Youtube ads

What do you think about Youtube ads?

• I don't care about ads

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • I don't like them, but I'll just feed the cat while they're on

Votes: 6 17.6%
  • I don't like them, and I'll give in. Let's go Premium!

Votes: 2 5.9%
  • I don't like them, but I haven't decided what to do

Votes: 7 20.6%
  • What do you mean? I don't see any ad

Votes: 11 32.4%
  • Something else

Votes: 7 20.6%

• Total voters
Maybe they lie about it, but it's managed by a committee made up of several coalitions. All the names are listed, and there is a specification of the standard. Are you saying it's a scam?
It's not a scam per se, just a failed project that hasn't been widely adopted for the reasons I've listed above. And something doesn't become a standard simply due to two dozen advertising providers being on the committee (with little to no influence) when there are literally dozens of thousands of others that don't get to participate.

That's your own measurement, so it's very specific to a place, a time, and a type of population. But it's interesting; do you have any idea why there was such a difference? 'Several times the rate' I mentioned (20-50 %) implies something at least like 60-100 %, which seems big.
As I said, my last measurements were made years back, but the numbers have been going up every year in the years prior to it. And yes, for the Codex, for instance, the numbers were already over 50% even then; I wouldn't be surprised if they were over 70% today. The fact that non-casual gamers are generally among the more advanced users is generally accepted as the reason why they block ads at a higher rate than the general population. Installing an ad blocker doesn't present any kind of a challenge to a serious gamer. But it presents less of a challenge with each passing year for other users as well.

A shop earns money by selling products, and the ads bring the customers to the shop, so I'm not sure I see the comparison here. The websites ads have turned the concept around by letting people earn money when people click on an ad placed on their websites. The ad has become the product, and the site a way to attract people to it.
You're confusing the shop's business vs. the shop product owners' business. A single website on the internet is akin to a single product in a store. Naturally, some websites are much larger than others and they don't all follow the same business model, but still. You are not coming to any website for its ads, but for the content it provides you. So claiming that the ads are somehow the product is disingenuous, to say the least.

But they certainly are important -- most commercial websites rely on the advertising for their income, subscriptions are usually trailing far behind as a source of income.

In the case of Youtube, the website may be maintained by them, but the content is created by the users, who perceive a small share of the revenue. And Youtube is so concerned by the well-being of their users - or at least they became recently - that they try to fight ad blockers. Makes sense. ;)

If that isn't greed, I don't know what is.
YT has enabled dozens if not hundreds of thousands of users to make a living by posting videos on their platform, with quite a few getting rich beyond most people's wildest dreams. I don't see that many of them except the smallest streamers complaining about not getting paid enough. Competing platforms with better terms for content creators certainly are out there vying for the same users, but the fact is that YT has by far the largest general audience which also results in the best payments for the content creators, so it's no wonder that most prefer to post their videos there despite being able to get a better deal on paper elsewhere. There are always two sides to every equation.

YouTube is a business out there to make a profit, same as any other. You can always demonize every business based on your own perception of how much money they should be making and how much is too much, but honestly, unless you have a problem with capitalism in general and are advocating for a change of economic system, you're basically making an emotional argument with little substance.

You got it the wrong way around. It's not that people don't understand it, or that they have to, but it's commercial websites ignoring that their potential viewers don't like ads, and yet trying desperately to increase a business that is fundamentally flawed.
Well, fundamentally flawed from your POV. I would argue that you are ignoring the fact that nearly all advertising-supported websites and platforms enable you to pay a fee to legitimately disable the ads if they bother you. It's certainly no secret to anyone that most people don't enjoy looking at ads, so nobody is really ignoring that. However, short of offering a supplemental ad-free subscription option, nobody has come up with a better solution that would work equally well for everyone involved and be suitable for every website. You're making it out as if the websites were out there to purposefully annoy or torment users with the ads, but that's honestly not the case.

Then there are non-commercial websites that only try to pay the expenses with ads. I can't speak for others, but I'd be more willing to let non-intrusive ads alone for those websites or, if I visit them often, maybe pay a subscription. Are those websites getting any revenue when people are only viewing ads but not clicking on them, or is it only when they click on them?
Realistically, any website that's only paying the expenses with the ads is not really commercial but a non-profit without any benefits that being an actual NPO brings.

The problem with ad blockers is that once people install them, the overwhelming majority will not bother or even know how to set exceptions for any websites that they want to exclude. This is reflected in the ever-growing ad blocking statistics. It's nice that the option is there, certainly, but realistically, the number of people that will make use of it is so low as to be negligible.

And yes, certain advertising does pay per view and not only per click, so sometimes just letting the ads show is already enough.

Last edited:
How dismissive you are of the cultures and civilizations that were extinguished to make your existence better. What a privileged life you live, indeed! Now you can gleefully snipe at others' comments with anonymity, from your couch, with nuanced insults and sneer. Please, give us more!

I had made an elaborate post, but it's just not worth it to argue over the internet. If you want to exchange real names and locations to discern who is abusing their anonymity here, send me a PM. Otherwise, I'm not wasting any time with the likes of you.

Last edited:
@Taluntain, you've missed my points and I disagree with most of what you've written, but I propose we leave it at that or it will derail the thread. It's just becoming too long and a little beside the point - I know you have ads at heart for your websites, so it's natural that we have different biases.

EDIT: However, we seem to agree that the Internet model has a problem, since viewers are used to browse for free or can't possibly pay a fee for each website, and providers need money to pay the content or simply the hosting fees.

Last edited:
Youtube is still changing things. I had a prompt for a premium offer, and it shows 'sponsored' videos again despite AdBlock: back to the cat & mouse chase. :D

Those type of ads aren't too annoying and much more appropriate in the Youtube context, IMHO. They're actually less annoying to me than their #Shorts TikTok-copycat video suggestions.

1697889950239.png

PS: And after watching one RetroBytes video, now I'm getting plenty of 'retro' and HW suggestions. :sneaky:

I know you have ads at heart for your websites, so it's natural that we have different biases.
Actually, I like to think that I'm simply being objective when discussing this topic whereas you aren't, but I'm sure that you'll disagree. :biggrin: I don't have "ads at heart" in any way beyond them being a means to an end, and that is ensuring financial stability of the websites that are primarily funded by advertising.

However, we seem to agree that the Internet model has a problem, since viewers are used to browse for free or can't possibly pay a fee for each website, and providers need money to pay the content or simply the hosting fees.
That's the crux of the problem here. Advertising-supported websites are free for the user. No user is required to click on any ads or make any purchases or make any action whatsoever related to the advertising. While blocking ads makes a website "more" free to use, it also means offloading the cost of the ad-blocking user's use of website resources and infrastructure to either the other users who aren't blocking ads or to the website owner. This is the missing part of the ad blocking equation that most people either don't realize or don't care about, so I feel that it needs to be pointed out.

Actually, I like to think that I'm simply being objective when discussing this topic whereas you aren't, but I'm sure that you'll disagree.
Sure, try the baiting, after the exaggerations. ;) See, that's why I'm not discussing this any further with you. As I said, let's just keep it at that.

I don't have "ads at heart" in any way beyond them being a means to an end, and that is ensuring financial stability of the websites that are primarily funded by advertising.
I need to clarify because it can obviously be interpreted the wrong way: I didn't mean it in a bad way, but exactly as you said above: for you, it's a tool that helps financially, while for the users, it's often a hindrance in the browsing experience.

YouTube must have updated something since yesterday because now I'm finally getting a popup saying that ad blockers are not allowed.

Fuckers...

Yup, saw the same thing last night when I was trying to find a lecture related to one of my classes online. Oh well, it would suck to lose them as a resource yet I'm surely not going to pay for the privilege.

Oddly enough, this is the first time for me. I saw everyone else complaining about them before, but I never had a popup until now despite visiting YouTube every day.

Oddly enough, this is the first time for me. I saw everyone else complaining about them before, but I never had a popup until now despite visiting YouTube every day.
Maybe you were lucky, or they didn't test that in your region (not sure if they split the US into several regions, though).

They had said their testing was expanding over time to an ever larger user base.
It was meant to not go full bang in case of any major issues.

They will lose a lot of viewers, but this crackdown, despite being wildly unpopular, will ultimately make them loads of money. Sadly, many will actually pay for their content. Netflix taught them that this kind of bullying works, financially.

YouTube also has the resources to continue to keep up with the widely-used blockers you can download. People are seeing YouTube react to new versions within 24 hours. Eventually these freeware programmers will give up, or start asking for money of their own.

Over the last week I've really paid attention to what/how I used YouTube. I use it for background noise when doing other things, primarily. Maybe 2-3 videos a day are genuinely interesting to me. Not interesting enough to pay $20/month, but if they ever come out with an add-free $5/month subscription which doesn't include trash live TV access, I'd consider it.

It was neat when everyone "cut the cable" and splurged on Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu or Disney+. They went from a $100/month cable subscription that included 200 channels down to maybe $20-30/month. But it seems you'll soon be back to $100/month for maybe 4-5 'services'. And it's only a matter of time before the ad-free stuff goes away. I guarantee within 5 years, you'll be paying more and also watching ads, just like you used to.

YouTube also has the resources to continue to keep up with the widely-used blockers you can download. People are seeing YouTube react to new versions within 24 hours. Eventually these freeware programmers will give up, or start asking for money of their own.
AdBlock (and so uBlock) and Adblock Plus are owned by Eyeo, they're not doing it for free.

Not interesting enough to pay $20/month
Where'd you see that price? I see Premium at $14/month for an individual and $23 for a family of up to 5. Also, $8 for students.

Europe seems to have entirely different pricing, it only shows one plan at €7,19 for me. It could also be that it varies from one European country to another.

Edit: just verified that it actually does. It's €11,99 in Germany, Italy and Spain for example. So they have adjusted pricing across different European countries. I wouldn't be surprised if wealthier US states also had higher pricing than the more rural ones.

Last edited:
One thing to remember in US is that we do not include state or county taxes when we quote prices. Yep, they're allowed to do that. So that 14 is actually 15-16, depending on your state. And no doubt they will raise prices within the next year to make up for the viewers they lose. They're following Netflix's business model.

I expect that any loss of viewers will be negligible; there aren't really any equivalent alternatives to YT content unless you're willing to heavily compromise, which the overwhelming majority of people are not. There'll be initial complaints and threats of boycott, but in the end most people will either get Premium or put up with the ads to continue enjoying the same experience and content that they've grown used to. That is, unless a competing YT equivalent with no ads materializes, but that is highly unlikely.

Out of curiosity to the people that don’t want to pay or watch ads, what’s your alternative? I assume you don’t expect YouTube to operate at a net lose so you can watch free videos?

Back
Top Bottom