The Last Stanley Cup Playoffs thread

The Red Wings missed the payoffs by a tiebreaker. They finished with the same point total as Washington, but the Capitals got the last playoff spot due to having more wins in regulation despite having 1 less win overall. That doesn't seem right to me.
Yep, stupid rules is stupid. We can't catch a break- lose ground in the draft lottery every year of the rebuild and now that we're sorta competitive we still are stuck on the outside looking in.

There really aren't any teams in it that I vaguely don't mind and rooting for the meteor never seems to pay off, so I guess I'm down to rooting for fan bases that have stood by bad teams and/or owner screwjobs for years and years (like the Cleveland Browns fans, for example) which I think puts me in the unenviable position of rooting for the 'Peg or maybe the Oil. I suppose the Laffs would meet that criteria, but I do have limits.

Yep, stupid rules is stupid. We can't catch a break- lose ground in the draft lottery every year of the rebuild and now that we're sorta competitive we still are stuck on the outside looking in.

There really aren't any teams in it that I vaguely don't mind and rooting for the meteor never seems to pay off, so I guess I'm down to rooting for fan bases that have stood by bad teams and/or owner screwjobs for years and years (like the Cleveland Browns fans, for example) which I think puts me in the unenviable position of rooting for the 'Peg or maybe the Oil. I suppose the Laffs would meet that criteria, but I do have limits.
At least the Pens didn't make it either. As for the teams that are in, I just don't want to see Colorado, Tampa, or Vegas win it.

I wouldn't mind the Panthers, Jets, or Predators since none of them have ever hoisted the Cup.

Yep, stupid rules is stupid.
I find it hard to feel much sympathy for teams that don't make the NHL/NBA playoffs since it is either half (NHL) or 2/3 (NBA) of teams that enter the interminable playoffs that will still be going in JUNE.

I'm so amused that the Penguins got cut, that just made my heart soar. And yeah, while I love the Capitols, I'd be amazed if they make it very far into the series.

I find it hard to feel much sympathy for teams that don't make the NHL/NBA playoffs since it is either half (NHL) or 2/3 (NBA) of teams that enter the interminable playoffs that will still be going in JUNE.
I do agree that the playoffs are bloated, especially in the NBA. Teams that aren't even .500 should never be in any kind of playoff.

For me it is always LEAFS all the way!!!! But then I'm an eternal optimist as I still remember when they last won the cup!!
Planning the parade down Bay Street again this year?
The Red Wings missed the payoffs by a tiebreaker. They finished with the same point total as Washington, but the Capitals got the last playoff spot due to having more wins in regulation despite having 1 less win overall. That doesn't seem right to me.
Its the dumbest rule. It was always wins before. A win is a win is a win. Now, a regular season OT is 3 on 3 and it's sudden death followed by a shootout if it's not decided in time, so there's the absolute complete stupidity in that (and it's completely backfired since with all the open ice it's far easier to possess the puck the whole time so that's what they do). Nevertheless, previously it was wins followed by most goals. Bettman needs to get his act together.
Also, the OTL and the salary cap are a huge contributor to parity in the league. You had four teams in the east fight for the wild card spots.
What's most remarkable is Washington were sellers at the trade deadline. They gave up but here they are. Pittsburgh not selling would have probably made the difference. The smart thing there now is for the team to trade him for youth and picks. Now that he's angry, he might be willing to do that. The Capitals are just wasting time in the playoffs, and that's obvious. They need to see what's going on.
Also, the Yzerplan is clearly not working.
Well, they're not cursed by the Presidents Cup trophy this year...
They learned there lesson
I hate the Leafs, as does every Canadian outside of Ontario..go Canucks go!!!
Go, leaves, just go!
Now as Canucks fans we need to be pessimistic, negative and throw some star player under the bus. Last two days I've been reading it's EP.

Will be curious about tomorrows game. Tocchet all year has the Canucks shooting more and Nashville responded last game by blocking shots. 18 shots, 33 shots blocked, and 33 shots missing the net. Our guys have hard shooters and we tend to hurt guys getting in the way of them, so I'm not sure this is the best strategy for the Preds. I hope it's not this round at least.
If injuring them out of commission with shots isn't good enough to win then we need to wait for them to drop and deke around them.

That stunk last night, Edmonton dropping that game that they should have won. Ahhh well, I hope they regroup and come back strong.
I'm really not confident in the Oilers goaltending, I see that as their Achilles Heel...
Especially after watching Sergei Bobrovsky play, now thats Stanley Cup goaltending!

Laffs are already resorting to politicking the refs. Sad. Still looking for mutual destruction in that series, though.

Back
Top Bottom