dream come true and they knew what they were doing.

I'm sure the Far Cry developers are passionate (most people are), they just don't have the freedom to develop the game as they see fit, because the publisher mandate is harsher and more conservatively about playing it safe for profit - and the development cycle is quite short for the scope of the games in question. Which means there's no way to pull off a truly meaningful free-form experience.

It's the same with the Assassin's Creed games - because the games are actually really huge and they have short development cycles on top, which - rationally - means factory line products based on blueprints. It's inevitable.

There's no artist in the world who can be all that he or she wants to be under those restrictions. It's basic human psychology, really.

DE:HR was a rare exception, because the developers were set free to create a Deus Ex sequel with only a handful of suit restrictions, the worst being the boss fights you mentioned.

Really, given the climate of the industry during that time, I consider DE:HR a near miracle. DE:HR along with other very rare examples like The Witcher 2 really helped pave the way for developers of future AAA games.

Unfortunately, they weren't huge hits - but they were still quite successful.

Thanks for the thoughtful response. I can see where your coming from.

You definitely seem to do your homework on the development process of certain games.

I honestly don't follow that closely anymore due to time constraints and I like to go into games blind. I have certainly gotten burned quite a few times buying games that were bad but when the game is good and I don't know much about it it really enhances the experience and even lends to some real wow moments.

I guess it's getting a bit off topic but since they put the games back on steam it's kind of a dead thread anyway.:)

If Deus Ex felt like a pure shooter to you then maybe you played the wrong game. ;)

Does Farcry 3 have dialogue trees and C&C that can result from them?

No it didn't have dialogue trees but it does have C&C and multiple endings. They are actually pretty similar to DX:HR also in that it doesn't really matter what you did all game you can pick one choice at the end to determine your ending.

DE:HR does have 3 choices compared to FC3's 2 and it is possible to not get one of the options in DE:HR. So I guess DE:HR does get a slight nod for C&C and has dialouge trees which FC3 lacks.

Farcry 4 has exploration, character progression, skills, crafting and story. While it's a stretch and definitely not a deep rpg I'd say it's just as much of an rpg as Deus Ex: HR.

Really? This sounds good. Is Farcry a pc game? Are the earlier episodes like this too?
Okay read more of the thread. I need to pick up Farcry and at least look at it.

Really? This sounds good. Is Farcry a pc game? Are the earlier episodes like this too?
Okay read more of the thread. I need to pick up Farcry and at least look at it.

As long as you realize it's first and foremost a first-person shooter. If I were you, I'd check out some YouTube videos.

Back
Top Bottom