What games are you playing now?

Earlier today I had a tough fight with some mushroom dudes in Grimrock two. There were like six or so stationary targets which you had to take down while they're constantly spawning adds. Needless to say this took me a few goings to get it done with my team somewhat intact. I can see why these types of battles aren't for everyone, they certainly aren't to my liking yet I'm trudging onwards for the story and exploration features!

To my big surprise, my ranged party in Wizardry 8 wasn't ready to take on the Rapax yet. I got thoroughly wiped by some Rapax warlocks in the rift, nowhere near the Rapax castle, with no real chance of getting even close to winning the battle. Before that, I had a fight with four Rapax samurai which wasn't too hard, but annoying, as they put up a missile shield (d'oh). It took me quite some time to finish them.

So I decided to grind a bit for experience, fetch the Destinae Dominus and maybe have a shot at Nessie. Unfortunately I'm running low on good ammo for my rangers, as they use an immense amount of arrows (they are three in the party). Maybe I switch another ranger to crossbow, that kind of ammo seems to be much more common, probably because there are tripleshot-crossbows in the game.

Goblin Stone!!

My first party wipeout! Yeeehhaa!

Fun parts of the game:
1. No grind. Hacking money+all resources (wood, stones, leather, etc...) was fun, since the game handles these in stacks of 20! So I didn't have to grind for just to survive. NEGATIVE reviewers on Steam complained about the game being boring because so many similar GRINDING fights.. I completely bypassed that swamp-of-boredom hehe..

I maxed out my base early, my guilds got the max LVL 3 enhancements, which empowered my mighty Goblins, so always selected the best fighters and brought them into battle!

2. Hacked Soul Stones as well - these you receive when losing a Goblin or you retire / kick them out of HQ -, which soul stones are needed to maximize level of all Guilds and so, with everything hacked, I pushed all rooms to MAX. This resulted in strongest empowered Goblins for me in the dungeons! The only thing I didn't hack was Goblins Main Stats!

3. Life & battles were all fun - map shows where the hardest monster parties are and I always chose those paths.. - and all was good until past mid-game, me usually massacring the enemy and I rarely lost 1 Goblin adventurer per raid: mage or priest or fighter type.. All this played out IN NATURE, when there I always found plenty of FOOD! Eating these Goblins regain HP!
4. Bosses were also somewhat fun to kill this way.

5. However, when I reached the SEWERS toward endgame, I encountered the WYVERNS! They loved to chew my mighty Goblins to bits! Also in the sickening Sewers there is almost NO FOOD! Or very serious food-scarcity!! So I couldn't heal my goblins much. Previously I also hacked FOOD and GOLD until midgame, so my Goblins were always stuffed and adventured close to max health.

But I found such empowerment boring, so I stopped hacking food and ATE only what I found. This was all good on the dungeons in Mother Nature. But not anymore in the sewers! No food = no healing. And Deadly Sewer MonsterZ! AAAAAAAAHHHAHAHAHAA!

I always wanted my stupid maxed out goblin heroes to die dramatically.
And finally, in the Sewers, starving, thus low on HP after gory battles, I adventured further with just one Fatally INJURED GOBLIN REMAINING (out of a party of six) AND HE HAD ONLY 1 HIT POINT LEFT!!.... OMG The DRAMA!!

6. Although I maxed out my Goblins via BREEDING, so I had the main stat of 10 maxed out in any mage or priest or fighter class, and because I hacked gold as well, I was able to always buy the strongest weapons.. but still..

The SEWERS monsters finally managed to tear my mighty Goblin party to bits & pieces. My wiped out party consisted of (the allowed max of) three Mystics = mages, Two Shamans = mage-priests and one Acolyte = high attack priest class. So all magic users.. :D

I completely neglected to bring any fighter type, like Guard, Raider, Hunter or Bandit, because I noticed that mages and priests had amazing AOE attacks. Although fighter types could also make critical hits.. But the magic user AOE finally won. So this is probably why my magic-focused party was wiped out! :D

Anyway, since I maxed out my XCOM-base like abode - Zero grind necessary and I stopped building my HQ, since no more enhancements can be built -, I can now concentrate on ALL OUT WARFARE + CONQUEST and breed unlimited number of maxed out main-stat Goblins.

Also I might have lost all the Top Quality gear with that party wipe?

But I was able to buy out all the new inventory of the merchant camping at my headquarters, I still have lots of weapons left!

I now just have to assemble a new SUICIDE GOBLIN KAMIKAZE SQUAD and storm the SEWERS again! AAAAAAAHHHAHAHAHAHHAAAAAAAAA! I also love the scream of my mighty Goblins when they die! What an Awesome DRAMA!

Tremble, mighty Sewer-WYVERNS, for here I come!!! again. :D

The Big Showdown

So I assembled a new goblin horde and went back and fought the amazing Sewers dungeon Boss!! I had to save two times between turns - just to be sure I don't waste time. Naturally the game works in IronMan mode, but copy&pasting the save files completely circumvents this restriction, so I made myself able to reload from any time of the game, in order to save time. Only one of my top-quality goblins was massacred. Since I can easily replace him with another strong goblin, I left the results as is. His weapons we carried back to HQ and I filled the place of the died hero with an exceptionally skilled newbie. :D

This Sewers Boss fight was the best FUN so far!

Last edited:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0fDo0DTvL0

This is something I'll want to try. Great praise from WAB. He's saying it's as good as Settlers 3.
But it'll be a while. Seems it's only going into early access some time this week.
Impressive, especially if it's truly done by one dude.

Not related to the show, but I just started a replay of Fallout: New Vegas ... first since initial release. Looks and plays great on Steam Deck ... I was mucking about with some of the Gold Box games which are playable on Deck but I prefer normal PC for those so set them aside.

Not related to the show, but I just started a replay of Fallout: New Vegas ... first since initial release. Looks and plays great on Steam Deck ... I was mucking about with some of the Gold Box games which are playable on Deck but I prefer normal PC for those so set them aside.
Can you use mods on Steam Deck?

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0fDo0DTvL0

This is something I'll want to try. Great praise from WAB. He's saying it's as good as Settlers 3.
But it'll be a while. Seems it's only going into early access some time this week.
Impressive, especially if it's truly done by one dude.
Settlers 2 is one of my most favourite games (of that particular genre) of all time. I've been looking for a modern version of it for so long, but nothing has ever really surpassed it (in my opinion). I'll keep an eye on 'Manor Lords', thanks for posting.

51 hours into Horizon Forbidden West now, and still feeling like I've barely scratched the surface. I just finished the first cauldron, so I can finally override some of the machines. I've spent a lot of that time just randomly exploring though rather than following the main questline.

Other than the dialogue, this game is pure gold.
I keep bouncing off Horizon - I've got the Zero Dawn complete set I bought on sale. It kind of handles a bit like Assassin's Creed with its parkour vibes (which I also continually bounce off). I wish I could get into it, because the reviews have been so favourable for the game.

I'm making progress in Grimrock two, and honestly I don't remember much of the game from when I first played it some ten years ago. Today I found myself popping out of a dungeon onto another beach area, similar to where our adventure began and those wicked turtles that gave me fits on day one go down pretty easily, now. Then I ran into some woody-ogre looking brute that had me scrambling for cover and trying to do some range damage, as he was wacking my two fighters rather painfully.

I keep bouncing off Horizon - I've got the Zero Dawn complete set I bought on sale. It kind of handles a bit like Assassin's Creed with its parkour vibes (which I also continually bounce off). I wish I could get into it, because the reviews have been so favourable for the game.
Yeah, action-RPGs don't seem like your thing. I saw that you said pretty much the same about Dragon's Dogma 1 & 2.

I think the Horizon games are great, but I can totally understand how they wouldn't appeal to some people.

Can you use mods on Steam Deck?
Absolutely - it is essentially a Linux PC built into a small screen with enmbedded controller. I tend to play everything vanilla but I know tons of people who load up on mods.

Yeah, action-RPGs don't seem like your thing. I saw that you said pretty much the same about Dragon's Dogma 1 & 2.

I think the Horizon games are great, but I can totally understand how they wouldn't appeal to some people.
Yeah totally - I keep wanting to like them badly (action RPGs), especially when the reviews for the game are quite high. It's hard when the games that I do like have a dry spell, in regards to the release roll out. I'll just have to keep reminding myself to stay in my lane lol.

Started BG3 with a brand new main (I'd spent 20ish hours making 6 others before starting!) ... and I think it's trans by mistake! I thought I was making a male dragonborn cleric of Bahamut, but after looking at inventory I noticed he's wearing silky undies. The body type must have been female, but because he's dragonborn I couldn't tell (I didn't bother to look at the genitals). Aaanyway, I hope that doesn't mess up any potential romances. Found the baby intellect devourer and because it's an evil monster I smushed it in my claws, I would have preffered to eat it but that wasn't an option. Party wipe in the last room (balanced difficulty), main and SH were running around flailing and failing with the minions while L helped the MF with the Demon before the inevitable end. Looked at a beginners guide afterwards and discovered cantrips can be used every turn - I thought they were one time only like other spells. Time for a second attempt.

In Grimrock two I've run into some elemental baddies that are giving me fits, the first was an air elemental and that was followed by fire. Finally my mage is pulling his weight, as his shielding lets my fighters stay in and deal some death. We're currently in some humongous sewer area, exploring step by step and dealing with rats and other vermin.

I took a break from Horizon Forbidden West to play Monomyth the last few days. It's still in Beta, but I think I'm really going to enjoy the finished game. It has the kind of addictive exploration + puzzles that I like. If he can improve the combat, I feel like it's easily GotY among indies.

I took a break from Horizon Forbidden West to play Monomyth the last few days. It's still in Beta, but I think I'm really going to enjoy the finished game. It has the kind of addictive exploration + puzzles that I like. If he can improve the combat, I feel like it's easily GotY among indies.
The last few days? You make it sound like it's rather big for an indie beta.

Does the combat seem optional, or is it a main component of the game?

The last few days? You make it sound like it's rather big for an indie beta.
I put 7 hours into just the first area and still had things to do/find. It's fairly content-dense.

Does the combat seem optional, or is it a main component of the game?
It's not optional, but you're not constantly fighting. You spend more time exploring and trying to figure out how to reach certain areas.

Hmmm. After those high profile releases it is time to scale back a bit, soooo finally I've committed myself to ...
ADOM (GoG edition)

Boy, what a blast! Seriously, I have more fun with this than with the recent FF remake.
I've always loved the rogue concept, but torn between the "not retro enough" and "this is way too retro". Mind you, it is not just the graphics. In my book a good "retro" game lacks today's excessive production fat: it should be simple, straightforward (gotta love the clear design of those old classics) . BUT. We are not in '78, playing on 1200 baud terminals anymore, so the game should have some useful QoL. Also, we are not acne-faced geeks anymore with all the time in the world for our hobby. My game session needs to be snappy, focused and zero BS (the modern BS in games is the endless barrage of 5min long bombastic cutscenes of questionable quality)

ADOM GoG edition seems to strike a nice balance: if I need a simple session, I can create a custom game. If I need my ass whooped, I can revert to classic mode. Also, the graphics is actually nice, unlike, say, ToME (another excellent rogue, but can't really find a proper tileset to really enjoy). Cherry on top: I can play with mouse or go full hardcore on a keyboard.

Congrats to everyone involved in this project (both the original and the "modernized" GoG edition), you guys created something truly memorable!

Last edited:
Yesterday in Grimrock two I ran into some nasty Rat lord with about six followers that gave me pause, then I sorted them out. While I was battling the head honcho I noticed he was using some huge firearm and I prayed it would drop after the battle, which it did, and I gave it immediately to my alchemist. Ammo seems scarce for this cannon so I'll have to be frugal with it. Then we ran into some rough spikes trap/puzzle which kept me busy for some time, in the end a new door opened and that's where business will pick up later today.

Back
Top Bottom