What games are you playing now?

For some reason, I've been rapidly losing interest in ESO housing ever since I've been sick with COVID.

Last night, I finally started to play WotR DLC#2, Through the Ashes and enjoying it a lot :) I think I might be about half way through the DLC.

I'm still playing KCD and the Weird West demo in parallel.

Weird West is fun, I like its sim nature and the atmosphere. You don't have to worry about wall of text here though, the story is quite minimal so far but that's OK. I'm starting to see repetitive locations and similar side quests. I noticed a few bugs in the keyboard mapping, with saved games that sometimes aren't saved and what is more annoying, objects / enemies that seem to be reset to their default position if I stray farther from them on a location (like the Alzheimer syndrome of the GTA games). Talking of that game, there is a faint feeling of similarity with the Dishonored games, except it's a top-down view. Shooting in the heat of the action is sometimes awkward with this view and K+M but it's OK after some practice.

I haven't decided to buy it yet.

Kingdom Come: Deliverance is great. Thankfully the animated scenes are not so frequent now so I can finally play normally... and it's one of the best RPGs I've played. It's like Skyrim would have been if Bethesda had decided to do it well, perhaps with a smaller scale since the map is half the area, but more beautiful. I've just had a very fun quest with a priest who had a very personal view of his job. ;)

After wrapping up Planet Stronghold two earlier this week, now I'm about three hours into Banner Maid. So far I'm enjoying it, quite the change from the previous game I played.

I hope the COVID is not too bad for you?
I'm mostly recovered now - just trying to get rid of lingering cough!
Whoever said COVID is like a simple cold/flu, I disagree :/ never want to catch it again

Whoever said COVID is like a simple cold/flu, I disagree :/ never want to catch it again
For some people, it is. Covid seems to produce a wide range of symptoms and results.

I'm glad you're feeling better, and sorry it was a rough ride for you!

It seems to vary a lot from person to person. I caught it back in July and if I hadn't had reason to think I had been exposed I would have chalked it up as a slightly weird cold.

I have a friend who has had it three times, though, and he said each one was worse than the one before, so I think never catching it again is a good plan.

It seems to vary a lot from person to person. I caught it back in July and if I hadn't had reason to think I had been exposed I would have chalked it up as a slightly weird cold.

I have a friend who has had it three times, though, and he said each one was worse than the one before, so I think never catching it again is a good plan.
Three times! Yikes. Is your friend unlucky, or do they put themselves in risky situations? (hanging out in large groups, etc)

I've just had a very fun quest with a priest who had a very personal view of his job. ;)
That game, indeed, contains some of the most memorable guests in any game I have played. Another good one is the monastery. Enjoy every bit of it (i.e. don't rush it) if you have not done it yet.

Since Stadia is soon taken down, I decided to at the least finish my play-through of RDR2 on it, so that I won't need to start all over on another platform. I see why this game is regarded as one of the best ever made. It really is one of the best 3rd person action games, even though it is not an RPG. It is like entering a good interactive western-film with the perhaps the best-crafted open-world I have seen in any game. My play-through has taken over two years because I tend to get lost hunting and fishing in the woods. This time I have decided to focus on the main story. It is fantastic. Rockstar surely know how to tell stories...

Still there is a lot to complain too. The controls feel clunky. My character is repeatedly shooting outsiders by accident or punching his horse just because I press a wrong button. Not to mention the fights I get to when accidentally poking into someone or all the ditches I have been to because the character just does not want to walk straight. Also the save system feels weird (no quick save) and I do not like that I cannot quit the game when I want without losing progress. Quests are missions with check points. They can be repeated after the quest has ended and are scored based on some arbitrary objectives. All standard GTA fair...Weapons are itemised for consoles and the inventory makes no sense. Neither does the health system where all food can be consumed instantly in the battle like health potions in RPGs. All those issues make me care less about building the character, which is good because I would never manage to finish this game otherwise.

Fire-fights tend to get out of hands with the amount of enemies magically spawning from different directions. Some of those scenes do not really fit the lore, but anyway, this is just a game. The best thing about the firefights is that there are no bullet sponges. A few hits kills any character at any level (I don't think NPCs have levels). A head shot seems to kill anyone instantly. That's how it should be in shooting games. CP2077 would have been better had not *everyone* in the game been a bullet sponge (unless they are lower level than you, that is).

Last edited:
Well, 10h later I'm back to Stormveil. I've explored quite a bit. Even reached the dragon area to the north-east. I'm pretty much playing it by ear. I gave the beastmaster dude both of my deathroots, even though I'm pretty sure I'll find out later on that I could've used them for something better.

But it was fascinating looking at the later-game areas I will be reaching. But also very daunting. I'm both sort of excited, but also I'm scared how much there is to explore. But I'll leave it till later on. Right now I'm back in Stormveil, to explore it further after the Margit fight.

I think I found the next weapon I plan to use. The Treespear I believe it's called, but it does ask me to invest quite a bit into Faith. Around 10 more levels. Which is a lot, since I'm leveling so slowly right now. I'll probably have to resort to some grinding at some point.

I do have one question for the people with more experience in Elden Ring. Should I be saving my whetstones (the ones used to improve weapon levels), or can I use them freely? I imagine there's a limited number of them. It was so in Bloodborne, with the very last levels having 1 or 2 of them only. I'm curious at which point will I know what my end game weapons will be. I'd hate to not be able to take those to the max level just because the lower-level stones are not to be found anymore.

I do have one question for the people with more experience in Elden Ring. Should I be saving my whetstones (the ones used to improve weapon levels), or can I use them freely? I imagine there's a limited number of them. It was so in Bloodborne, with the very last levels having 1 or 2 of them only. I'm curious at which point will I know what my end game weapons will be. I'd hate to not be able to take those to the max level just because the lower-level stones are not to be found anymore.
You'll eventually be able to buy some of them.

There are also, as it was with all Dark Souls games, enemies you can use to grind for them, if you're so inclined. I doubt it's possible to ever literally run out of them, though the amount of time/effort needed could eventually surpass your will to do what's necessary to obtain them.

I wouldn't save them. Choose a weapon or three that you like and go for it.

Even though Banner of the Maid uses three mechanics that I'm not a fan of (degrading weapons, opposition teleporting in from nowhere, and time limits on maps) for now I'm trying to stick it out simply because the actual combat is really good. I also thought this would be a rather quick game, yet now I'm thinking it might go on for a while.

I've started to explore Stormveil Castle in Elden Ring, and I'm not sure why but I'm constantly dying. I thought the exploration I did outside would surely put me at a significant advantage. It's true that I do tend to just spam my main attack since it's very fast, but some of the enemies inside the castle just won't take it, like the stuff outside has.

I fucking hate the eagles with the metal talons strapped to their legs. And then they go and also make them fire-breathing. Died to those a couple of times. Then I constantly die to the knights that have halberds. It's very stressful to explore the castle, but that also makes it very rewarding when you get through it. But just constantly going back to retrieve your runes, after having to climb on the edges of the various walls is getting annoying, in that I always seem to need a break after some time spent playing.

But aside from that, again, fantastic level design for the castle. I love that it makes you be aware of any possible hidden path or route outside of the main one.

The knights in Stormveil were a pain for me as well. Don't be afraid to kite a bit. Throwing knives are good for that.
It's unbelievable how fights with those knights can go from hero to zero, on a dime. Some fights I somehow manage to block and stun-lock them with my Estoc. Other fights they manage that whirl-ability and just pounce on me and pound me into the ground. Sometimes I use too many of my health potions on one knight, and can't progress further. Another time I managed to fight 2 knights without using having any potions at all. It's all a toss-up. But it's intense as hell.

And I double my curses at those taloned falcons. Whoever designed those is just evil.

EDIT: Also, why the f am I recovering less runes than I'm sure I had when I died? Is there some sort of mechanic for that?

EDIT2: hm, seems the "gatekeeper" is stealing them? Is it the dude from the entrance of Stormveil? Weird mechanic. He stole like 30% of them.

Ive been playing AC Odyssey, about 50h in it, decided to go just for the main and side quests, no other activities and it is very interesting. Im really in awe how big and detailed the world it is, ouside settlements is mostly copy paste but the cities are just wow, its a real pleasure to just walk and admire the design. About the voice acting, im no greek so dont know if the accent feels authentic but they nailed this one as well, the actors do their job very well. As for the story, it is so-so, no idea if i reached half but just found mom and so far has been average. They tried to mask a good portion of the main missions under that weaken/liberate regions crap.

Back
Top Bottom