Divinity: Original Sin II - Reviews

I'm not saying that it isn't a great game azarhal but I think that, like a wine, it will be even better when matured :)

Yes, it's one of the best RPGs of all time. And I've been playing RPGs since almost 30 years ago.

I'm enjoying it immensely. Its everything what DOS 1 was, but so much better and much more refined in every sense. They have also improved the story telling and writing tenfold. Sure there may be bugs left, but just stop for a moment and look at how much FREEDOM Larian has given us to solve quests. Its almost unthinkable at this day and age. Imagine the hurdles they must have gone though to make sure that the game lets always player go wild without breaking his game. If one claims to be a rpg gamer and doesn't see what Larian has achieved…

I personally find it average to good for the most part. It depends on what you like. For instance, turn-based combat is slow and boring to me. Walking speeds of a crippled snail bores me, cameras that you have to turn manually bore me, etc. However, with all of those negatives, I still like the game but I'm not enamored of it. Manually looking for loot chests instead of them highlighting with the alt key also bores me. Forgot that one.

To make this game perfect for me, would ruin it for others. I'll play it, for a while at least, warts and all.

I'm still in chapter 1 exploring the swamp. I'm liking most everything so far - characters, environment, exploration, mechanics, and the voice acting is pretty good. The game has a few issues with quests not getting marked completed but nothing game breaking so far. I've discovered quite a few ways into the swamp now and the reactivity is very impressive.

Those are valid criticisms Crpgnut. Larian will likely patch controls at some point since they have been criticised for it here and there. Ofcourse we each have our preferences as well. Turn based combat is not as important for me as it is for few others here, but I think Larian has designed the combat system really well and I'm enjoying the combat a lot. What I really adore, is all possibilities to build all kinds of character builds and exploring the vibrant gameworld in addition to the non linear quest structure I mentioned. And the companions are just awesome. :)

I like your first two adorations quite a bit. The companions are okay, but I'm mostly a single-player/single-character game lover. I like it well enough. I beta-tested DOS1 and put over 200 hours in just Cyseal, so it's not like I can't stand the series :D

I'm playing Fane as an archer and will add the others when absolutely needed and leave them behind the rest of the time.

I was hoping this would be the one where they knocked it out of the park, but many reliable voices are tempering expectations somewhat, even if the press seems ecstatic.

Basically, if you are in turn based combats, lot of contents, very flexible and open and keyboard/mouse you will like/love it. They really pushed the turn based combat to its limits with the environment interactions. It is also better written than the first.

Now, if, like some people, you prefer Real time or RTwP, more focused places, to have a single guy instead of a party and/or you prefer to have a controller to take strange positions on a couch instead of playing like a civilized guy on a desk ( ;) ) you will found a thousand bothers, from the camera to the inventory, to whatever.

Frankly, the people loving the game spend more time in the fighting or the exploration parts than in the inventory. The camera is easy to master if it does not bother you. Now, if you do not like it, you will apparently not like it a lot :)

I'm really enjoying it. It is the best turn based fantasy RPG with the Black Isle play style to come out in some time. Unless a bug is game breaking, I don't think people can really complain about bugs these days. I'm sure they will be patched in the coming days anyways..

30 hours in and for me it's exactly what I wanted: DOS1 only better! And the better parts really help, such as improved characters and story, wonderful (and complete) voice acting and some very interesting racial differences that really help flesh out the world. It does have a few bugs here and there (a friend had some graphical glitches with his AMD card in co-op), so might make sense to wait for a few more patches, but I personally have found the game quite bug-free so far.

I'm a big fan of good turn-based combat. While I'm not that far in yet, the game initially strikes me as a modern classic. And, yes, I'm largely sick of action RPGs, so there's a clue where my perspective comes from.

OSII beats the living hell out of Pillars of Eternity, though I suppose that's RTwP. Also, I played it early, before the expansions and the many, many patches. I understand it has improved but haven't played it lately, though I mean to. I only played Wasteland 2 when it first came out and found the combat to be lackluster and got distracted by other games. I understand it has improved since then, but I haven't tried it again. OSII beats the living hell out of the Shadowrun games.

Wasteland 2 and Shadowrun games both had thoroughly mediocre turn-based combat. Only "good" turn-based combat in an RPG recently that I can think of is D:OS and AoD/Dungeon Rats. (Note: haven't played Underrail, waiting for its expansion - perhaps it belongs on the list but I wouldn't know.) Given that D:OS and D:OS2 are making Larian filthy rich, and AoD/DR sold way more than would have been expected too, given their budgetary limitations and niche orientation, it really should clue in more devs as to what a large number of people are hungry for.

edit: M&M X had fun turn-based combat too, but not sure I'd really count it, blobbers are a different scene.

I also haven't given Underrail a proper go yet and am waiting for the same reason as you. I liked the combat in AoD a lot, probably more than most people. I have to give the nod to OSII. The environmental business is a constant factor, but it also adds quite a few more things to think about. You have to adapt to overcome, and the AI is pretty good. The big fights can just get crazy, and it's a ton of fun. There's also freedom in the fights -- large open areas. When I've lost a fight and replayed with different tactics, it has felt like a completely different fight, which is nice.

Well IMO, turn-based combat is best when you've got a party, and for that reason I think AoD/Underrail can't really compete with D:OS/D:OS2. Dungeon Rats was fantastic, though.

Now in part 2 (driftwood) - wandered about a little, but somewhat dangerous - I'm level 9 and most encounters seems to be level 12 (playing on classic)). Wil need to find some more places to level up. As for bugs, some quest issues (as noted by others) but had my last big boss fight in Chapter I lock up when I'd almost won the combat. I was quite agitated since that had taken a good 30+ minutes. Fortunately saving and reloading allowed me to get back (losing my precious turn in the process). I had the same bug in D:OS1. I still find the level of spell/surface interactions excessive - they should have more spells that affect a person, not splash onto the ground (and cause unexpected consequences).

I agree with Maylander that there is way too much dependency on gear armour (magic/physical) now - it seems most combat is decided by who can get through it first. On the one hand it is welcome in that it stops surfaces/spells/attacks etc from affecting you immediately, but it is quickly gone if you're being hammered on by stronger opponents and not easy to get back without the right potions or skills. Still enjoying it on the whole despite little niggles.

Trying to hold out for a few patches but you guys are making it hard. I never finished D:OS but it seems like this one has improved the parts I did not enjoy in the first.

Now in part 2 (driftwood) - wandered about a little, but somewhat dangerous - I'm level 9 and most encounters seems to be level 12 (playing on classic)). Wil need to find some more places to level up.

Go west of the town, there are level 10 encounters that way (and a bunch of quest send you that way too). Also, there are quite a few quests in the town itself.

Back
Top Bottom