What games are you playing now?

Then if that's the design, it's doing it's job? :D

I think they built on the same idea they initially implemented in GTA 5, where if you swap between the main protagonists you always find them doing whatever it was they were doing before you swapped. Of course, the effect is very likely faked, but it still does a good job of ensuring immersion. And you don't just swap to a character just find him frozen in time until you jump to him.
If it's on purpose, I suppose it could be an explanation. It feels more strange than immersive though, so I'm not sure it's a good design.

For example, I caught a rabbit for dinner, saved before starting my journey to the nearby town, and did something silly when I got there (I killed a guy by mistake - damn controls). When I reloaded, I was still in town, minus the guy and the rabbit.

So I'm not sure what exactly is saved, or even if there's any purpose in saving.

Worse, when this happened, it wasn't even clear whether I earned some bad reputation for killing someone, or if that part was erased. And what about the rabbit (or whatever treasure I may have found instead)? I'm not sure I like a game having a mind of its own. :p

If it's on purpose, I suppose it could be an explanation. It feels more strange than immersive though, so I'm not sure it's a good design.

For example, I caught a rabbit for dinner, saved before starting my journey to the nearby town, and did something silly when I got there (I killed a guy by mistake - damn controls). When I reloaded, I was still in town, minus the guy and the rabbit.

So I'm not sure what exactly is saved, or even if there's any purpose in saving.

Worse, when this happened, it wasn't even clear whether I earned some bad reputation for killing someone, or if that part was erased. And what about the rabbit (or whatever treasure I may have found instead)? I'm not sure I like a game having a mind of its own. :p
Yeah, I had a similar experience. That's when I learned to worrying and love the game. :D

I gave up on this game (RDR2). I really hated the controls, felt like I had very little freedom. Everything felt too scripted.

You guys are making me want to install RDR 2 just to see what the controls are like. I'm curious if they're really that bad.

My only issue with the game so far, since I haven't played it yet, is the ridiculous install size. That's why I've still yet to try it despite buying it last year.

You guys are making me want to install RDR 2 just to see what the controls are like. I'm curious if they're really that bad.

My only issue with the game so far, since I haven't played it yet, is the ridiculous install size. That's why I've still yet to try it despite buying it last year.
It's still -67% on Steam. :)

I'm probably more fussy about controls than average. But even with those little problems, I think that it's worth it for the open world, all there is to do, and the fun in some missions. There are a few silly missions too, but it's all right.

Yeah, the size is ridiculous, and a real pain to download. Fortunately there's little risk of big updates at this point.

I started playing Day of the Tentacle Remastered on the steam deck, and I'm enjoying the experience quite a bit.
It's the perfect type of game to play while laying on my back in bed. The battery drain though, is quite significant for a 2D game that you'd expect to have very little impact. I measured 20 mins of gameplay and it took out 5% of the battery charge.

As for the game itself, it's quirky and laid back. I'm not in love with it yet, but I think it's growing on me. The characters are fun.

...and also @danutz_plusplus quotes on this topic:

I though it was so bad that it became pretty good. In RPGs I normally save everywhere and loot everything, which makes my progress slow and hurts the immersion, but in RDR2 I did not do that because the save system and controls sucked as you wrote. I just played without caring what would happen. Shooting a shop keeper by accident: oh well, misfire happens, just had to live with it and pay the ransom later. Picking a fight with someone because my character stepped on them in a wrong way due to the clumsy controls: ended up beating the guy into pulp, running away and paying ransom later :ROFLMAO: Sometimes certain aspects of a game suck so bad that it turns to a positive. In RDR2, the bad save system increased my immersion. I did not stop looting much because I'd probably just loose the loot later. A bit similar to Kingdom Come where the forced save system annoyed me but improved the immersion. I did not mod it away because of that.

...and also @danutz_plusplus quotes on this topic:

I though it was so bad that it became pretty good. In RPGs I normally save everywhere and loot everything, which makes my progress slow and hurts the immersion, but in RDR2 I did not do that because the save system and controls sucked as you wrote. I just played without caring what would happen. Shooting a shop keeper by accident: oh well, misfire happens, just had to live with it and pay the ransom later. Picking a fight with someone because my character stepped on them in a wrong way due to the clumsy controls: ended up beating the guy into pulp, running away and paying ransom later :ROFLMAO: Sometimes certain aspects of a game suck so bad that it turns to a positive. In RDR2, the bad save system increased my immersion. I did not stop looting much because I'd probably just loose the loot later. A bit similar to Kingdom Come where the forced save system annoyed me but improved the immersion. I did not mod it away because of that.
Not sure what you meant by mentioning me and that quote. Are you saying I said that in the past? Or said something similar?

Not sure what you meant by mentioning me and that quote. Are you saying I said that in the past? Or said something similar?
You were discussing about this with @Redglyph. I have learned that quoting people is polite ;) Like mentioning a person's name in a real world discussion.

You were discussing about this with @Redglyph. I have learned that quoting people is polite ;) Like mentioning a person's name in a real world discussion.
Oh, ok. No worries. It's just that the way you wrote it gave the impression, to me at least, that what you wrote after the " ... quotes on this topic:" was supposed to be quoting me.

I though it was so bad that it became pretty good. In RPGs I normally save everywhere and loot everything, which makes my progress slow and hurts the immersion
I tend to do the same. I also use the save system to understand how the the game works and its limits, by trying different things. But here, since loading a saved game is nothing else than transporting the character somewhere nearby, it's not really possible. Well, as you said, it's easy not to care too much about the consequences. :D

I love the journal! It's hand-written and the guy is drawing some stuff here and there, sometimes a sketch of some random animal, or a place.

There are plenty of hilarious situations too. For example, when I was riding at night, I saw a bunch of KKK guys doing an initiation rite not too far from the road. I crept up on on them to spy what they were doing, when they set a big cross on fire, laughing. Then sure enough, a couple of them caught fire and died on the spot while the rest ran away screaming. In general the people in the game don't seem very bright.

Maybe that KKK thing was intentional though? Sounds like Rockstar type of sarcasm/black humor.

Yup, I loved those moments too. As I wrote in my "review", no other studio can match Rockstar purely from storytelling perspective (in my opinion). Not even CDPR. In many ways I wish RDR2 was a better game, but I am still happy that I got to enjoy it because it's a great game anyway.

EDIT: I have not played Last of Us which is supposedly superb when it comes to storytelling. I hate exclusiveness.

Since I heard some good things about Power Wash Simulator, how it's a meditative game, I wanted to give it a try.
Well, in ultrawide resolutions it gives me serious motion sickness. And I'm usually very resistant to it. VR games don't give me motion sickness. But this game seems to have a broken FOV or something, where the more I increase the FOV the more tunnel-vision I seem to get. Anyway, I refunded it.
I think I would've refunded it anyway, even if it didn't have the FOV issue. After completing the first level I just felt like I wasted my time.

Back
Top Bottom