Dragon Age 2 - The decline of the Classic RPG at Hooked Gamers

The game is designed with the idea of playing it as a mix of a "hack n' slash" action game with some tactics though; the designers have clearly said this, as it was their attempt to combine elements of action games with the tactical options of Origins. I feel that it leans more towards action. But if players can somehow find deep tactical enjoyment from playing it with absolutely no companion tactics on - which would be a great solution if not for the game's speed, along with a core design that was clearly not intended for this- then more power to them. I just don't feel that playing it in a way that the designers didn't plan for suddenly makes it a deep tactical game if it wasn't intended to be played that way, and only creates an arbitrary, tedious challenge instead of a legitimate one. It would be like saying an easy shooter game is challenging if, instead of using an assault rifle, you only use a weak pistol or throwing knives that you picked up at the beginning of the game. Well look how challenging it is now! I don't want to attempt to force the game to be something it's not in this manner, but at least someone found a solution that works for them in order to make the game tactically challenging/appealing. Again, I'm not saying in any way that DA2 is God of War with stats, as that's not the case; there certainly is more depth to the game than spamming awesome-buttons. But saying that DA2 is a really deep tactical experience just doesn't seem believable from my perspective, and it truly feels like more of an action game to me.

Edit: By the way DoctorNarrative, I was serious about wanting to hear what you think after playing the full game. I'm focusing on the combat when talking about the game because that's the only thing I can definitively, objectively judge. But combat is far from the most important aspect of an RPG for me, so I would appreciate your thoughts after you complete it, as I won't be buying it myself anytime soon.

Last edited:
The game is designed with the idea of playing it as a mix of a "hack n' slash" action game with some tactics though; the designers have clearly said this, as it was their attempt to combine elements of action games with the tactical options of Origins. I feel that it leans more towards action. But if players can somehow find deep tactical enjoyment from playing it with absolutely no companion tactics on - which would be a great solution if not for the game's speed, along with a core design that was clearly not intended for this- then more power to them. I just don't feel that playing it in a way that the designers didn't plan for suddenly makes it a deep tactical game if it wasn't intended to be played that way, and only creates an arbitrary, tedious challenge instead of a legitimate one.

And I disagree… the game was not designed as a hack n' slash game with some tactics thrown in, it was designed to appeal to both categories, to be played one way or the other. You can have the computer handle companion tactics and run around all actiony or you can handle the whole party and pause and plan.

It was intended to function well both ways, I am not shoehorning anything in. Bioware themselves released a video, the first footage which made me optimistic about the game, showing that they designed the game for both gameplay styles.

You talk about the speed making it hard to pause and plan the whole party's actions but that's just not the case from what I have played. Animations and movements are fast but there is still plenty of time to plan and move your people around. The normal attacks are very weak and of course you can pause, which makes speed irrelevant. I played DA:O with all auto-tactics off as well and DA2 plays about the same.

It has been streamlined in some areas… companion armor, friendly fire, etc. etc.. I have never disputed that. It is still a tactical RPG though, that is my only argument. It has some options to play it as more of a hack n' slash game but at heart it is the same tactical RPG as Origins, just with some streamlining tweaks both bad and good.

I feel the demo is proof of this. I feel it fully shows that DA2 is a tactical RPG. I will continue to debate and argue this point, as it is what I feel is true. You obviously feel otherwise, and thus we disagree.

It is a streamlined game though, for sure. For those who are only trying to say "yes it is a tactical RPG but one that is too dumbed down for me" then okay, that's a valid point. I have no problem with that.

And I disagree… the game was not designed as a hack n' slash game with some tactics thrown in, it was designed to appeal to both categories, to be played one way or the other. You can have the computer handle companion tactics and run around all actiony or you can handle the whole party and pause and plan.

It was intended to function well both ways, I am not shoehorning anything in. Bioware themselves released a video, the first footage which made me optimistic about the game, showing that they designed the game for both gameplay styles.

You talk about the speed making it hard to pause and plan the whole party's actions but that's just not the case from what I have played. Animations and movements are fast but there is still plenty of time to plan and move your people around. The normal attacks are very weak and of course you can pause, which makes speed irrelevant. I played DA:O with all auto-tactics off as well and DA2 plays about the same.

It has been streamlined in some areas… companion armor, friendly fire, etc. etc.. I have never disputed that. It is still a tactical RPG though, that is my only argument. It has some options to play it as more of a hack n' slash game but at heart it is the same tactical RPG as Origins, just with some streamlining tweaks both bad and good.

I feel the demo is proof of this. I feel it fully shows that DA2 is a tactical RPG. I will continue to debate and argue this point, as it is what I feel is true. You obviously feel otherwise, and thus we disagree.

It is a streamlined game though, for sure. For those who are only trying to say "yes it is a tactical RPG but one that is too dumbed down for me" then okay, that's a valid point. I have no problem with that.

Fair enough, and I think you make a valid point. I'll meet you half way and say that it is a tactical RPG that is simply way too streamlined for my own tastes, though I can see why it might still be enjoyable to others - like those who disable companion tactics for a solution as you suggested, for example. It didn't make the combat more enjoyable for me, as I still just don't like the mechanics and the way it functions, but if it works for others, then it must work at least to some degree.

Well I hope most of the full game is more than just a long string of combat encounters interrupted by occasional cutscenes like the demo. If not, then it's definitely hack n' slash in context of the amount of combat to some people. Just like some people refer to Icewind Dale as hack n' slash, even though the combat itself obviously isn't.

Fair enough, and I think you make a valid point. I'll meet you half way and say that it is a tactical RPG that is simply way too streamlined for my own tastes, though I can see why it might still be enjoyable to others - like those who disable companion tactics for a solution as you suggested, for example. It didn't make the combat more enjoyable for me, as I still just don't like the mechanics and the way it functions, but if it works for others, then it must work at least to some degree.

Word... glad we found common ground.

I fully understand the disappointment in the game and do sympathize. If I did not like action RPGs as well as tactical ones I might find it to be too streamlined as well.

Well I hope most of the full game is more than just a long string of combat encounters interrupted by occasional cutscenes like the demo. If not, then it's definitely hack n' slash in context of the amount of combat to some people. Just like some people refer to Icewind Dale as hack n' slash, even though the combat itself obviously isn't.

That's a good point... I guess what I mean is that it is not purely skill-based like Mass Effect. I did have to plan and use some positioning to beat the second ogre and I assume on hard that will be even more true.

If I did not like action RPGs as well as tactical ones I might find it to be too streamlined as well.

I also like action RPGs. I enjoy a wide variety of games and even different genres :) I'm just not a big fan of the streamlined approach for tactics-based games.

I also like action RPGs. I enjoy a wide variety of games and even different genres :) I'm just not a big fan of the streamlined approach for tactics-based games.

Well that makes even more sense then honestly, since I think it is still a tactical game (just a more streamlined one).

I think the word "classic" could have been left out in the article.

This game is the first Bioware game I'll not buy at release date.

After playing the demo and reading the comments here and in the bioware forums, I'll wait for some reviews here. If there are not convincing I'll buy the game in the bargain bin in 2 years(maybe).

I have enough good challenging games to play this year … new and old ones.

I'm a hardcore gamer, an rpg enthusiast - I hate dumbing down, streamlining and "casual" games. I have already omitted Arcania.

I love challenging, tricky, interesting games, lots of choices with consequences, interesting rules, perks, traits, speech & tactic options and a free world.

I love games in which I have to use my brain to overcome all kind of obstacles, I love developing complex charcacters and parties. Only then I can feel the satisfaction after a successful playthrough. An interactive movie on the other hand is leaving me kind of empty in the end.

Just my 2 cents.

I certainly didn't have to use tactics a single time during the demo. I have no idea how anyone could come away from that demo and consider it a tactical experience - but I can't exactly prove that it's not a cerebral game. If DA2 is 95% of the same experience as DAO, then Invisible War is 95% the same as Deus Ex.

Sure.

If Dragon Age wasn't part of the title, the demo would have been unanimously deemed a hack and slash action RPG, with little or no tactical underpinning.

There would be no argument.

Now, as to whether that would have been a good thing or not, that would depend on personal preferences.

For myself, I enjoy action RPGs when done well. Just like I might enjoy Dragon Age 2 in that way, but I won't be able to get past how they've completed abandoned everything they established in the first game. They spent all that effort establishing the racial origins, and giving away the relatively thorough lore of the world, bit by bit. I really felt immersed in that setting, which came as a surprise to me. I was convinced they'd use that very strong groundwork for many games to come - as anything else would be a complete waste.

This move to the 24 "awesome" TV show style storytelling is almost as different as it could have been. One of the worst examples of a sequel design transition I've ever seen - and I've seen it all.

I've seen two reviews mention they completed it in respectively 12 and 15 hours. Now, I'm sure that could be doubled by careful exploration - but that kind of brevity was totally out of the question for the first game. I think the fastest I've heard anyone do on a first run-through of DA:O was between 30 and 40 hours.

DA:O was a game that truly took its time to establish mood, background, and characters. It wasn't in a hurry to impress or to be in your face with the action and awesomeness.

I'm not saying there can't be room for the angsty teenage stuff of the DA2 demo, I'm just saying I don't understand why it had to be in the sequel. Why not make it a spin-off or something. They could have taken their time and done a proper sequel - and they'd still be selling a lot of copies. The first one made a very tidy profit - and a strong sequel would have been a sure-fire hit. I can't figure out why they HAD to destroy what they spent 5 years making. Just because of some arbitrary goal of selling 5+ million copies? Well, I'm not gonna help with that.

But that's just me wondering and not being able to understand. I'm not taking it personally, and I don't feel entitled to anything. If Bioware really want to make this kind of game - then that's their choice, and it's my choice whether to support it or not.

It's just something I can't understand - and I have no approach where I can appreciate it. I think it's a mistake all-round, except perhaps in terms of short-term revenue.

Well, I could imagine (and of course this is pure specualtion) that while DA:O sold more copies than ME it could easily have been a worse performer financially - after all they worked on it for 7 years (?) - probably not at full steam all the time, but still that might make for a lot of manhours invested. From a management perspective it might be a no-brainer to slash development costs in half AND probably sell more copies (appeal-to-casuals-include-social-networking-and-all-that).

Well, I could imagine (and of course this is pure specualtion) that while DA:O sold more copies than ME it could easily have been a worse performer financially - after all they worked on it for 7 years (?) - probably not at full steam all the time, but still that might make for a lot of manhours invested. From a management perspective it might be a no-brainer to slash development costs in half AND probably sell more copies (appeal-to-casuals-include-social-networking-and-all-that).

Well, call me an idiot - but wouldn't it make sense to just take what they created with the first game - and expand upon it?

Use the same engine - upgraded where feasible - and then just build from there.

They could have made a very strong sequel in 1-2 years, by working on content - instead of an entirely new design paradigm.

Just add a few classes/options, and then focus on more story and levels - going with the same style as the first game. Tweak and adjust - until the formula was enhanced. Don't just remove stuff entirely - because it's a hassle to improve. That's a horrible design approach.

They did the same weird thing with Mass Effect 2, which I just don't understand. It's like they made an effort to move away from the interesting stuff, and just make it into a streamlined shooter.

Honestly, I don't think they have the imagination required in terms of game design anymore. To me, it seems like the marketing people and the suits are now pretty much in charge - and the artists/designers are just following orders with minimal say.

That's the only way I can make sense of it.

I know DA2 and ME2 makes sense from a business perspective, but it's happening way too fast. They seem oblivious to what made them strong in the past, and if they really think they can churn out sequels with this approach indefinitely, they're going to be severely disappointed in a few games.

There has to be something BEYOND "awesomeness" - and they used to have that.

Maybe it has something to do with SWTOR? Maybe they over-committed and feel they need to abandon the slightest creative daring, so they can ensure money in the bank? I don't know.

But it's most certainly not the Bioware I remember, I don't care what anyone says about their past. You can't go back and re-invent everything to suit your pet theories.

Bioware might have been about the money since their inception, but they certainly went about getting their money in a completely different way. In my mind, their way used to be a deserving one. This new way? Nope, not seeing it.

Awakening was pretty much more Origins, focusing on further content instead of redesign. From what I understand it sold poorly. You have to understand that Origins likely sold on consoles because of the Bioware brand name alone, and the advertisements that made it seem like more of an action game. I don't fault them for being concerned a very similar sequel would sell and review much more poorly on consoles... I would actually agree that it was a serious concern.

In any event Bioware employees have said on their forum that DA2 is the only sequel they could have made. They said very bluntly that a sequel exactly like Origins would not have been green-lit by EA. Thus the goal was to create a sequel that maintained the tactical combat but also was a better console game and a more "exciting" game for action fans. Whether you think they did a good job executing that is, of course, your opinion.

Personally I definitely used tactics in the demo, and that was on normal. When I start playing on hard tomorrow I definitely hope to have a very tactical RPG experience, if somewhat watered down from the original.

Awakening was pretty much more Origins, focusing on further content instead of redesign. From what I understand it sold poorly. You have to understand that Origins likely sold on consoles because of the Bioware brand name alone, and the advertisements that made it seem like more of an action game. I don't fault them for being concerned a very similar sequel would sell and review much more poorly on consoles… I would actually agree that it was a serious concern.

No one was more surprised than I when Bioware actually released a PC-centric game after Jade Empire and Mass Effect.

To this day, I don't understand how suits could green-light the console version as it was.

Personally, I think that comes down to poor planning - and it's never a good idea to do a console version of a sophisticated PC game, if you don't plan for it REALLY well. I'm not sure what went wrong there.

On this very forum, I openly declared my scepticism about the console version - long before its release - and I couldn't believe it would be released in such a state - because it was already very clear to me by then, that Bioware had changed their ways.

However, I don't think the problem was the tactical depth or the mechanics, as much as the default difficulty level and the shoddy console interface. It was clearly not a strong console title - though still better than many I've seen.

Awakening struck me as partially left-over content from the original game - polished up and tweaked as an actual expansion. Still, for what it was - it was fine.

But I'm not surprised if it didn't sell well on the consoles. If you make a crappy console port, you shouldn't expect great sales from semi-DLC like I think Awakenings really was.
In any event Bioware employees have said on their forum that DA2 is the only sequel they could have made. They said very bluntly that a sequel exactly like Origins would not have been green-lit by EA. Thus the goal was to create a sequel that maintained the tactical combat but also was a better console game and a more "exciting" game for action fans. Whether you think they did a good job executing that is, of course, your opinion.

I'm not talking about the actual developers. I'm talking about this thing from the top and down through the company.

The problem is EA and how they think, as well as how Bioware think these days.

Nothing is set in stone unless you want it to be, and obviously EA/Bioware want a certain kind of game now and in the future.

That's what I think is sad.

Based on the demo, I think they did an atrocious job executing the tactical nuances of the first game - but it's hard to say when I don't have the full game available.

Personally I definitely used tactics in the demo, and that was on normal. When I start playing on hard tomorrow I definitely hope to have a very tactical RPG experience, if somewhat watered down from the original.

You seem to be under the impression that my main problem is the new focus on a fast combat system.

It's not, though I do think it was a strange and unnecessary decision.

No, what seems to me like a VERY obvious move towards action-based hack and slash is NOT the primary or only problem.

About tactics and difficulty - you can make Diablo 2 or Dungeon Siege 2 into tactical experiences, if you play them on the hardest setting.

At least, if you want to think of tactical challenge as having to be very careful due to vast amounts of damage from the enemy.

Personally, I think of such things in a different way. To me, tactical fights are about presenting a challenge that requires careful thought and smart play - especially in terms of how to deal with certain enemies - and what abilities would be the best for each corresponding situation.

Tactical fights, to me, are not about having to pause before that extremely fast monster gets to you. That seems to be the kind of challenge DA2 presents, but that's based on the demo.

I don't know about the full game, and presumably neither do you.

My problem with DA2 (as in what I don't personally like about it) - is the move away from a deep and carefully presented story, towards a fast-paced american TV show style presentation.

Then it's the abandoning of character options, especially in terms of allowing me to take my character from the first game - and into the sequel. That was one of the things I really loved about Baldur's Gate - than you could have that character playable throughout the game.

Finally, the game seems to be A LOT shorter than the first game, and it looks like it will take place almost exclusively in a single big city.

So, out the window goes the epic feel of the first game - and we end up with a fast-paced action RPG that won't last long.

Taken by itself, that can be ok - and I'm sure the game will be entertaining.

But, again based on what I've heard, it won't be ANYTHING like I think a proper sequel should have been.

Maybe I'm not easy to please, and maybe I'm in the wrong for not just resigning and enjoying what's available. It's my nature to think of things in terms of potential, and I can't help but analyse the history of gaming and I've developed some very strong preferences for a certain kind of game - and I have very specific ideas about how I think a sequel should be handled.

That's just who I am.

I think it would be helpful if people understood that my opinion, and likely that of most here, is based on relatively careful reflection and not just biased bashing of Bioware. It's not about hating everything they do, no matter how they do it.

It's about recognising a pattern with them, that has been there for a long time - and which is getting worse as we speak. Not talking about that pattern is, of course, a legitimate approach - but it's not what I think is the best one.

This is why I speak against that pattern.

I certainly didn't have to use tactics a single time during the demo. I have no idea how anyone could come away from that demo and consider it a tactical experience - but I can't exactly prove that it's not a cerebral game. If DA2 is 95% of the same experience as DAO, then Invisible War is 95% the same as Deus Ex.

Sure.

If Dragon Age wasn't part of the title, the demo would have been unanimously deemed a hack and slash action RPG, with little or no tactical underpinning.

There would be no argument.

Now, as to whether that would have been a good thing or not, that would depend on personal preferences.

For myself, I enjoy action RPGs when done well. Just like I might enjoy Dragon Age 2 in that way, but I won't be able to get past how they've completed abandoned everything they established in the first game. They spent all that effort establishing the racial origins, and giving away the relatively thorough lore of the world, bit by bit. I really felt immersed in that setting, which came as a surprise to me. I was convinced they'd use that very strong groundwork for many games to come - as anything else would be a complete waste.

This move to the 24 "awesome" TV show style storytelling is almost as different as it could have been. One of the worst examples of a sequel design transition I've ever seen - and I've seen it all.

I've seen two reviews mention they completed it in respectively 12 and 15 hours. Now, I'm sure that could be doubled by careful exploration - but that kind of brevity was totally out of the question for the first game. I think the fastest I've heard anyone do on a first run-through of DA:O was between 30 and 40 hours.

DA:O was a game that truly took its time to establish mood, background, and characters. It wasn't in a hurry to impress or to be in your face with the action and awesomeness.

I'm not saying there can't be room for the angsty teenage stuff of the DA2 demo, I'm just saying I don't understand why it had to be in the sequel. Why not make it a spin-off or something. They could have taken their time and done a proper sequel - and they'd still be selling a lot of copies. The first one made a very tidy profit - and a strong sequel would have been a sure-fire hit. I can't figure out why they HAD to destroy what they spent 5 years making. Just because of some arbitrary goal of selling 5+ million copies? Well, I'm not gonna help with that.

But that's just me wondering and not being able to understand. I'm not taking it personally, and I don't feel entitled to anything. If Bioware really want to make this kind of game - then that's their choice, and it's my choice whether to support it or not.

It's just something I can't understand - and I have no approach where I can appreciate it. I think it's a mistake all-round, except perhaps in terms of short-term revenue.

I just started to like you :) Agree with everything you wrote completely (except that the arbitrary goal I think is 10m copies, not 5m).

dragonage 2 is an epic, dark, mature and tactical rpg.

look guys…i can use buzzwords too..

fuck da haterz.its tactical because it has an inventory and its mature & dark because of ''crazy sex up against the wall'' and exploding orcs.

dragonage 2 is an epic, dark, mature and tactical rpg.

look guys…i can use buzzwords too..

fuck da haterz.its tactical because it has an inventory and its mature & dark because of ''crazy sex up against the wall'' and exploding orcs.

Yes...very moving argument.

Back
Top Bottom