Witcher 3 Downgraded visuals?

The Witcher 3
we will most probably be able to tweak some of the shaders as well, but hardly to the degree that it looks like in the above animated gif..

Perhaps not at release, but I'll be surprised if CDP doesn't release some kind of ultra hi-def patch for PC users in the future.

Right now I think they're too worried about the console players crying foul after CDP promised that all versions would be the same.

Perhaps not at release, but I'll be surprised if CDP doesn't release some kind of ultra hi-def patch for PC users in the future.

Right now I think they're too worried about the console players crying foul after CDP promised that all versions would be the same.

This makes sense. If they have to piss off one side it will not be the console market.

At least they have a good record of listening to feedback and making changes. The free upgrade to enhanced edition of W2 was a good effort.

For a true PC high-end game, we'll probably have to wait for Star Citizen - when it finally gets released :)

I hope that if this is true, and I'll be upset if they did this, that at least they'll be able to revert to those graphic settings post-release, in the very probable enhanced edition. It would be great if they did. I hope they don't drop the support post-DLC-release and post expansion release.
This is what I am expecting from them as well. And one day when I got a new monster PC, I will buy this TW3 EE on sale and enjoy it fully :)

I guess I'll wait for an enhanced edition or maybe modders can restore some of the visuals.

Restore the old rendering engine? Not very likely. Modding can only do so much to upgrade visuals, obviously it could be possible to get higher poly models, but it's not really where it's gone bad here..

2504401-6535952199-ip9VU.gif

cWf3DID.png

:(

What really sucks is that we have a new generation of consoles, i had such high hopes that this would really bring us to the next level of graphics, instead we get games on pair with Skyrim (well maybe slightly modded).

I'm certain PC will have longer view distance and AA.. we will most probably be able to tweak some of the shaders as well, but hardly to the degree that it looks like in the above animated gif..

I don't know about AA but it's already been said that draw distances are the same across all platforms.

Last edited:
@ Lemonhead: Yes, but i don't think they've said when.. it took quite a while for TW2 Editor.

@ sakichop

i took a look at the config files.. here's rendering.ini:
Code:
[PostProcess]
AllowBloom=true
AllowShafts=false
AllowAntialias=false
AllowMSAA=false
AllowBlur=true
AllowDOF=false
AllowVignette=true
AllowSharpen=false
AllowRain=true
AllowSSAO=true
AllowMotionBlur=false
AllowCutsceneDOF=true
AllowBillboards=true
AllowSoftLight=true
AllowFog=true
AllowUnderwater=true
AllowChromaticAberration=false
[Rendering]
MaxTextureSize=2048
MaxAtlasTextureSize=2048
MaxCubeShadowSize=512
MaxSpotShadowSize=512
TextureDownscale=0
DetailTextureDownscale=0
AtlasTextureDownscale=0
TextureMemoryBudget=500
TextureMemoryGUIBudget=80
TextureTimeBudget=10
TextureInFlightBudget=128	
DecalsChance=1.0f
DecalsSpawnDistanceCutoff=10.0f
TextureStreamingDistanceLimit=40000.f
TextureStreamingCharacterDistanceLimit=50.f
TextureStreamingHeadsDistanceLimit=10.f
TextureStreamingReduceGameplayLOD=true
UberSampling=0
TextureMipBias=0
MsaaLevel=0
DynamicDecalsLimit=30
MeshRenderingDistanceScale=1.0f
MeshLODDistanceScale=1.0f
TerrainScreenSpaceErrorThreshold=2.0f
TerrainErrorMetricMultiplier=10
ForceInstantAdaptation=false
ForceInstantEnvProbeUpdate=false
EnableTemporalAA=true
CascadeShadowFadeTreshold=1.0f
CascadeShadowmapSize=1024
CascadeShadowQuality=0
MaxCascadeCount=4
MaxTerrainShadowAtlasCount=3
GlobalOceanTesselationFactor=10
UseHairWorks=false
HairWorksAALevel=8
TerrainReadAheadDistance=200.0f
ForcedDebugPreviewIndex=-1
[TextureStreaming]
MaxResidentMipMap=6
[LevelOfDetail]
MeshLodGameplayDownscale=0
CharacterLodGameplayDownscale=0
DecalsHideDistance=30
StripeHideDistance=60
SwarmHideDistance=200
DimmerHideDistance=60
[Budget]
DecalBudget=100

So there's quite a lot that can be tweaked actually, including view distance it seems (TerrainReadAheadDistance).

Last edited:
It seems an employee of CD Projekt RED has leaked why the game has been downgraded. Don't know if this is true so take it with a grain of salt.:(

Heh, makes perfect sense. Though, I don't see why they just don't come out and admit it? Sure, they might get bashed by some, but I think the majority would be appreciative of the issue, no? I know I would be, if I had to choose between them having to maintain 3 builds (and having better visuals), or a better game (with lesser visuals).

I hope that if this is true, and I'll be upset if they did this, that at least they'll be able to revert to those graphic settings post-release, in the very probable enhanced edition. It would be great if they did. I hope they don't drop the support post-DLC-release and post expansion release.

I can kind of understand them dropping the extra attention they would have liked to give to the PC version, since they say they were hoping the next-gen consoles would have been stronger in hardware. But I can't help to think that was a very stupid thing to go on, thinking/wishing next gen console will be able to handle those specs, which at the time were of a high-end PC rig. Something feels a bit off in all of this.

I hope the same thing, maybe they will "re-enable" this stuff on PC in the EE. We can only hope.

For me personally, I can see the difference when the screens are next to each other (obviously), but I won't bother me in-game at all (where I can't see such comparison). :)
The visuals are acceptable, at this point I'm more interested in gameplay. :)

... - but it doesn't ring true that the PC version won't have more features and higher resolution assets. It takes no work at all NOT to downgrade assets, which would have been created at the highest possible level of detail. At the very least, I expect better AA and better draw distances. It would simply make no sense not to have those.

CDProjekt pretty much said exactly that already in January this year. I posted this a few pages back, but it bears repeating:
http://www.gamepressure.com/e.asp?ID=51

CDProjekt make it pretty clear in that interview that console-level graphics will be as it good as it gets on the PC, save for better frame rate, a higher resolution and hairworks apparently.

CDProjekt pretty much said exactly that already in January this year. I posted this a few pages back, but it bears repeating:

If you read more thoroughly, they're talking about loading lower quality models on platforms with less memory and so on.

Unlike the rest of the Internet, I don't like to judge developers or games before I've actually played the thing.

I admit these rumors and this potentially real developer interview has me worried, but I'm not ready to call the whole thing a hoax just yet.

Personally, I'm more worried about the few bits and pieces of information I've been unable to dodge, regarding the character system being weak and the combat being less than ideal.

In terms of the visuals, I didn't expect a true PC-exclusive thing - but I'll be very disappointed if they don't take proper advantage of my hardware.

I've deliberately avoided following the hype and the interviews, so it's only now I realise they've been overtly promising a game that looks better than the marketing material.

So, they're in for a shitstorm if the PC version doesn't look absolutely fantastic - and I'll have to put them in the hall of shame.

I can deal with normal publisher bullshit, but I have zero tolerance for blatant lies and deceitful statements from the actual developers.

@ Lemonhead: Yes, but i don't think they've said when.. it took quite a while for TW2 Editor.

@ sakichop

Code:
[PostProcess]
AllowBloom=true
AllowShafts=false
AllowAntialias=false
AllowMSAA=false
AllowBlur=true
AllowDOF=false
AllowVignette=true
AllowSharpen=false
AllowRain=true
AllowSSAO=true
AllowMotionBlur=false
AllowCutsceneDOF=true
AllowBillboards=true
AllowSoftLight=true
AllowFog=true
AllowUnderwater=true
AllowChromaticAberration=false
[Rendering]
MaxTextureSize=2048
MaxAtlasTextureSize=2048
MaxCubeShadowSize=512
MaxSpotShadowSize=512
TextureDownscale=0
DetailTextureDownscale=0
AtlasTextureDownscale=0
TextureMemoryBudget=500
TextureMemoryGUIBudget=80
TextureTimeBudget=10
TextureInFlightBudget=128	
DecalsChance=1.0f
DecalsSpawnDistanceCutoff=10.0f
TextureStreamingDistanceLimit=40000.f
TextureStreamingCharacterDistanceLimit=50.f
TextureStreamingHeadsDistanceLimit=10.f
TextureStreamingReduceGameplayLOD=true
UberSampling=0
TextureMipBias=0
MsaaLevel=0
DynamicDecalsLimit=30
MeshRenderingDistanceScale=1.0f
MeshLODDistanceScale=1.0f
TerrainScreenSpaceErrorThreshold=2.0f
TerrainErrorMetricMultiplier=10
ForceInstantAdaptation=false
ForceInstantEnvProbeUpdate=false
EnableTemporalAA=true
CascadeShadowFadeTreshold=1.0f
CascadeShadowmapSize=1024
CascadeShadowQuality=0
MaxCascadeCount=4
MaxTerrainShadowAtlasCount=3
GlobalOceanTesselationFactor=10
UseHairWorks=false
HairWorksAALevel=8
TerrainReadAheadDistance=200.0f
ForcedDebugPreviewIndex=-1
[TextureStreaming]
MaxResidentMipMap=6
[LevelOfDetail]
MeshLodGameplayDownscale=0
CharacterLodGameplayDownscale=0
DecalsHideDistance=30
StripeHideDistance=60
SwarmHideDistance=200
DimmerHideDistance=60
[Budget]
DecalBudget=100

So there's quite a lot that can be tweaked actually, including view distance it seems (TerrainReadAheadDistance).

Where did you find that ?

hairworks
That works for me.
Most of other visual things will probably be possible to mess with inside game options.
I just hope that motion blur on PC is disabled by default.

If it looks as good as Skyrim, I'm set. I thought that game looked great, even vanilla. Hopefully, there will some mod capability, which is the primary thing that makes Skyrim head and shoulders above the competition. If so, then vurt will fix the ugly plants perhaps :)

Good find. Thanks. Did you unpack the preload archives?

If it looks as good as Skyrim, I'm set. I thought that game looked great, even vanilla. Hopefully, there will some mod capability, which is the primary thing that makes Skyrim head and shoulders above the competition. If so, then vurt will fix the ugly plants perhaps :)

Unless it's a downgrade from TW2, it should easily look better than an unmodded Skyrim.

Skyrim vanilla looked so horrible…. I mean yuck… you might not remmember it without mods ?

j8llag.jpg

Back
Top Bottom