Which Elder Scrolls game was your favorite

Which Elder Scrolls game was your favorite?

• Arena

Votes: 4 7.3%
  • Daggerfall

• Morrowind

Votes: 32 58.2%
  • Oblivion

• Skyrim

Votes: 11 20.0%

• Total voters

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
Which of the Elder Scrolls games (excluding ESO) was, or is, your favorite?
Tell us why in the comments.

Thanks Luethar for sending it.

Morrowind still takes the cake for me.
Deep. Story. Handcrafted. Exploration.

I liked Oblivion except the levelling bullshit and portal game.

Skyrim just wasn't as deep as Morrowind. Don't care about bugs was just not as deep or handcrafted as Morrowind.

Morrowind > Skyrim > Oblivion > the rest.
Arena and Daggerfall don't even come close.

Last edited:
Daggerfall > Skyrim > Morrowind > Oblivion > Arena

in my case.

I like these as well:
1997 – The Elder Scrolls Legends: Battlespire
1998 – The Elder Scrolls Adventures: Redguard

Morrowind. I can still play it. It's clunky, but its world has never been matched, not only among Elder Scrolls games, but in CRPGs.

Then Skyrim, then Oblivion. I didn't like Oblivion very much. Ugly, bland, terrible voice acting. That's also the order of the quality of the modding scenes, though there's a big gap between #1 and #2.

I played Arena a million years ago. Terrifically boring. The "16 million square mile" cut and paste stuff BGS started with was rough, but with Morrowind they made the game smaller (but not small) and about a million times more interesting.

Morrowind. Still play it regularly. I you haven't been following the latest ongoing developments in the modding scene using lua extensions to MWSE, check them out. The current state of the game is not at all what one would expect from a 19 year old game.

Morrowind. Still play it regularly. I you haven't been following the latest ongoing developments in the modding scene using lua extensions to MWSE, check them out. The current state of the game is not at all what one would expect from a 19 year old game.

I haven't played it in so long. The graphics are the reason and Morrowind has always been tougher to get looking good AND running good at the same time. I just don't have the patience to dick with it. I tweak all the Bethesda games some but Morrowind and Fallout New Vegas are a pain.

Oh! I picked Skyrim. Duh :D

Last edited:
Daggerfall, Arena, Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim is the preferred order for me.

Why? I felt the exploration was the strongest in the way I listed them, although mileage may vary for others. I've such great memories of those early games to this very day, and I doubt those will ever be surpassed.

Sorry but it would have to be Skyrim as the rest are outdated.:p

The dungeons of Daggerfall are the best, most convoluted dungeons of any game EVER!! :) You could literally get lost in them unless you used 'mark' and 'recall'!! Arena had passwall, best dungeon spell EVER!! :)

Morrowind>Skyrim>Oblivion>Daggerfall>Arena
M has the most interesting world and character options, the rest in order of graphical appeal.

Morrowind>Skyrim>Oblivion

For the same reasons as everyone else has said.

an incarnation of pibbur who realizes that this time most watchers agree with him (or he agrees with most watchers).

PS. I have replayed it partly. I don't use any graphics enhancementws, I like the landscape as it is. Only exceptions are mods that improve the faces. DS.

Last edited:
I'm torn between Morrowind and Skyrim. I haven't played Daggerfall or Arena.

Morrowind was great by leaving the players look for themselves, was vast for the time, gave a lot of freedom, and had those strange-looking buildings (colours were a bit dull though), lore was omnipresent. It was unlike anything else, so I voted for this one.

Oblivion was modern, it had voice-acting for the main plot, cool graphics and physics, but the portals were very repetitive. Perhaps it's me but the story and lore haven't left a lasting impression.

Skyrim was a nice conclusion of the series, packed with side quests, a large and varied environment. The colours were a bit dull too, but it had dragons. It would get a 2nd place for me, but if I had to replay one today, that would probably be Skyrim.

Hmm, now this is a tough one.
I think TES games are very hard to evaluate which one is the better, because each of these has at least one feat it excels, and many others it sucks at. As such:

The Best TES games:
1. Morrowind: best world building and overall sandbox freedom
1. Skyrim: most accessible and overall production values
1. Oblivion: best side quests
1. Daggerfall: most ambitious and overall pioneer charm
1. Redguard: best puzzles, story and overall boldness to break the mold

The Worst TES games:
-1: Morrowind: bad physical combat, bugs
-1: Skyrim: totally bland world building, bugs
-1: Oblivion: botched rpg mechanism, bugs
-1: Daggerfall: very repetitive, bugs
-1: Redguard: clunky controls, bugs

Arena and Battlespire are omitted, because Arena was uninteresting to me at the time (obsessed Ultima fanboy here), and Battlespire was so buggy it never ran on my PC more than 10 minutes. Also, TES:O obviously not on the list, as I still believe humanity is not yet prepared for playing MMOs proper.

So what's the verdict? I love'em all, bugs and quirks aside.
Overall, I have ALL these games installed in some ways, and play them occasionally as my mood dictates.

I have played Morrowind a little, and thought it had the best fantasy and world setting and "atmosphere", but just couldn't get over how archaic the graphics were. I think it would be fantastic if it were remade and given shiny new graphics, and also kept all the complexity in the stats and skills and so on - with none of the dumbing down we saw in the other games after it.

The only other one I played, and by far played the most, was Oblivion. I was playing the hell out of that game for awhile, I remember, it was an obsession.

I thought it was awesome.

Eventually, I did get tired of it, and the dungeons got too samey and the world overall seemed to be much too repetitive and got boring too, but for a time I really enjoyed playing it.

I have played Morrowind a little, and thought it had the best fantasy and world setting and "atmosphere", but just couldn't get over how archaic the graphics were. I think it would be fantastic if it were remade and given shiny new graphics, and also kept all the complexity in the stats and skills and so on - with none of the dumbing down we saw in the other games after it.

I haven't played it unmodded for a decade, and trust me, it already has those shiny new graphics, no remake needed. Just search for "Morrowind MSGO/MXE" or similar on Youtube and you can see for yourself. It's a much better looking game than Oblivion, that's for sure.

I haven't played it unmodded for a decade, and trust me, it already has those shiny new graphics, no remake needed. Just search for "Morrowind MSGO/MXE" or similar on Youtube and you can see for yourself. It's a much better looking game than Oblivion, that's for sure.

Can you install all of this via Vortex? I'm not a big fan of installing 3000 different mod managers.

Back
Top Bottom