What is your job?

I currently work as a Telemarketing Outbound Agent. Simply said; I sell you people crap you don't need :). Hate me or love me, but I make my money.

You don't sell me anything!! I'm one of the people who instantly hang up!! :)

Well that's not completely true. You will find it amazing how many people buy stuff. In a 6-hour workday I usually can get up to 20 people to say yes. Last saturday I had a total of 29 :). Our "target" is 3.6 per hour.

From what I learned people react most by your attitude. That's why I made a little... percentage circle.

60% Attitude
30% Voice
10% Product

Since we seem to be on a telemarketer tangent ...

My biggest issue is when there is 'no one home' - I pick up the phone and say hello and nobody answers for several seconds. It is worse when I'm at work, answer with my name ... and a few seconds later I hear 'Can I speak to ...' ... there goes *any* chance of engaging me ...

Local stuff - surveys, charity, etc - where it is an actual *person* doing the call and immediately there to talk, is much more likely to get a positive response from me.

That 'no one home' has a special reason. We work -- at least at our company -- with 2 different kind of call-systems.

One of them is called Tapi. Your computer has his own database and calls people randomly; you hear the phone going over and you engage in a coversation immediatly when someone picks up.

Another one is called Dialer. Dialer is controlled by one large system, who calls people. Once someone picks up the phone, the Dialer moves that person to any available computers, which means that we get the phonecall when somebody already answered. This means we don't hear the first 3 seconds of the call, thus there is a small gap between the "hello" and our response. This makes people hang up quite often, and thats why I kind of hate Dialer. I prefer Tapi.

I work as a 3d game engine programmer. As someone mentioned it's not always so glamorous and there can indeed be long hours and some stress.. and the pay would be better in other areas of software development. But I couldn't imagine doing anything else for the moment :) All in all I consider myself lucky for getting to work with the stuff that really interests me and I never wake up and feel like I don't want to go to work.

I work as a 3d game engine programmer. As someone mentioned it's not always so glamorous and there can indeed be long hours and some stress.. and the pay would be better in other areas of software development. But I couldn't imagine doing anything else for the moment :) All in all I consider myself lucky for getting to work with the stuff that really interests me and I never wake up and feel like I don't want to go to work.

That means you've got the right job. :) When you hate to go to work every day, you need to quit and do something else.

So what games do you get to work on? Or do you just work on the engines, then other people license them?

It is easy, it's called retirement!! :biggrin:

Well, unfortunately I haven't been able to work on any RPGs (yet) :( On the other hand - working on a game tends to really spoil the experience of playing it when it's finally done, so maybe I should resist the urge to work on one and just play and enjoy those others do for me :)

I work at Deadline Games who has released a number of "niche" adventure games during the 90s and are now doing 3rd person AAA action games for PC and the consoles. I'm not really involved in game design or in implementing the game play code, but are doing a lot of cool stuff in our tech department :) I started out doing graphics stuff (shaders etc) but have now switched over to implementing stuff for the "core" of our next-gen game engine. This includes the maintenance and development of our own scripting language, creating a visual debugger for the script language, collision/physics etc. In the long run I find this to be more challenging and interesting than doing fancy graphical effects all the time.

I bet you're one of those people that can do algebraic equations in their head. :)

I imagine writing or physically building up a game could take a lot of the surprises out of playing it as you say. Fortunately, you can probably understand, mod and correct a lot of the half-finished games that a lot of us mathematically challenged folks grind our teeth over. You are lucky to find all that fun hidden inside all the hard work ;)

@Korplem
Really, seriously, you can always quit and do something else. Sometimes it's complicated to find it or get there, and it's always scary--but trust me, its worth it.
Just start thinking of what you really really would like to be doing, then try to find a way to get there. Good luck!

I thought everybody could do algebraic equations in their head; what could be simpler??!! :)

Yes, and I thought everybody could grow plants ; )

Of the two skills, Corwin, I'm sure the algebraic ones are more useful.( Unless, of course, you are stranded on a desert island and need to grub up some roots and berries...)

It was very useful to me, I spent several years teaching High School Maths!! :)

Actually, I can't quit for another 2 years, 8 months, and 28 days.

I sold my soul to the lowest bidder!

Ahh...I see. That would definitely complicate things.

At least you have plenty of time to formulate a plan for next time. I am a living example of the fact that we can learn from our mistakes--unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be a limit on the number of diffrent mistakes one can make...;)

Back
Top Bottom