World Cup

It's a shame that Sweden and Japan are meeting in the quarterfinals because those might be the two best teams in the tournament.

What a end to that penalty shootout between US and Sweden, definitely one of the most insane things to happen in a world cup penalty shootout. I don't really feel we deserve the win though, the US goal keeper had to make like one save... in 120 minutes.....

Sweden is, what, one of the only three teams I think to win all their matches going into today, so I feel like they totally earned their spot in the eight. Actually I thought US looked really good the first half, then it seemed they ran outta steam.

The Morocco/France game concluded close to what I expected, yet the Jamaica/Colombia match was far more enjoyable. The quarter finals begin on Thursday.

The Netherlands/Spain game concluded pretty much the way I thought it would, yet the Sweden/Japan match was super-tight, congrats to Sweden for pulling out a nice victory!

WE ARE IN SEMI FINALS!!!!!!!!!!!!! YYYYYEAAAAAAAAAAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My god, 7-6 penalty shoot out!!!!!!!!!

TBH I actually think France played better but the luck was on our side :D

Agreed, Purple, France was the better team yet that's what can happen when you don't put the game away and it goes to a shoot-out. Congrats to the Matilda's!!

The Colombia/Britain match could have gone either way, at some points, though now we'll see who fares best between Britain and Australia.

It took a very late strike to put this match away for Spain, well done for both squads, it was a game well worth watching. I hope the next semi tomorrow is equally enjoyable.

I found the Spain/Sweden match fairly boring and lackluster in terms of skill... right up until Salma Paralluelo got on the field in the second half. Very promising player!

Nod, it seemed to me both squads were basically playing full defence. That's a recipe for losing, imo. Then that substitute changed the entire dynamic of the bout, thank goodness.

Now that was quite the match-up, and a clear lesson on how patience can pay off. Today Britain had the better team, and now we've only two matches remaining.

It's an interesting matchup for the final. England vs Spain is more like something I'd expect to see in the men's tournament.

Having a chance to sit down and watch that Aus-Eng match (and previously having hoped Australia would go all the way), that Matilda defense was just god awful.

Having a chance to sit down and watch that Aus-Eng match (and previously having hoped Australia would go all the way), that Matilda defense was just god awful.
You're correct about the defense - each of the 3 England goals was the direct result of a blatant defensive error. That said, England were much better on the ball most of the game and deserved to win. And I say that as a proud Aussie.

Too bad we made our by far worse match in the semi-finals.... but a bronze is not bad, it is just we have a lot of silvers and bronzes, the girls really deserve a gold by now... :D

Back
Top Bottom