Wheel of Time.

I read several of Jordan's books but each one had less and less writing that advanced the plot. He was the king of "milking" a series. It amused me when he died before finishing his opus :)

Nynaeve pulls her braid and chews on the end X 1000

Wow. I would suggest surrounding yourself with some better people

Tongue in cheek bro
And don't get me started on Martin

I gave up in book 4 or 5 or 6 so something. I gave up after one book where they were talking about doing something big in the prolog and then started off to do it in the epilog and the whole rest of the book might as well as not have existed. The rate of progress of the plot reduced as the square of the book # as far as I could tell (so book #4 had 1/16th as much plot progress as book #1). Read the first 3 and pretend the rest don't exist and you will be happier than trying to slog through the rest.

I think Jordan is a misunderstood author, each book advance a lot, the problem is just a lot of people can't see it.

IMHO he is a complete genious and by far the best fantasy writer that have ever lived!

I read several of Jordan's books but each one had less and less writing that advanced the plot. He was the king of "milking" a series. It amused me when he died before finishing his opus

I'm sad to hear this, how someone can be amused about something like that... that's just sick.

I gave up in book 4 or 5 or 6 so something. I gave up after one book where they were talking about doing something big in the prolog and then started off to do it in the epilog and the whole rest of the book might as well as not have existed. The rate of progress of the plot reduced as the square of the book # as far as I could tell (so book #4 had 1/16th as much plot progress as book #1). Read the first 3 and pretend the rest don't exist and you will be happier than trying to slog through the rest.

I feel the same way. After the 4th book there are to many charcter branches that the series starts loseing it touch. I want to find out what happens to rand as it started out as his story.

Martains books suffer from the same flaw. To many charcters and no central plot. The plot crawls while I have to read plots about characters I have no intrest in.

Last edited:
The Wheel of Time books have quite a bit happening! Thing is, they are happening in parallel. If you aren't reading quite a bit every day, it's hard to remember what was going on when he switches from one plot to another. The first three books don't do this too much but, starting with the 4th book, threads split and do not unite back for a long time. By Path of Daggers there are seven threads going on with quick nods to three others!

Sometimes I wonder what could happen with these books using an e-reader of some kind. Something where you could shuffle the text around and read it more linearly. When Rand goes off one way and Nynaeve goes off another in book three, you could have the option of reading those individual stories for as long as you want, switching back to the other story whenever you want. It could toss in warnings telling you that there's going to be an interaction with another story thread and you could decide yourself if you want to catch up on that story thread first or if you want to use the interaction as foreshadowing. You could even skip entire threads if you wanted.

As is, though, I just hit Encyclopedia WoT when I can't remember who Bornhald was or what Fain has been up to recently.

Cleaned up the first post and added all the links.

I came to WoT very late, with the last 5 years, and I've read everything WoT one after another since then, so my opinion is different than the older fans who have been following the story for like...decades. I understand the frustration, because certain books, like Winter's Heart, didn't move the overall plot foward enough to feel satisfied waiting for the next book.

Since I had the luxury to read them all at my own pace, it just felt like he had a huge story to tell, not that he was milking the series. The pace did slow after the first 3, but each book advanced story and/or developed the characters in a way that I think was worthwhile. He had lots of important characters, not just a few like most books, so there we lots of characters develop and arc.

That said, the amount of detail was painful at times. If he dropped the unnecessary description of clothing, braid tugging, etc, the books would be a lot shorter. :)

I'm in book 4, but daaaamn! Why are ALL the main characters acting like highschool teenagers?
That was one of the factors for which I quit reading the series.

I started reading it in primary school. Then, in high school, I had 1) all the time in the world and 2) maturity on the level of the characters, so it was perfect.

But I had to wait for more volumes until I started, and than finished, my studies. With the usual "adult" stuff like full-time job and relationship I just don't have the time for a 1000+ page novel about tugging braids. (Frankly, I WISH I had, I wish I could just WASTE many hours on pure low-brow entertainment, I guess this could be really cathartic for the brain… heh, so it wouldn't really be a waste!)

I envy today's kids who will start the series knowing it has an end, and so they may read it whole during one period of adolescence :)

I never remember seeing this game. Watched a video of it on youtube just now. Reminds me a bit of Heretic and Hexen. I'm buying it now on amazon - looks kinda fun.

I never remember seeing this game. Watched a video of it on youtube just now. Reminds me a bit of Heretic and Hexen. I'm buying it now on amazon - looks kinda fun.

I remember reading about the game. It got poor reviews and a lukewarm reception and was forgotten .

Added a link to the v333 patch and a mod I made called Wheel of Time Backpack.

You need all the Ter Angreal you find even on Easy, this mod allows you to pick up all the Ter Angreal you find. It normally has a system where if you pick up a pile of 70 Ter Angreal Darts, but only have room for 20, you lose the other 50.

I did have problems with Win 7 and getting the cutscenes to play. The sound was working while the video was moving, Still Frame every 5 seconds or so. Unable to resolve it atm.

I was able to get a modified OpenGl driver to work and it looked amazing, Colors and Contrast are much better. Atm getting some Tearing and can't get the Rain/Drops to show.

I remember reading about the game. It got poor reviews and a lukewarm reception and was forgotten .
Shame, really. It certainly wasn't short on good atmosphere, particularly if you've read the books. The soundtrack is right up there among my favorites with Divinity, Diablo (Tristram theme) and maybe some others.

As for the books, the first was the only one I wasn't too fond of. Other than that, I was utterly captivated. I read the series in three chunks. All books in succession up to ~2001, later the rest of the books up to Joran's untimely demise, and finally B. Sanderson's finale (still waiting for the final final book though). And I'm still captivated by the characters, the world, the magic, and the story.

But yeah, if you don't have the time for reading more than a couple pages each day, I can imagine it to get tedious and confusing. Personally, I did enjoy the attention to detail a lot.

Sounds like a good one for GOG!

Hehe, lol at all the braid tugging. :)

That's strange, because GameRankings has it on 80% average based on 23 reviews. Doesn't sound like poor reviews.

Wow based on 23 reviews with an average of 80. I wouldnt call that good. Say what you want the game is forgotten hardly anyone remembers it. Well except for the minority who liked it.:p

Just like all the old games from 10 years or more funny isn't.:biggrin:

I gave this game a shot a long time ago and wasn't to impressed back then. Need to find it to give it another go. I also need to start book 12, but I'm wondering if I should start the series all over since it's over 15 years since I've read book 1…

Edit: typo.

Reading the Wheel of Time is a bitter experience. The series at its core is a generic sword-and-sorcery fantasy epic, complete with an Ultimate Evil about to destroy the world for the sake of being evil, but the way Robert Jordan writes his characters is more than a little disturbing and distracting.

For one thing, there is the omnipresent and completely implausible theme of female dominance which is shoved constantly down the reader's throat for no apparent reason and leads me to suspect that author really wanted to share his BDSM fetishes with the world. Virtually every culture we are acquainted with has this yo a lesser or greater degree. Women are almost universally dismissive and biased against men, and the men, with exceptionally rare occasions, obediently allow themselves to be harassed all the while mumbling impotently about how they can't understand women. We have multiple occasions of female-on-male rape, endless insults and generally poor attitude, men being "married off" to women regardless of their wishes, and some really freaky stuff, like in some places in this world it is apparently legal for a woman to kill her husband is he displeases her. The main problem I have with this theme is that it is completely contrary to my knowledge of the real world, and isn't justified in the slightest within the novels. The flimsy excuse the author used is that ever since the Breaking of the World, male channelers were doomed to go violently insane and had to be put down/gentled to avoid bloodshed. Alright. How exactly do we make the step from "being wary of male channelers" to "putting the entire male gender under the women's heel in every country and organization in the world"? Seems to me like a glaring plothole. Men are displayed unfavorably even in the total absence of women, the only two male-only organizations here are heavily militarized, run with an iron fist, arrogant and unpopular to the extreme, basically composed of arrogant sons of bitches who do more harm than good in the long run (I mean the Ashaman, and Children of the Light)

Aside from female-on-male bondage weirdness, the characters seem unable to show any genuine feelings of sympathy, compassion, or trust to each other, except when the plot suddenly needs them to, in which case they recklessly throw themselves into danger to rescue someone they didn't feel like even talking to for a year. The plot is primarily driven by Deus Ex Machinas coming in all shapes of forms, from an
ancient artifact" that suddenly does something that happens to resolve a problem, or even a person suddenly walking out of the background and killing off the bad guy. The entire system of "channeling" here is a big Deus Ex Machina which allows the characters to display any magic ability the plot needs them to display. And the personal woes the main characters are going through feel completely contrived and artificial. The only real plotline that interested me here were Aes Sedai politics in a divided White Tower, and that one took no less than eight books to end to any satisfactory conclusion. Perrin and his crusade against… something… were completely arbitrary and irrelevant (not to mention Faile who exists solely to get captured by evil and give Perrin something to fret about), Mat's antics grew more and more tiresome with every chapter, and Rand going through unwarranted depression and making one idiotic decision after another wasn't exactly riveting either. And, of course, I will never forget that one chapter in the Crossroads of Twilight where Elaine does nothing but take a bubble bath and think about stuff we've already read before.

All in all, reading the Wheel of Time gave me the feeling that the author had a lot of interesting background information on the world he created, but didn't really feel like using most of it, and instead went for soap opera dramas and lifeless romance. And gratuitous descriptions of clothes, random towns/villages we will never see again, twitchings of the brows, and full bosoms. It doesn't help that the thirteen principal bad guys spend most of their time sipping wine and building networks of deception upon lies upon intrigues, only to get disposed of in an instant like goons.

The game was pretty good though.

Last edited:
I loved book 1 but about half way through book 4 I tore it in half and tossed the lot in the barrel. It seems to me that Jordan dying before the series was complete was going to happen even if he lived to a ripe old age.

If anyone manages to get the game running with videos under Windows 7 please leave some infos.

Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom