Witcher 3 Complaints..had to be some.

The Witcher 3
Explain to me again? You think that Geralt isn't a common thief but you make him nick stuff and then complain that he isn't being shouted on/punished for that? O_O :lol:

In Skyrim - if you nick stuff and some one is watching then you get nabbed by the guards. That is a much better mechanic.

One way to view good game design is that it is the Devs versus the players - we as players try to do everything in our power to max out our characters, whereas it is the devs responsibility to stop us from out levelling the content or engaging in cheesy activities to obtain too much loot. When you play a game or sport: tennis, tiddlywinks, chess or whatever, you try and win within the context of the rules - the same applies or at least should apply to CRPGs :).

Game designs should not be full of exploitable holes or reward you for behaving like thieving lieing scum.

In Skyrim - if you nick stuff and some one is watching then you get nabbed by the guards. That is a much better mechanic.

Yes, because it's much more realistic when guards appear out of thin air within seconds. :)

Yes, because it's much more realistic when guards appear out of thin air within seconds. :)

But, you now are just arguing with the implementation of the mechanic, not the mechanic itself. And actually it's not so bad in Skrim, because as a player you know you are going to get nabbed so you don't steal in the first place - or you choose to go down that path and join the Thieve's Guild.

And I'm not holding up Skyrim as a model of good RPG design, there are some very silly quests in Skyrim a whole bunch of which are completely at odds with the player's supposed role as the Dragborn saviour of Skyrim. Bethesda really need to pull their finger out, when it comes to fitting their story, quests and itemisation into the amazing open world they designed for Skyrim.

I'm not arguing about anything, I'm simply pointing something out. You like the way they do it in TES, and that's ok. As long as you realize it's completely subjective as to which way is "better".

I don't have a problem with the way Bethesda handles thieving except that it's quite buggy in their games. You often get accused of stealing even if you weren't in anyone's line of sight when you did it.

I'm not arguing about anything, I'm simply pointing something out. You like the way they do it in TES, and that's ok. As long as you realize it's completely subjective as to which way is "better".

I don't have a problem with the way Bethesda handles thieving except that it's quite buggy in their games. You often get accused of stealing even if you weren't in anyone's line of sight when you did it.

1) you *are* arguing about something - quite what I'm not too sure. 2) No it isn't completely subjective - in reality honourable people just don't go around filching stuff from people too poor to defend themselves. And the mechanism in Skyrim is a common way of avoiding this kind of cheesy gameplay.

1) you *are* arguing about something - quite what I'm not too sure. 2) No it isn't completely subjective - in reality honourable people just don't go around filching stuff from people too poor to defend themselves. And the mechanism in Skyrim is a common way of avoiding this kind of cheesy gameplay.

Yeah.. in reality, and in reality this is an RPG where people are free to roleplay however they want.

You seem to be under the delusion that one way is better because that's what you prefer.

Yeah.. in reality, and in reality this is an RPG where people are free to roleplay how they want.

You seem to be under the delusion that one way is better because that's what you prefer.

No - that isn't correct. If you don't loot the peasants house, you lose out compared to someone who does. Besides in Witcher you are not role playing a character of your own devising, you are playing Geralt Of Rivia.

Come on admit it - it isn't a very good game mechanic, which is why most decent games don't allow it. It's a small blotch on an otherwise great game - but it is a blotch.

When the Mod Kit comes along someone will probably mod it out - might even do it myself.

Besides in Witcher you are not role playing a character of your own devising, you are playing Geralt Of Rivia.

You're stepping into Geralt's shoes yes, but there's no "right" way to play him. People are still going to roleplay in a manner that fits their individual beliefs and personality.

it isn't a very good game mechanic, which is why most decent games don't allow it.

There's that delusion creeping in again. ;)

Most games do allow it. It's far more common to be able to just take anything (which doesn't even describe TW3) than it is to have an active guard system in place. Look at every Bioware game since Baldur's Gate for instance.

I think a lore-friendly, strong roleplaying solution would have been for a simple dialogue option that pops up when householders observe theft, "We are a poor family, Witcher." To which you can reply, "You're right, I'm sorry", or "Shut up, I'm a Witcher."

Last edited:
Why not simply avoid nicking stuff from peasants?

They could have done a better job with those theft reactions, I agree. Also, the repetitive nature of NPC chatter is just as bad as it was in Witcher 2. I don't understand why they don't include a few states to check when you last heard something. At least implement moments of silence.

Anyway, minor issues in a brilliant game.

I don't know if I'm imagining things, but did the 1.04 patch reduce FPS for anyone else? I seem to have lost ~10% performance - with or without Hairworks.

Why not simply avoid nicking stuff from peasants?

Because stuff is important in the game - and the concept of being a thief is ruined when you can just take it and people don't seem to mind.

I'm the sort of player who would actually stop taking things if the NPCs reacted and told me they couldn't make it without their possessions.

I don't see anything good from the game not reacting to it.

If you could win every fight by left-clicking on the enemy, I bet someone would argue "why don't you just NOT fight, then?"

Stupid argument, really.

Loot everything!
This is RPG, you're supposed to loot barrels and find all illogical stuff in them! :D
Wel, I think it is about time to evolve the genre and get rid of these stupid trope gameplay mechanics.

One thing I do really dislike is that they allow you to go into the homes of every villager and remove everything that isn't nailed down, even if the family is at home - you can snuck stuff from under their noses and they don't bat an eyelash.

And besides having to go into every house and painstakingly sort through the peasants belongings does not add to gameplay in the slightest.

IMO most RPGS would be much better with 1/4 the amount of loot (make that a 1/10 for skyrim! :)).
I agree 100%.

It makes sense to be able to loot/steal specific items at specific occasions but this kleptomaniac style looting of appels, potatoes, spoons, shoes, shirts, hats, dishes, rusty knives, broken chair legs, table cloths, hour glasses, candles, hair pins, fire wood, dog bowls, salt shakers, etc. is just ridiculous.

P.S.

I am talking in a general sense as I haven't started TW3 yet.

Does it seem to revert to windowed full screen mode randomly for any of you? I've changed it to full screen a couple times. Don't have to do it every time I start though, just sometimes which is weird.

Does it seem to revert to windowed full screen mode randomly for any of you? I've changed it to full screen a couple times. Don't have to do it every time I start though, just sometimes which is weird.

Yeah, I experienced that a few times but not lately. It hasn't happened to me since the last patch or maybe since 1.03

I also haven't noticed any downgrade in terms of framerate, but I haven't used FRAPS since originally tweaking the game so I can't say for sure. If there has been any loss of performance, it was insignificant in my case.

I also turned Hairworks on (for Geralt only) after the last patch without any noticeable loss of performance.

My main beef with the game is the constant crashing I'm experiencing. On average I'd say it's at least once per hour, where it either crashes to desktop or just plain freezes (black screen, requires a reboot). Infuriating. It seems to mainly be NVidia related (checked the Windows event log), though it's hard to pinpoint why exactly (I have the latest drivers and a GTX 980).

Very strange and very annoying.

I've had only one crash in my ~30 hours of playtime and I have the latest drivers and an Nvidia 780 TI.

My main beef with the game is the constant crashing I'm experiencing. On average I'd say it's at least once per hour, where it either crashes to desktop or just plain freezes (black screen, requires a reboot). Infuriating. It seems to mainly be NVidia related (checked the Windows event log), though it's hard to pinpoint why exactly (I have the latest drivers and a GTX 980).

Very strange and very annoying.

I'm nearing 44 hours of gametime, and I've had exactly 4 crashes so far. On a 980 Gtx with the latest nVidia drivers. (windows always notifies that the video drivers failed, and needed to be reset, I'm not sure if that says anything relevant).

Do you tend to play huge playsessions in one run, without restarting the game? Because I have a tendency to play about 2-3 hours, then leave the game, post on the forums, then get back into it. And I always close and restart the game. Maybe it hits some sort of an overflow and then it crashes.

Mine never crashes directly to desktop, it behaves like the computer just freezes, and I hit ctrl-alt-del, alt-tab a couple of times, and Windows seems to recover, and gives me the opportunity to stop the process from task manager.

I've only had 2 crashes so far, and there was no freezing or error messages of any kind. It just suddenly went back to the desktop as if I had exited out of the game.

That's out of 59 hours according to Steam, although a significant portion of that time is from me leaving the game running while I was doing other things.

Believe it or not, I'm still only on level 9. :)

Oh, and I also played up to Vizima twice before starting this playthough.

Back
Top Bottom