What games are you playing now?

Yep, I had to do the same thing recently when I replayed it. I also used the FOV slider mod - as I always felt Dead Space was a bit too over-the-top with its forced and extremely narrow FOV.

I get why they did it - but I hate it :)

That said, I agree it holds up very well - especially for a game from 2008 or something.

Consequently, I'm not really excited or even interested in the remake. They seem to be super faithful - meaning it will be the exact same game in all the meaningful ways, I fear.

I would definitely have preferred a more interesting progression system and some expanded exploration.

Yep, I had to do the same thing recently when I replayed it. I also used the FOV slider mod - as I always felt Dead Space was a bit too over-the-top with its forced and extremely narrow FOV.

I get why they did it - but I hate it :)

That said, I agree it holds up very well - especially for a game from 2008 or something.

Consequently, I'm not really excited or even interested in the remake. They seem to be super faithful - meaning it will be the exact same game in all the meaningful ways, I fear.

I would definitely have preferred a more interesting progression system and some expanded exploration.
The main thing I think the remake could do better than the original is the lighting. While the 2008 version still holds up overall, there's no doubt in my mind that the lighting is way better in the remake, since we're talking about completely different tech in terms of the lighting. That's the main thing I found surprising while staring up the original now, that it is very bright compared to how I remembered it. We'll see how it progresses, it might be just that the start is a lot brighter.

Also, the physics engine in Dead Space always seemed wonky in how the body parts fly around. So a more realistic take on that could also improve things, I think.

And maybe they could also improve the controls a little bit.

The main thing I think the remake could do better than the original is the lighting. While the 2008 version still holds up overall, there's no doubt in my mind that the lighting is way better in the remake, since we're talking about completely different tech in terms of the lighting. That's the main thing I found surprising while staring up the original now, that it is very bright compared to how I remembered it. We'll see how it progresses, it might be just that the start is a lot brighter.

Also, the physics engine in Dead Space always seemed wonky in how the body parts fly around. So a more realistic take on that could also improve things, I think.

And maybe they could also improve the controls a little bit.
Oh, I have no doubt it will be significantly better in a visual sense.

It's just that I think Dead Space looks "good enough" to be enjoyed without breaking immersion.

For me, that's key.

Obviously, if the remake is the same game with better visuals - that's the one to go for in the future.

But since I replayed DS1 and DS2 recently, I don't think I'll play them again for years.

Oh, I have no doubt it will be significantly better in a visual sense.

It's just that I think Dead Space looks "good enough" to be enjoyed without breaking immersion.

For me, that's key.

Obviously, if the remake is the same game with better visuals - that's the one to go for in the future.

But since I replayed DS1 and DS2 recently, I don't think I'll play them again for years.
Yeah, and I do want to finish it in the original form. I was thinking about just waiting for the remake, but it feels a bit disrespectful when the old one is still as good as it is.

Yeah, and I do want to finish it in the original form. I was thinking about just waiting for the remake, but it feels a bit disrespectful when the old one is still as good as it is.
I don't think the game will mind :)

But I get it.

Personally, I would probably wait for the remake for the optimal experience.

I don't think the game will mind :)

But I get it.

Personally, I would probably wait for the remake for the optimal experience.
If there would be official guarantee that they would remake the second one, I probably could wait. But I have a feeling they won't remake the second one. I don't think it will be as successful financially. Horror games generally don't sell very well, and I wonder if the remake will make enough money to guarantee the sequel will be remade.

If there would be official guarantee that they would remake the second one, I probably could wait. But I have a feeling they won't remake the second one. I don't think it will be as successful financially. Horror games generally don't sell very well, and I wonder if the remake will make enough money to guarantee the sequel will be remade.
It's hard to say.

I think it depends on their expectations. They originally destroyed the franchise because of very high expectations that weren't met - so if they're going into this, with remakes of 10+ year old games, with similarly unrealistic expectations, you'd have to assume they really are just vacuums in suits :)

Not that such a thing would be a surprise at all.

But even if they did remake DS2 - it would be at least another year, so I think your decision makes sense.

I'm playing Hard West 2 on easy. For me, it is just the wrong side of frustrating but engaging enough that I haven't shelved it. It feels too precise, that there is no real scope for doing things in different ways. I have utter respect for those who play on harder settings. I don't like when scum saving becomes an essential part of every characters turn. I like the setting, the acting and the story, it's possibly a bit dull with regards to character abilities, could have been more varied. When HW2 winds me up too much, I relax with some Two Point Campus which is a joyful time waster of trying to calculate toilet to students ratio.

I'm playing Hard West 2 on easy. For me, it is just the wrong side of frustrating but engaging enough that I haven't shelved it. It feels too precise, that there is no real scope for doing things in different ways. I have utter respect for those who play on harder settings. I don't like when scum saving becomes an essential part of every characters turn. I like the setting, the acting and the story, it's possibly a bit dull with regards to character abilities, could have been more varied. When HW2 winds me up too much, I relax with some Two Point Campus which is a joyful time waster of trying to calculate toilet to students ratio.
There's no need to get all the optional objectives... If that's what making you rush or save scum then just don't. Most just give a bit of extra money.

For the n-th time I tried Destiny 2, since I like the shooting mechanics a lot, and man, I thought the singleplayer story mission progression was broken some time ago when I last tried it, but before the latest expansions.

It's absolutely unbelievable what a mess the game is, in terms of having a fluent transition from story mission to story mission, especially for the player that is not really aware of all the changes that have occured.

They basically retired the whole main campaign that Destiny 2 launched with, and it was a mess even then, but now it's beyond disorganized. I started a new character, which somehow still partially has original start that Destiny 2 started with, but then takes a turn. I had to then quit the game to do something else, and when I returned it basiscally started some other main mission that seems to be the season the game is on. With a cinematic and all. With absolutely no context for the player as to who is what, what is where, it just throws you into a mission.

It's shocking how mismanaged this whole thing is. They wanted their game to suffer world state changes that affect the whole game, but made no effort to guide the player or give context as to what happened, who is everybody, etc etc.

At this rate I don't think I'll ever get into Destiny. It started off on the wrong foot, with none of the context from Destiny 1 on PC (since that was only on console). Then they cut the initial start of Destiny 2. Then they apparently retire some of the content they added later on. And now you don't know what is what. I have no idea how a new player gets into this game. I don't believe it's all veterans. Or do people just not care about the narrative and context of everything?

I didn't think Destiny 2 was bad, but it didn't hold my interest for long. It's just very generic and mainstream.

If you're playing for the story though, you're playing for the wrong reasons. I doubt many Destiny 2 players care about context much if at all.

What happened to your Dead Space playthrough?

I didn't think Destiny 2 was bad, but it didn't hold my interest for long. It's just very generic and mainstream.

If you're playing for the story though, you're playing for the wrong reasons. I doubt many Destiny 2 players care about context much if at all.

What happened to your Dead Space playthrough?
I guess, but even if you don't care about the story you at least would want it to follow some steps, and not just whiplash you around, with no explanation. Anyway, it might be my last attempt at Destiny.

About Dead Space, I think I may be getting a bit burned out on so many games, since I can't seem to settle on something concrete to play, and Dead Space seems to take too much mental strain and stress for me. I wanted something lighter where I can also be halfway brain dead.

About Dead Space, I think I may be getting a bit burned out on so many games, since I can't seem to settle on something concrete to play, and Dead Space seems to take too much mental strain and stress for me. I wanted something lighter where I can also be halfway brain dead.
Understandable. You also played through Alien: Isolation recently, so it might be time to give those nerves a break.

Seems I'm really drifting. For some reason I installed FEAR 1, since I don't think I finished the expansions or the other sequels. Only the base game. And it holds up shockingly well. After some fiddling. And I even got it to run at my native resolution.

But I'm slowly losing motivation to push forward. Yeah, I think I may need a break from gaming.

Seems I'm really drifting. For some reason I installed FEAR 1, since I don't think I finished the expansions or the other sequels. Only the base game. And it holds up shockingly well. After some fiddling. And I even got it to run at my native resolution.

But I'm slowly losing motivation to push forward. Yeah, I think I may need a break from gaming.
Maybe a genre/style switch?

You were just talking about mental strain and stress and then you went and installed another jump-scare heavy action-horror game. ;)

Maybe a genre/style switch?

You were just talking about mental strain and stress and then you went and installed another jump-scare heavy action-horror game. ;)
For some reason FEAR doesn't give me any tension and dread, since it's so action focused and you can overpower everything with the slow-motion ability.

But yeah, a genre switch or a pause from gaming might do me good.

I reached the Recreation deck in SS2 - which is probably my favorite level in the game.

It's the last level of the Von Braun - and I know the game isn't quite as strong after that, but I'll still enjoy it.

I'm playing a PSI character for the first time. I usually play this cooperatively - and I never play the mage in these games. But I wanted to try it out - and it's very fun.

Probably not much to say about the game that hasn't already been said.

It truly is a masterpiece and a fantastic balance of combat, exploration and progression.

To me, it's probably the finest survival horror game of all time - and it so wonderfully rewards scavenging, resource management, and smart investment in certain skills and abilities.

I think the most amazing thing about it is that it was made in such a short time. I think it was something like 1.5 years - and they even managed to include cooperative gameplay, even though it was never planned.

The fact that it has to be in my top-3 of cooperative games says it all, really.

I don't see myself ever not enjoying this whenever I decide to replay it.

For some reason FEAR doesn't give me any tension and dread, since it's so action focused and you can overpower everything with the slow-motion ability.
Having already played it before probably has more to do with that. You can increase the difficulty to compensate for the slowmo ability.

I found FEAR to be a pretty great experience back when I played it for the first time. Tons of tension and atmosphere. It didn't have the same effect when I replayed it years later since I already knew what to expect.

The fact that it has to be in my top-3 of cooperative games says it all, really.

I don't see myself ever not enjoying this whenever I decide to replay it.
Never played SS2 co-op. Does the game spawn more enemies in that mode? If not, it seems like some of the tension would be lost.

I've finished SS2 both as a Navy guy and a PSI character. I enjoyed the Navy route a little more, but that might just be because it was my first playthrough.

Never played SS2 co-op. Does the game spawn more enemies in that mode? If not, it seems like some of the tension would be lost.

I've finished SS2 both as a Navy guy and a PSI character. I enjoyed the Navy route a little more, but that might just be because it was my first playthrough.
Yeah, Navy/hacking is also my preferred playstyle.

IIRC, the multiplayer mode was patched in as sort of a last-minute thing. There are very minimal changes in terms of balance.

I believe all resources are automatically shared - and effectively doubled, though I could be remembering that wrong. Weapons are not doubled, though - so you have to agree on who takes what and so forth.

It's definitely not the same experience as playing solo. It's less about tension - and more about dividing responsibilities and contributing cooperatively according to your chosen role.

Ironically, even though the game is design for solo play - it's strangely ideal as a cooperative game because of how the classes and skills are designed.

It's the perfect game for complimenting each other in terms of the respective roles.

It depends on how many players are in the game, naturally, but it makes you feel great about contributing. One player is doing the hacking, repairing, modifying, etc. and another player is focusing on weaponry and combat. A third player can be doing psionic powers - which has a ton of utility and resource advantages.

This all results in a game where each player has a distinct identity that the other players rely on for support.

I've mostly duo'ed the game, though - which might be the most balanced way to play it - if you do in on Impossible. With more players, it's probably too easy.

I would always recommend going through SS2 once alone - to get the horror/tension experience - and then at least once co-op to get the shared experience.

I think it's the game I've replayed the most. Probably 7-8 times in total.

Back
Top Bottom