Rogue Trader Warhammer 40K Rogue Trader News

Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader
I have read the review now and I can get behind what they write about bugs and the cluncky level-up system and the difficult skill descriptions, but boring combat and filler combat? Have I played a different game?

I expected low scores because of the setting, and the fact it's different then Pathfinder. Owlcat games have always been huge bugfests on release as well.

EDIT: Fixed a few typos due to tablet pad controls.

Also their games are always in the 60-70 range on review rating sites.:unsure:

Last edited:
I mistyped. I meant the options are only Steam and EGS. No GOG is what I meant was surprising.
GoG is an available option but key generation seems to be buggy atm. If you want GoG key, don't generate the key yet and wait until Owlcat resolve the issue or open a discord ticket.

Haven't read the review on PC Gamer yet, but 59 points seems very harsh.
I enjoyed the game a lot even in Beta...

I don't think its harsh, its unfair score - unless the final version is far more broken than the coop beta version. I mean, the dude thinks Bioware would have done much better job than Owlcats lol.

I have read the review now and I can get behind what they write about bugs and the cluncky level-up system and the difficult skill descriptions, but boring combat and filler combat? Have I played a different game?

While I don't agree with their unfair score of 59, I do agree that there were a lot of boring filler combat and that you level up too often it gets annoying.

Mortismal was also overall positive about the game. With a few things he didn't like, the main issue he mentioned were the bugs.
But he was still postiive about it. I'm sure it's at least decent.

It will be decent for 40k fans for sure but will be buggy from act 3. I ended up finishing coop beta content which was up to act 3 and my choices were starting to get muddled up. For example, I killed off certain companion but others were talking to me as if that companion is still alive and with us - so good chance the choices in the ending will be seriously muddled up considering act 4 and 5 weren't available until the release.

Last edited:
Yeah, another game I'm leaving for 1-2 years, for them to get all the content in and fix everything. But looking at youtubers playing it, it looks solid.
The rate at which they seem to be delivering huge rpgs is astounding. In a couple of years and they have 3 of them already launched. And they're no small potatoes either. But big sprawling ones, from what I hear from Mortismal.
Mortismal seems to be particularly enamoured with them. I think he rated Wrath of the Righteous just a step ahead of BG3.

Last edited:
Yep, I figured Rogue Trader was a 2025 game. I still haven't played WotR yet because all the DLC aren't out yet, and I'll do the same with RT.

Once again, I was given an early access to full release version of the game. I will be dumping screenshots and thought on Watch discord as I go. Feel free to browse if anyone is interested

30 hours of content in 2 DLC? It's just way too much content that will take them too long to deliver.

Are we looking at another 180 hour+ game when it is all ready to play? Just too long and they would actually make more money by saving a ton of dev effort if they trimmed the play time by a modest amount.

30 hours of content in 2 DLC? It's just way too much content that will take them too long to deliver.

Are we looking at another 180 hour+ game when it is all ready to play? Just too long and they would actually make more money by saving a ton of dev effort if they trimmed the play time by a modest amount.
Modesty has never been an adjective to describe them. Neither in amount of bugs nor game length or content. Unfortunately, more is not always more. All Owlcat games have burned me out and I did not manage to finish any of them although they should be in my alley. Judging from the reviews, this one might even be close to as buggy as Kingmaker was at launch. Still impressive that they manage to deliver so much in so short time.

Judging from the reviews, this one might even be close to as buggy as Kingmaker was at launch. Still impressive that they manage to deliver so much in so short time.
Definitely not as buggy as Kingmaker, maybe on the par with WotR or slightly worse.

I tend to love long games but this one worries me - as Mortismal gaming noted, I wasn't happy with the pacing of the game and coherency of the story. At least he thinks it comes together at the end so fingers crossed. I dread going through act 3 again...

Agreed. In fact, I'm actually getting to the point where a game being that long is a negative rather than a positive for me. The majority of longer games seem to drag on towards the end for me, and I usually end up thinking they would have been better if they hadn't been that long.

Agreed. In fact, I'm actually getting to the point where a game being that long is a negative rather than a positive for me. The majority of longer games seem to drag on towards the end for me, and I usually end up thinking they would have been better if they hadn't been that long.
I have not completed RT yet but I think it has less content than Kingmaker/WotR - so might be a good news for you guys. Beta took me about 60-70 hours (prologue to act 3), so I assume the whole game would probably take me about 100-120 hours - both Kingmaker and WotR took me 120 hours to complete too but I was using RTwP the whole time. RT is TB only and combats are eating up most of the time, at least for me anyway.

120 hours + 30 hours of DLC is still getting up there but that doesn't sound as bad as I was imaging it might be.

It also sounds like you play a bit fast than me though. I think Kingmaker took me 170 hours to finish on hard difficulty with all DLC. I only played it once (excluding time in alpha/beta) so maybe once you know everything it goes a lot faster?

It also sounds like you play a bit fast than me though. I think Kingmaker took me 170 hours to finish on hard difficulty with all DLC. I only played it once (excluding time in alpha/beta) so maybe once you know everything it goes a lot faster?
Yes I think that is a plausible explanation + I played on normal so likely I spent less time in combat encounters than you did too.

Think I settled on my first character, Seth. Voidborn, Psyker Biomancer, Warrior. Not the best combo but I need to start somewhere and will see how he is once I finish the prologue.

Finished the prologue and enjoying the game the more I play, which is a big surprise. I am positive I have gimped myself, not understanding certain things (like WP only matters for psykers and not till level 11 from what I read), that agility would have been good to put points into for a melee focused psyker with low strength. Also that I spread myself to thin as I like to be good at everything - good fighter, good with speech checks, good at pysker stuff, tech skill, medicae skill ... anyhow will see how it all goes. Level ups give me some options but he will be far from a perfect character which has its pros and cons. Luckily easy mode is very easy so I think no matter how poorly made he might be it will still be fun.

Back
Top Bottom