What I've Been Watching: The Catch-All Film Thread

Challengers. Pretty good. The subject of the movie would normally be pretty melodramatic and boring usually, but it was done pretty entertainingly.
The music on the other hand was really distracting and just didn't fit. Almost every time it kicked in it felt almost intentionally bad.

MV5BNTk1MTdmYzctNzlkOS00ZTNmLWI4ZTMtMzc3OWFkMDI0MTJkXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTkxNjUyNQ@@._V1_.jpg

Personally speaking, I haven't been too keen to see Furiosa despite believing Fury Road to be one of the best action movies of the past 40 years. A waif actress taking over for a role that was only ever memorable because of Charlize Theron's portrayal + Chris Hemsworth playing a character who sounds like an auctioneer (with a Teddy Bear attached to his wardrobe) doesn't exactly inspire excitement.

Personally speaking, I haven't been too keen to see Furiosa despite believing Fury Road to be one of the best action movies of the past 40 years. A waif actress taking over for a role that was only ever memorable because of Charlize Theron's portrayal + Chris Hemsworth playing a character who sounds like an auctioneer (with a Teddy Bear attached to his wardrobe) doesn't exactly inspire excitement.
I had some reservations upon hearing of Anya, but I've relaxed on that and I think that it could work if done right. I think she has enough of a non-traditional face/eyes that it could even maybe work to its benefit.
On Hemsworth, I heard a lot of the reviewers mentioning him as a fun character to see on screen. They say he has some elements of Immortan Joe, but also takes it differently.
Anyway, I'll certainly be watching it. And I hear that Miller is already working on potential third movie, but whether that gets greenlit we shall see. I hope he does. It would be cool to have such a long series that one lone director has worked on for such a long timespan.

I also saw Civil War. It was technically solid, but it had such an impressively small scope that I was surprised.
Otherwise very average. I did not get much out of it. Maybe if I were american.
It also had a few really cliched story beats, that I was surprised they did that. Especially right at the end, with the sacrifice of one character.
Probably towards the bottom of the list in terms of Alex Garland films. Along with Devs.
Although of different topic, it's got nothing on a war movie, like say Full Metal Jacket.

Also probably not really comparable, but in terms of post-apocalyptic road-trip movies, the Road is way way better, in all regards.

Last edited:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TD1qwkCOqRo

Redlettermedia also loved Furiosa. And they're saying both Anya and Hemsworth did a great job.
Only saw around 1/3 of the review since they start getting into very light spoilers and I want to in clean.
Anyway, I can't wait to see it.

Last edited:
We saw Furiosa tonight. I loved it despite not being able to hear 90% of the dialogue. Either music or explosions made half of it impossible to hear, and the accent did it for nearly the rest. Dialogue wasn't necessary to follow along and enjoy. It would've definitely been more enjoyable for me with subtitles.

Almost every time it kicked in it felt almost intentionally bad.
That was Nine Inch Nails, a big draw and selling point for the movie. This is another example of music playing over and making dialogue impossible to hear. I missed 90% of what was said in the sauna scene, a really important scene.

I loved it despite not being able to hear 90% of the dialogue.
My wife and I are finding this more and more. So much going on, noise or music-wise, that it drowns out the dialogue. I put it down, in part, to getting older, but then my daughter has good hearing and often watches stuff with subtitles for this very reason.

My wife and I are finding this more and more. So much going on, noise or music-wise, that it drowns out the dialogue. I put it down, in part, to getting older, but then my daughter has good hearing and often watches stuff with subtitles for this very reason.
Yes! We watch everything with subtitles at this point, I have no clue why this 'buried dialogue' trend is so pervasive.

Also darkness - we watched Pearl last weekend on a rainy day and still have no clue what the root cellar looked like!

MV5BMTMzNDA0MjA4M15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMzI2NzAzMQ@@._V1_.jpg

Come and See

Solid film, and it has some particularly powerful moments.
The very final scene and ending though, lost a bit of the artistic and went a little bit into too explicit messaging. I think it could've done without the final few minutes. The whole rewind thing is what I mean.

Back
Top Bottom