Brexit

I only explained where the 63 is coming from. :)

I agree with you, Pladio, those who do not vote can not complain, same with elections as far as I am concerned.

But I do think that the advisory part is a bit dubious. Many/some people might have thought: ‘Why bother, they’ll never follow the advice’. Things should have been clear from the beginning.
Also, (afaik) they did not tell in advance what the turnout rate had to be to follow up on the advice, or what would be seen as a ‘reasonable majority’.
Apart from that I have understood that people that were included in previous elections/referenda (forgot which one) that were deliberately excluded to take part in this referendum.

That is why politicians that were/are pro Brexit or unscrupulous power lovers were so keen not to have a second referendum, because all sorts of people who could not or did not vote last time, would vote Remain when having the (second) chance. According to articles I have read and that made sense to me. :)

Last edited:
The British Government Publicly State Intention to Break International Law:

The party of law and order. For modern conservatives, the rule of law applies to other people.

I fear Brexit, on top of everything else, may just tip me over the edge.

The party of law and order. For modern conservatives, the rule of law applies to other people.

"Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition, to wit: There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect." —Frank Wilhoit

"Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition, to wit: There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect." —Frank Wilhoit

I love a good quote. That's going in the library.

That is a good one. I think I rambled on about human nature and thumbs. That's a lot shorter.

Something to lighten up the mood: An Englishman, a Scotsman and an Irishman walk into a bar. The Englishman wanted to go so they all had to leave.

Something to lighten up the mood: An Englishman, a Scotsman and an Irishman walk into a bar. The Englishman wanted to go so they all had to leave.

I hope you weren't really trying to lighten the mood, because that's the thing. I really do think Boris and Brexit will be the final straw for the Scottish. I do see it as shame for the UK, but an inevitability from that sort of thinking. Take note, guys - this shit has consequences.

I hope you weren't really trying to lighten the mood, because that's the thing. I really do think Boris and Brexit will be the final straw for the Scottish. I do see it as shame for the UK, but an inevitability from that sort of thinking. Take note, guys - this shit has consequences.

Sorry perhaps it was a tasteless joke since it is a truly grim situation for you guys. I'm only looking at this from the outside and I'm still puzzled why UK chose this mad path. I mean I know how populism works and all that, but there really doesn't seem to be any real upside. It is these times we live, I quess.

Last edited:
Sorry perhaps it was a tasteless joke since it is a truly grim situation for you guys. I'm only looking at this from the outside and I'm still puzzled why UK chose this mad path. I mean I know how populism works and all that, but there really doesn't seem to be any real upside. It is these times we live, I quess.

By the way, my sister lived some years in Scotland and got married there. Got to spend one long summer there as well. Happy times back then. Truly shame that it has gone this far.

No, don't worry - I don't mean to imply I'm taking it personally. That's just my way of saying, "Yeah, but shit's about to get disagreeably real around here, too."

Sorry perhaps it was a tasteless joke since it is a truly grim situation for you guys.
There is a saying: Never miss the opportunity to tell a good joke only out of fear to loose a few friends...:cool:

On the more serious side: The English occupation of Northern Ireland is a big crime, so I will be happy if Brexit gives an opportunity to give Ireland back to the Irish.

There is a saying: Never miss the opportunity to tell a good joke only out of fear to loose a few friends…:cool:

On the more serious side: The English occupation of Northern Ireland is a big crime, so I will be happy if Brexit gives an opportunity to give Ireland back to the Irish.

My guess is that brexit makes any kind of reunification of ireland even less likely.

It wasn't very likely to begin with.

Maybe I'm pessimistic, but my guess is that brexit makes any kind of reunification of ireland even less likely.
You may be right, nobody can predict the future. However, I understand that because of Johnson's destructive position in the Brexit-Talks even some of the NI protestants start considering reunification because they don't want a hard border between NI and I, which is unavoidable in case of a hard Brexit.

If it goes along that road and stays peaceful I'd certainly be happy. ;)

I think the devil is in the keeping it peaceful bit. In the ideal world, I'd be quite happy to see the island of Ireland reunited, but the protestant British have also been there for a long time. TBH, I don't see it so much as an opportunity, but a risk to the fragile peace process. I think a future united, peaceful Ireland might be less likely if the Brexit nonsense causes turmoil and resentment.

Sooooo.... no comments?? Is this all done? Time for another referendum on re-joining the EU now? Maybe you could call it the Eng-In? <grinning, ducking, dodging Spitfires>

Most people in Germany are getting annoyed or at least bored when they hear about Brexit. I predict the discussion will never end in Britain, because Brexit is all smoke and mirrors and will not help the people in the UK.

I honestly hope that the UK gets absolutely trashed in terms of trade with the EU. If you are going to have a common market / free trade zone, you need to make the benefits of joining good ... but also the penalty for leaving very high. Like 100% tariffs for everything for 10 years, and so on. Don't want to join, fine - make a trade deal. Want to tweak the terms, also fine.

Yeah, they negotiated some "new" deal. 1250 Pages or something. For now, it sounds like they made some minor concessions so that Boris can try to save face. Not sure though, because who'll be able to read all that in time…

Back
Top Bottom