D&D Online Unlimited

Well, I finally broke down and installed it. Surprisingly, it runs very well, save for the BSOD. Hopefully, I don't have to redo that last adventure from scratch; I might drop it if I do.

I'm having more fun than I ever did in Shaiya, which isn't hard. Though I was surprised at how long it takes to level. In PnP 3.x, it's 1000exp to reach 2nd level. I got notice that I could train to 2nd at 6k experience. I started as a Cleric, though if I lost my progress last night, I'll probably delete that character and start anew with a Fighter.

*edit*

I'm starting to dislike this game...

My router went down briefly tonight, which is all well and good... I reset it with no other issues. Except that I was playing DDO, and when I went ci it kicked me; and knocked out my audio completely. I've uninstalled and reinstalled my audio drivers three times without fixing it. Right now I'm downloading a fresh copy from Realtek's website.

It's such a drain on system resources after i shut it down that it's aggravating. Now it takes out my sound? I'm about to drop it until/if the client becomes slightly less buggy than Windows Vista.

Last edited:
Thus far, it's knocked out my sound three times. I found that that only needs a reboot to repair, thankfully. It also deletes .dll files randomly; which has knocked out Roxio (I use it to watch DVDs as well as burn CDs). My system also has me picking my username when loading; when I only have one, and never had to prior to installing DDO.

For now, I'm putting this on my avoid list. The DDO client is little better than a virus. I doubt it's malicious intent, just incredible incompetence. Same problems though.

I have had none of those issues. I doubt it's DDO. I notice you mention Roxio. I had that on my laptop for a (VERY) short time and it caused me endless problems and conflicts with other software. Perhaps that might be where the problem lies, rather than DDO.

I have never had an issue with Roxio before. It's version 7.5, which has been out since time immemmorial (ok, since 2006 or so). It's also how I watch DVDs. However, nothing, including Shaiya, Perfect World, and a couple other F2P MMOs that weren't worth remembering (those weren't either, but they were the last two) have no issues. Other than not being worth playing.

I think it's with the .Net architecture. At least that's where the post in the regular DDO forums points to. I never had THAT on my computer before, so there in may lie the problem.

The problem with Roxio is that a dll file was deleted. msvcr71 went AWOL. I now have a backup copy of that .dll, and can just manually install it whenever DDO decides to remove it.

I should let people know that there is an RPG Watch Guild on the Khyber server which is open to any and all registered members of this site. Let me know when you'll be playing and I'll try to get there and add you in.

I should let people know that there is an RPG Watch Guild on the Khyber server which is open to any and all registered members of this site. Let me know when you'll be playing and I'll try to get there and add you in.

I just finished downloading Dungeons and Dragons online today and only have logged about 2 hours of play, but I haven't played a MMORPG in a while, and this looks pretty good. My name is 'Aravaile' and I'm on the Khyber server. I'm still learning the game and won't be of any use to the guild RPGwatch has set up until I figure out what's going on, but I'd be interested in joining the group.

OK, 2 choices. Initially I'd strongly suggest you start with a level 1 character and play through all the early stuff. You learn the game and get some decent gear, etc. Then, buy the Vet build option which allows you to start your new chars at level 4. (That applies to all servers too, and because you 'buy' something you get 2 additional char slots on each server as well). Many of us are online regularly and if you see someone with RPG Watch floating over their head, introduce yourself and join the guild. Then you'll be able to see whenever any member is online. Our guild is growing.

OK, 2 choices. Initially I'd strongly suggest you start with a level 1 character and play through all the early stuff. You learn the game and get some decent gear, etc. Then, buy the Vet build option which allows you to start your new chars at level 4. (That applies to all servers too, and because you 'buy' something you get 2 additional char slots on each server as well). Many of us are online regularly and if you see someone with RPG Watch floating over their head, introduce yourself and join the guild. Then you'll be able to see whenever any member is online. Our guild is growing.

I'm a 'completist' to the the point where it's silly, and I'm trying to finish the Korthos Island area. I'm having a heck of a time with completing some of the quests, especially the 'rare encounter' quest where you have to find 3 unique events. It's driving me bonkers because something tells me once I leave for Stormreach, I won't be able to get back here. Also, there are a few doors and a chest in the Heyton's Rest area that I can't figure out how to get into. I'm solo'ing right now so maybe I need the help of some other characters' specialties. In any case, I like this game so far. Leveling is kind of slow, but there's plenty to do.

You can go back to Korthos anytime. I've completed the rares with most of my chars. I haven't gone past 400 slayers with any though. :) Some doors can only be opened by a rogue, or a wiz with the knock spell. I can now complete ALL of Korthos other than Misery Peak in less than 2 hours. Probably have to add at least another 30 mins+ though for Misery!!

I'm a 'completist' to the the point where it's silly, and I'm trying to finish the Korthos Island area. I'm having a heck of a time with completing some of the quests, especially the 'rare encounter' quest where you have to find 3 unique events. It's driving me bonkers because something tells me once I leave for Stormreach, I won't be able to get back here. Also, there are a few doors and a chest in the Heyton's Rest area that I can't figure out how to get into. I'm solo'ing right now so maybe I need the help of some other characters' specialties. In any case, I like this game so far. Leveling is kind of slow, but there's plenty to do.
We're in exactly the same boat. Did you notice the door in the dungeon with the 3 crystals--the door where you have to climb up the stack of boxes to reach the ladder, only to discover a blue barrier half way up the ladder? That chest in Heyton's drove me nuts, too. I've got a few explorer goals left to hit and a couple rares to find before I can move on.

We're in exactly the same boat. Did you notice the door in the dungeon with the 3 crystals—the door where you have to climb up the stack of boxes to reach the ladder, only to discover a blue barrier half way up the ladder? That chest in Heyton's drove me nuts, too. I've got a few explorer goals left to hit and a couple rares to find before I can move on.

Do you want to REALLY want to drive yourself bonkers? Check out the unopened door on the ceiling in Heyton's refuge. Stand underneath the chest that gives treasure and look up. There's a door that I cant open with my pally, and it is driving me nuts. What makes it more mind boggling, is it has those 'pipes' that need to be 'powered' that lead back the way you came in. Just look at the ceiling.

What gets me is that you see all this stuff and you beat your head on the wall trying to figure it out, knowing all the time that there's a chance it's a rogue-only (in the non-surprise of the year, I'm playing a barbarian mauler) or simply non-functional graphics. I retraced the entire Heyton dungeon looking for a key or a switch to get to that chest. Time and frustration, buddy. Such is the burden we complete-ists bear.

There are some things left in from cut portions of the dungeon. The pipe leading up in Redemtion with the barrier is one of them (probably the same for the door in the other part, it probably was a second way in).

There originally were more rares in Korthos, from what I heard, as well. Why existing content was cut is beyond me; I understand incomplete stuff being given the cutting room floor treatment. Though IMO if they have the dungeon area finished already, they should go back and add in some of the stuff they cut, just to see if anyone notices it.

Hope you are both on Khyber!! :) One thing I have discovered is that in some dungeons (none on Korthos) rares can appear in more than one location.

Dte, I'm shocked!! :p I was sure you'd create a squishy little caster!! lol :)

Hope you are both on Khyber!! :) One thing I have discovered is that in some dungeons (none on Korthos) rares can appear in more than one location.

Dte, I'm shocked!! :p I was sure you'd create a squishy little caster!! lol :)

I'm on the Khyber server. I'm about to leave Korthos now. I'm leaving as a level 3 Paladin warrior type. I only was able to find 1 of 3 'rare encounters' even though I scoured that place to death. Also I was never able to find out how to get to that bastard chest stuck behind the bars. I'm losing sleep over it, but I'll be ok, lol.

I made it to 'Slayer' with 400 kills.

I'm off to greener pastures because I know I have done all the quests and probably have the best gear this area has to offer.

I haven't really grouped yet, so my next step is to learn the 'social' aspect of the game. If somebody has a list of emotes and commands for talking to other people that could be printed, or if you know where I can find one, I'd be much obliged.

Pretty cool game so far, IMO.

I can tell you where each of the rares are to be found on Korthos. I only play with fellow Watch members, so I'm not the one to discuss stuff like emotes which I rarely use. I'll stick with chatting over Skype!! :)

I can tell you where each of the rares are to be found on Korthos. I only play with fellow Watch members, so I'm not the one to discuss stuff like emotes which I rarely use. I'll stick with chatting over Skype!! :)

I found the one 'special area' near the large hollowed out tree with the health and resurrection stones inside. It was up on top of a bunch of rocks. The other two eluded me for hours and I finally gave up.

I found the one 'special area' near the large hollowed out tree with the health and resurrection stones inside. It was up on top of a bunch of rocks. The other two eluded me for hours and I finally gave up.
I went to Stormreach last night after finally getting my last explorer spot, leaving the last 2 rares as the only hole in my quest log. I might have to go back now. I ran all around that tree, and I didn't get any rares. *much muttering*
Work your way up the frozen river for the rare I found.

I went to Stormreach last night after finally getting my last explorer spot, leaving the last 2 rares as the only hole in my quest log. I might have to go back now. I ran all around that tree, and I didn't get any rares. *much muttering*
Work your way up the frozen river for the rare I found.

Minor Spoiler:

Stand in front of that hollowed out tree and explore to the right of that spot. Look up and to the right on the other side of the water.

That overlook? I went there for an explorer spot. Twernt no rare up there. Now I'm really gonna have to go back and check it out. *more muttering*

Back
Top Bottom