What games are you playing now?

In between short Talos Principle sessions I also started playing Life is Strange (Ep. 1-5 was 40% off last weekend). I'm really digging it and am now looking forward to the developer's upcoming Vampyr game.

I was playing Wasteland II. I took a break to do some FNV modding, but I can't really stir up much interest to get back to it. It just feels kind of monotonous :( After the first 10 character levels or so, the combat is all the same and it just becomes a matter of clearing one area after another…

I stopped at Canyon of Titan, which feels like it's possibly 1/3 of the way into the game.

I've been going back and forth on whether to refund The Division or not. And I decided to keep it. And honestly, it's not that bad. Some of the things I don't agree with, but some are actually quite cool. Here's a list of some of my observations

+ The graphics engine is jaw-dropping. Some of the best weather/environmental effects I've ever seen. Also, some of the best lighting I've ever seen. I think it's only in The Witcher 3 that I've seen something comparable. But this one is even better. It's a lot crisper and clearer (at least on PC). And this leads to some of the most atmospheric locations ever. The underground subways are amazing.
+ The gameplay/combat/movement/shooting mechanics are actually top notch. Some people are complaining that it's not as twitchy as they'd like. Well, that's one of the best reasons its good, in my book. I want a balance between how in control I am of my character and how smooth/authentic the animations are. I don't appreciate games where animation is cut down to the minimum amount of frames just to give the players full control. If I as a player make a decision to move somewhere, I want to suffer at least some penalty if I want to change my mind. This leads to a much more fulfilling experience, for me at least.
+ Sound is great also, with plenty of spacial awareness. I don't know how many times I've been aware of a characters positioning just due to sound. Music is so-so. I don't really notice it, except for the few more emotionally packed scenes.
+/- The item progression is there, and it's not as bad as I initially thought. The weapon progression is quite good. What's not as good is the armor progression. Most of them are absolutely boring/generic stuff. Finding knee-pads will never be exciting :D
They also decoupled the cosmetic items from the gameplay affecting items. Meaning you can visually customize your hero any way you want (with what you have available of course), and choose the armor you want just based on stats. The weapons, on the other hand, are not that way. What weapon your're carrying is what's represented on your avatar.
- The world sometimes feels very empty. The best examples of this was, as I said, running through the subway system, which looks amazing visually, but you most likely find just some recordings or nothing at all. Except for more environmental storytelling. And the usually thugs searching a dead body
- While he main and some side quests feature unique story telling and locations, though the side ones are a bit light on both, the majority of random encounters and optional stuff are absolutely cut&pasted with the same mechanics. I counted 3 optional mission types so far (starting city services (water valves,etc) after clearing the area of enemies, performing timed virus runs through the environment and fighting back thugs/cleaners (basically a time trial of sorts) and briefcase carrying missions).
- The enemies are way too generic and copy-pasted. I basically fought just thugs and cleaners so far. And this is mostly probably due to the setting. All enemies will be humanoids. There's no way around that. Disappointing really.

I haven't gotten into any multiplayer (cooperative or pvp) and will likely only do so after I finish the main questline. The issue with coop for me is that people aren't really concerned with exploring the environment and looking for story tidbits. Most just run through everything, killing stuff as fast as possible.

Anyways, after getting over some of the bad-taste in my mouth from the early impressions, and accepting its shortcomings, I'm actually having a good time exploring. But it's a really terrible shame that this sort of effort went to waste on such a project. I can't help imagining what this sort of engine and huge development team could do with a much more substantative open-world rpg with much more of a narrative focus.

And I've just had my first Dark zone experience in the Division. Granted, I'm not very high level, just level 9, but it was pretty cool. It was tense as hell. I managed to kill a rogue agent (a player that attacks other players is marked as rogue for other players, and his general location appears on the map for people to hunt him down. And I also managed to extract some contaminated items. True, the experience will become diluted with repetition, but it was cool nontheless.

And I've put the Division down once again. I don't know why I keep doing this. I think the Division is turning into my new diablo. They're very addicting and they somehow keep getting me to put hours into these item grinds. But if I detach from them, I don't feel that time is well spent. It's just a short-loop treadmill, that while rewarding on a primitive level, I always get away feeling drained. I need to keep working on these issues of myself. But it's very hard. They somehow manage to tap into my obsessive compulsiveness.

Playing Dragon Age Inquisition in my PS3 (got it for $7 so might as well). Yeah, I mean I can see myself enjoying the game as long as I try to forget it's "Dragon Age". The tactical mode is pretty much useless, seems to be less abilities overall, and less synergy. Also, don't remember if I could do it in DA2 but there doesn't seem to be a way to quick switch between ranged and melee weapons.
Trying a dual-wielder rogue, but more often than not when I hit the big attack behind a mob, it moved away and I miss (and then have to wait for the ability to recharge).

After some Titan Quest have been playing Dragon Dogma. Started playing the former because I was considering Grim Dawn - enjoying TQ enough to purchase Grim Dawn, mawr meat for the backlog. Dragon Dogma is pretty good - console ported UI is a bit ho-hum… I might try playing it with a controller but am only 10th level so early days. Disliking single save/character. Wish I could go first person. Otherwise its pretty good. The pawn system is inspired - especially using pawns to also populate places with npc's. Oh and the bright chat bubbles over quest npcs, god I hate that. Same with health bars over my pawns. Put all the health bars down the bottom or side of screen. Make quest NPCs wave and call you over or something more immersive or describe where they'll be and what they look like in the quest log, whatever.

So I managed to complete Cadwell's Silver after fully exploring a second alliance - Ebonheart pact. Started Cadwell's Gold in Stros M'kai so I can play throuhg the Daggerfall Covent zones and quests. Also finished the Aldmeri Dominion Master Fisherman. All this is ESO.

For Fallout 4, finally finished questing and fully exploring every inch (including underwater in the ocean) except the Glowing Sea and the main quest that leads me there. Will be giving power armor a workout for that area. Hope I have enough fusion cores for thorough exploration. I maust have about 150 by now. :)

Four hours into Grim Dawn. Really well put together, good graphics and atmosphere. I'm not sure I'll last a full playthrough though, I'm not a massive Diablo style fan really .

I've been in the mood for pure action-RPGs lately which is rare for me. I think I'm going to purchase Grim Dawn, but I've decided to give Path of Exile another try first.

I tried most of the classes, but I'm sticking with my Templar who is currently level 11 and exploring The Submerged Passage.

I'm not a fan of the level design, and 95% of the loot is garbage, but I really, really like the design and animations of the monsters in this game.

I also installed the demo for Titan Quest because I was thinking of giving that another try as well. Unfortunately the demo doesn't want to run on Windows 8.1, so I just watched some YouTube footage instead. For some reason that game just didn't grab me when I tried it before, and I don't think that's going to change.

I was in a mood for some old school gaming, so I've started a new run in Might and Magic 3: Isles of Terra. While it's very familiar (MM3 & WoX are two of my favorite go-to games), it's been long enough that I forgot how much more brutal the early game is compared to later Might and Magic games (not to mention modern games).

I played a few hours of Dwarf Run and it's quite a good game actually.

No voice acting is the only weird thing nowadays, but that's not a gamebreaker.

The game is well done, combat is fun and the puzzles are fun.

Yes, I've only heard positive things about Dwarf Run and have added it to my mental short-list as a result. I'd still be interested in a full RPGwatch review at some point before I commit to buy though.

Yes, I've only heard positive things about Dwarf Run and have added it to my mental short-list as a result. I'd still be interested in a full RPGwatch review at some point before I commit to buy though.

Unfortunately, I do not think I'll be able to write a review. I'd welcome to write one.
The game is very entertaining.

I'm a few more hours into Grim Dawn. I keep thinking I'm going to get bored of it and put it down, but then I keep coming back to it...

My main gripe is that I really don't like the way that all the enemies respawn when you turn the game off. I tend to play games in bursts these days, and this means I end up leaving the game paused for long periods rather than just shutting it off. I get the impression this is usual in Diablo clones, but I've never played one before so I wasn't expecting it. I'll probably get used to it - I'm not rabidly anti respawn - but just wish it wasn't triggered by turning the game off.

My next gripe will sound a little perverse after that, but when you die you leave some experience behind at a "grave marker" that you can reclaim if you go back. It's a bit Dark Soulsey, but because monsters don't respawn when you die there is no risk associated with it. It basically just punishes you with a slightly dull trip back through a load of empty areas to get back to the point where you died. It's not a major complaint, but I'm just not sure what that mechanic really adds to the game.

Having said that, the exploration is great fun with lots of hidden details and there is a real sense of character progression - you can certainly have fun slaughtering hordes of low level enemies with your new skills that once caused you grief. I've gone with a soldier build (holding off choosing a second class for the minute) and tearing through the hordes with my two handed sword is somehow very satisfying!

I just reached Act 2 in Path of Exile, and I'm really surprised at how much I'm enjoying it. This might be the first Diablo clone in a long time that I actually play all the way through to the end.

The atmosphere reminds me of the original Diablo in a way. Very dark and oppressive. The visuals, animations, and music are all very well done. It's hard to believe this is a F2P game.

Yes, it's a wonderfully well put together game. Just one thing though, you're not really supposed to 'end' it. Or maybe you are, who knows. Anyway, everyone loves the first parts, its when it gets to Merciless that you decide whether it's your cup of tea or not as thet's when the trading aspect really starts to kick in, the bit the game's primarily designed/balanced around. Unless they've done away with that now, I haven't read their forums for a few months so missed the last couple of updates.

I just reached Act 2 in Path of Exile, and I'm really surprised at how much I'm enjoying it. This might be the first Diablo clone in a long time that I actually play all the way through to the end.

The atmosphere reminds me of the original Diablo in a way. Very dark and oppressive. The visuals, animations, and music are all very well done. It's hard to believe this is a F2P game.

Do you need to spend any money?

I am playing XCOM 2. I've finished the 2 tutorial missions. I'm liking it so far :)

Do you need to spend any money?

No, you don't need to spend any money. The only purchasable thing that impacts gameplay at all is Stash Tabs. If you've played long enough to warrant needing/wanting a hoard of items then a few dollars for more Stash Tabs is still very a minimalistic contribution.

Back
Top Bottom