ELEX - New Screenshots

Looking at these screenshots ... I have absolutely no idea where they want to go with this. They look pretty dumb, no other way to put it (and they're not exactly high quality either).
I really loved the Gothics (even liked nr. 3), did no think too much of Risen 1, was pretty much annoyed by Risen 2 (never finished), and never tried nr. 3 because of it. So far, no interest in Elex whatsoever.

I like Piranhas but I wish they would hire more people and get better engine, because their last four games have looked pretty much identical to this one.

Post apocalypse Gothic, what's not to like? I will get this on release, then play and watch the bad reviews and endure all of the bugs. Good old PB, got to love them.

Eh?
I just put minus because most probable bad hair. But if the game is also being released on consoles and I think it is, the reason for crap hair is necessity to adapt the code to inferior hardware. For a publisher that isn't filthy rich to invest into hair just because only PC audience can enjoy it, it's not really a huge minus.

My conclusion is based on those few screenshots. Maybe I'm wrong, we'll see in a year.
I still want that game on my rig, desperately!

I don't know. Risen looked 10x better on PC than it did on console. Whether that means we get all of the PhysX hair stuff and all, I don't really care. As long as the graphics are decent and it's a lot like Gothic or Risen, I'm good.

Likely hair physics will be the last of their priorities at the moment. They better make combat system more rewarding this time around.

Gothic 1&2 had really fun combat systems. Quite simplistic, but very rewarding. A great combination of player skill and character skill.

Gothic 3 was quite horrible after launch, but it turned out quite alright after cp team took over and rebalanced it. Still not dark souls, but it serves it's purpose. :)

Risen 1 had their best combat system to this date. So I still can't figure it out how on earth they started the series with something as brilliant as risen 1 and then decided to change the whole system to something as horrible & akward as the one in risen 2. Risen 3 was a slight improvement, but suffered from various balance issues and I didn't like the autoaiming thing one bit.

I might be one of the few people on the planet to agree with you about the first Risen having the best combat. It's definitely true IMO, the combat is very solid.

dropping down on the wishlist... sorry. i agree this was not expected or desired.

dropping down on the wishlist… sorry. i agree this was not expected or desired.

Other than the mech photo, I like what I see. This new batch of screens doesn't look much different from what we've seen prior. I don't get the negative reactions.

I just put minus because most probable bad hair. (..) For a publisher that isn't filthy rich to invest into hair just [the] audience can enjoy it, it's not really (..) huge (..).
6: Our hero is wearing a conspicuous toque (crotch protector)!
I don't care what my hair looks like as long as it is short.
A ball! Could be, but to me it looks more like a giant (..) for dwarves :), stuck in some (..)
Please stop talking about hair and balls and crotches, it might provoke unseemly misunderstandings. :p

Last edited:
... however, I do hope they add some character creation, or even just give the option to play as a female.

That's not going to happen because...

... the main protagonist is a certain male member of the so called Albs faction (high tech paramilitary ELEX consuming faction) whose glider is shot down while on a mission. This hero is predefined and the story requires him to be who he is.

As for the mech, well, they've said from the beginning that they would have a wild mix of themes including laser and plasma rifles, mechs, jetpacks (including aerial combat if you decide to make use of it), laser swords but also classic fantasy weapons like regular swords and bows and then also one faction that scavenges stuff and builds weird stuff from whatever they can find like chain swords and lots of improvised looking apparatuses.

It is because of this, IMHO way too wild & random, mix of themes that I am not particularly interested in ELEX. I'll probably buy it on sale one day but, for me, it just isn't preorder material like the Gothics unfortunately.

Post apocalypse Gothic, what's not to like? I will get this on release, then play and finish it twice, then watch the bad Angry Joe reviews who is clueless on how to play this game and endure max 20 all of the bugs.

There I fixed it for ya. ;)

I am not particularly interested in ELEX.
O_O :shocked:
I can't believe I'm seeing this sentence from you. Just can't.

Hm. Watched the footage. Flying with a regular sword in your hand looks unnatural.

As for the mech and the mix: what do you do with a classic bow against laser and plasma rifles?
I dunno... It is PB but I wish they'd do a remake of Gothic 2.

Please stop talking about hair and balls and crotches...

But I never see Eye talk that much. This apparently does the trick.

To add one more spoon of salt:
Looks very bland and outdated. Video reminds me of Gothic 3, especially clunky combat.
It seems like Piranha Bytes desperately want to make another Gothic1/2, but they don't know how anymore. :disappointed:

Sword wielding character and a giant Mech? Sorry, somehow doesn't click, doesn't excite. Although that big plant monster looked interesting, until the C-word was brought forth here. :)))

I pretty much enjoyed all of the Piranha Bytes games so far (with G2 the most and G3 the least), including the often panned Risen 2. To me those games were always about exploration (I love trying to search all the nooks and crannies), the atmosphere of the game world, and a slightly naughty protagonist, and PB manages to excel in those areas. And yes, combat tends of be average at best, sometimes it's even bad. They also ship their games with bugs and (nowadays) dated graphics, but to me their games have been entertaining and I have no doubt ELEX will be too. Having said that, those screenshots look just fine to me.

Back
Top Bottom