Wildermyth

RPGWatch

An RPGWatch Bot
Administrator
Wildermyth is a character-driven, procedurally-generated tactical RPG for the PC. Start with a small band of farmers--full of personality, but lacking in experience--and turn them into unique, legendary heroes.

Your party will defend the Yondering Lands from various threats, alternating between turn-based combat and strategic decisions on the overland map. Over time, your heroes will uncover the secrets of the land through comic-strip-style events, presenting them with choices that can change their appearance, personalities, relationships, and abilities. And victory (or death, whichever comes first) isn't the end. Heroes go into your "Legacy," and can show up in future playthroughs. Over the course of several stories, your legacy heroes grow into larger-than-life myths.

More information.

One of my favorite games of the past couple of years. But holy crap did the difficulty ramp up for the last mission of campaign #3.

I'm 8 hours in about halfway through my second story campaign and it's already starting to get really repetitive. There just isn't enough class or enemy variety imo. It also has an awful retirement mechanic where by the final chapter often your best characters are retirement age so they just leave, leaving you with significantly weaker characters that you haven't just spend 5-10 hours building a story with.

I'm 8 hours in about halfway through my second story campaign and it's already starting to get really repetitive. There just isn't enough class or enemy variety imo. It also has an awful retirement mechanic where by the final chapter often your best characters are retirement age so they just leave, leaving you with significantly weaker characters that you haven't just spend 5-10 hours building a story with.

Each campaign revolves around a discrete enemy type with completely unique units.

You'll get the opportunity to do quests for characters that will give them (usually) +10 to their retirement age, which will get them through most or all of the campaign. Mystics also have higher retirement ages by default, so keep that in mind. You are encouraged to use different characters with the aging, no question about that. But I've also had a character who I've had in all three campaigns I've completed, so it's certainly possible.

Man, that whole retirement mechanic sounds like something that might have me gnashing my teeth, were I to play this. I can get peeved even when forced to play characters when I've others in the stable that I'd rather use.

Back
Top Bottom