Final Fantasy 6 on PC

FFVI was one of the few JRPGs I really enjoyed, and I would definitely purchase a PC version if it was a decent port.

I'm skeptical about the validity of that rumor though. I'm pretty sure Square Enix would have made it well known by now if they had plans for a PC version.

FFVI was one of the few JRPGs I really enjoyed, and I would definitely purchase a PC version if it was a decent port.

I'm skeptical about the validity of that rumor though. I'm pretty sure Square Enix would have made it well known by now if they had plans for a PC version.

Definitely my favorite of the series ... still not sure if I would play on PC (have it on iOS and PSN).

This is awesome, I hope it stays true to its snes roots.

Android port, more or less. December 16th.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/382900/

That's a really bad sign. I was gifted FF V (which is, from a gameplay perspective, actually quite good for a JRPG, as it offers you a lot more choices in how to design your party members), and the port was terrible. Not only did it look really bad (there were visible "seams" around many of the tiles, so grass really did look like a grid), but more damning was the fact that the game had a tendency of moving your cursor around in the menus. This meant that quickly getting past random encounters was not really an option, as the game could randomly decide that the what you should select was an elixir and move the cursor there, instead of either the last menu option you had selected, or the topmost one (there were two options that you could use, you could either let the game "remember" the last thing you did, and so for an example if you attacked, the cursor would be on "attack" the next time it was a characters turn, or it could always move back to the topmost option). The bug made random encounters take a lot longer than they should, and they've still not fixed it (and seem to have no intentions of doing so). FF V was by the way also a mobile port.
I also experience an inconsistent framerate. It was hardly something that made the game unplayable, but it did indicate that someone was not on the ball when it came to optimizing it.

The FF VI port looks very similar (looks like they're using the same engine), and thus I would not be surprised if it also suffers from the same issues as the FF V port did.

Odd, Final Fantasy 4 had nothing like that.

Odd, Final Fantasy 4 had nothing like that.

The FF4 port was a 3D remake that was ported from the Nintendo 3DS iirc.

It was ok, but I actually prefer the look of the original 2D version.

Imo, the best versions of those earlier titles were the PS1 versions. They were mostly identical to the original Super Famicom games but with CGI animated intros and endings.

I own FF3, and the port seemed good enough (but the game was rather boring).

Yeah, I played a fan-translated copy of the original Famicom FF3 years ago, and it didn't seem very interesting. I didn't play very far into it though.

Of the first 9 games in the series, FF3 and FFV are the only ones I haven't played through. I'm not sure why I never finished FFV as I definitely enjoyed it, but I plan on giving the recent Steam release a try in the future.

Of the first 9 games in the series, FF3 and FFV are the only ones I haven't played through. I'm not sure why I never finished FFV as I definitely enjoyed it, but I plan on giving the recent Steam release a try in the future.

It might be worth just playing the fan translation of FFV, due to the issues with the steam version.

I've never been super impressed with the FF series myself. Played through 5-9 over the years, as people have been telling me about how great the stories were, and I've tried most of the earlier ones (1 bored me to tears, not played 2, only played the steam version of 3 and got bored fast, 4 felt overly grindy, 5 was quite good, 6 was also good (but I would not consider replaying it), 7 was mostly alright, 8 was kinda dull, and 9 I really liked)

It might be worth just playing the fan translation of FFV, due to the issues with the steam version.

FFV was released on PS1 over here, so I have that if I don't like the Steam version.

I've never been super impressed with the FF series myself. Played through 5-9 over the years, as people have been telling me about how great the stories were, and I've tried most of the earlier ones (1 bored me to tears, not played 2, only played the steam version of 3 and got bored fast, 4 felt overly grindy, 5 was quite good, 6 was also good (but I would not consider replaying it), 7 was mostly alright, 8 was kinda dull, and 9 I really liked)

Yeah, most people seem to really like 9, although I never understood why. I found the characters to be overly cartoonish and somewhat silly tbh. It reminded me of Disney, and I generally despise most things Disney. :)

FFV was released on PS1 over here, so I have that if I don't like the Steam version.

Yeah, most people seem to really like 9, although I never understood why. I found the characters to be overly cartoonish and somewhat silly tbh. It reminded me of Disney, and I generally despise most things Disney. :)

I found it charming, and I could relate to most of the characters. On the flipside I found Squall to be a really boring character who I could not relate to. Cloud also mostly fell into that category.
I do like Disney, including most of the Pixar movies.

I've actually only gotten through 7, 9, and 10. 7 was my favorite by far. 8 was my least favorite. 9 was OK but didn't seem particularly special to me. 10 was rough at first but got better after the pond love-scene. 12 had an interesting combat system but the story was boring me to tears - I ended up quitting pretty close to the end. 13 was nice looking but I didn't much like the combat, the story, or the crafting. I got 4 and it was OK, just not good enough with all the great games coming out right now.

I picked up the Android port of FFVI a week or two ago, fired it up last night. It's truly excellent. The music never sounded better, the atmosphere is as thick as ever and it's excellent to play with a gamepad. Really love the added Bestiary, Album, and Music sections to play around with. Look forward to delving in deeper. :)

I picked up the Android port of FFVI a week or two ago, fired it up last night. It's truly excellent. The music never sounded better, the atmosphere is as thick as ever and it's excellent to play with a gamepad. Really love the added Bestiary, Album, and Music sections to play around with. Look forward to delving in deeper. :)

Agreed ... I had tried playing the PSN version on my PS Vita, then reloaded on the iPhone and was reminded just how much better the iOS port is (the Android version is a port from the iOS port).

Other than having the additional bestiary and music sections, how is the mobile version better exactly? It's debatable if the visuals are even an improvement over the original. A lot of people prefer the look of the original sprites.

The visuals in the mobile port look somewhat blurry and overly bright to me.

Agreed … I had tried playing the PSN version on my PS Vita, then reloaded on the iPhone and was reminded just how much better the iOS port is (the Android version is a port from the iOS port).

Interesting. The only version I've ever played is the SNES version (before this Android version, of course).

Other than having the additional bestiary and music sections, how is the mobile version better exactly? It's debatable if the visuals are even an improvement over the original. A lot of people prefer the look of the original sprites.

The visuals in the mobile port look somewhat blurry and overly bright to me.

I'm listening to the game on a new set of noise-cancelling headphones, and I'm almost sure they have remastered and tweaked the music in the game to sound even more impressive. I mean, try watching the intro of the game with a good set of headphones. It's remarkable how good it sounds.

The new graphics are very clean and expressive. I really like the new overworld look, and the sprites have taken a little getting used to, but I really like them as well. The graphics in general have been freshly polished, it seems.

Overall, it's just a really nicely-polished port of the game. The game looks really good on an 8" 1080p Nvidia Shield Tablet, that's for sure. Play it with a dynamic set of headphones and you will really be in for a treat. :)

I'm listening to the game on a new set of noise-cancelling headphones, and I'm almost sure they have remastered and tweaked the music in the game to sound even more impressive. I mean, try watching the intro of the game with a good set of headphones. It's remarkable how good it sounds.

It's probably the headphones because afaik they didn't make any changes to the music, and I highly doubt they remastered the soundtrack just to port it to iOS.

The new graphics are very clean and expressive. I really like the new overworld look, and the sprites have taken a little getting used to, but I really like them as well. The graphics in general have been freshly polished, it seems.

I think the new graphics are anything but clean, but that's certainly subjective. I know there's a significant amount of controversy over the new sprites though. It almost seemed like half the threads in the Steam forum are people bitching about the visuals.

Imo, most of the complaints are valid. Keep in mind that I'm talking about the PC port now, not the iOS or Android ports. When something like this gets ported to the PC, gamers expect at least some improvements. In this case, it seems like there are none.

Imo, most of the complaints are valid. Keep in mind that I'm talking about the PC port now, not the iOS or Android ports. When something like this gets ported to the PC, gamers expect at least some improvements. In this case, it seems like there are none.

I can't speak to the PC port (and agree with your assessment of the likely non-improvements) ... But I know that putting the iOS version on the iPad Pro (12.9" screen) ... Um, not pretty. Looks very good on the phone, but not so much on the high-resolution large screen. But again, I have no interest in the PC version. I loved the GBA release :)

Back
Top Bottom