Good Old Games - Temple of Elemental Evil Released and Antara for Free

Ha!

What does CO8 stand for?

Circle of Eight

As for which one to choose. I always go with the latest that is not a beta. CO8modpack 5.0.0., but the 5.5.0 beta does sound interesting.

You can get them here.

Edit: Azarhal and I had exactly the same idea. Tell the name and link the sucker. Great minds think alike :D

From what I can gather indirectly from some boards is "NC" stands for "new content." Think I read on a different board someone complaining about a Final Fantasy sword being inserted into the game. It's stuff like that I've no interest in, so I think I'll steer clear of the NC mod.

That would depend on why you didn't like BG2 and NWN.
Well, I never finished NWN. I finished NWN2 (Barely, I might add) but I've never been able to get into the expansions. Same goes for NWN's expansions. I can't really give a reason why I "don't like them" (Best term for it), as it's more a case of I just can't get into them at all.

Oh please don't tell me they put in the freakin gun blade.

Heh, here is apparently the official answer to the "Final Fantasy sword" question:

Q: What's this I heard about Cloud's Sword from FF7 / Sword of Life Stealing?A: There is a hidden item called 'Sword of Life Stealing'. It's a +2 sword that drains a level on a critical hit and gives you 1d6 temporary HP. It's only available via console (type give 4154), and it was there in the vanilla game files.The life-stealing property is bugged - it will insta-kill any monster without actual character levels (most non-human monsters are such) on a critical hit. Monsters with regeneration ability (such as Trolls) will cause further problems, too.The Sword's model indeed looks like Cloud's sword from Final Fantasy.Co8 has created the Guillotine Blade, which used the same model but was otherwise a regular greatsword (without the bugged Lifestealing property). It used to be available for purchase on the beginning shopmap, and was wielded by some critters in Verbobonc. It has since been removed from the game and can only be obtained via console.Ref:http://www.co8.org/forum/showpost.ph...0&postcount=13

And here is a link to the Co8 mod FAQ thread, from which the above is quoted:

http://www.co8.org/forum/showthread.php?t=6153

Sorry for the second post, but the trackball button on my phone is broken, which makes it impossoble for me to edit my posts at the moment.

The NC involves quite a few new areas with new backgrounds, as well as a slew of new items, differently colored cloaks and armor, etc. etc. It mostly consists of more combat for people who love the combat, which as has been mentioned, is the whole point of the game. People running down the thin story and lack of C&C have to allow that the combat is fanspastic. I come back to it again and again.

To kill.

TOEE was IMO a BG2 style game

Even with the bugs, I have always felt TOEE was kind of a Baldurs Gate III, or at least what Baldurs Gate III should be like in gameplay. TOEE is the closest game to recreating a D&D sesion. I love the top-down isometric view and the turn-based combat. Graphics are nice and overall I just think its a great game.

I would love to see a more modern version of Temple made keeping both the isometric view and turn based combat. I wonder who now owns the D&D license, would love to see another game based on a D&D module...

I think there's currently a debate between Atari / Hasbro going on about that.

Thanks all for the info onthe CO8 mods — however, after visiting the links I am a tad cornfuzzled on which version to DL.

At http://www.sorcerers.net/Games/ToEE/index_circle.php 5.5 seems to be the best choice (following Skaven's advice to use the beta.) However, I also found http://www.moddb.com/mods/circle-of-eight-modpack which lists 5.92 betas (suggesting there must be a 5.8 non-beta somewhere??)

Both, btw, require you to add all the Atari patches first — which I believe are already included in the GoG release.

Would someone smarter about this than me (which would be just about anyone with an IQ greater than an Artichoke) advise whether any of the mods beyond 5.5 should be used?

(For now I have DLed 5.5 and plan to follow Skaven's advice)

Both, btw, require you to add all the Atari patches first — which I believe are already included in the GoG release.

From what I remember, Atari Patch 3 is incompatible with Co8. Don´t know how seriously though.

I played through ToEE shortly after it was released, with only the 1st official patch, and I can't recall running into any major bugs.

As far as comparing it to the BG games, I didn't feel it was very similar at all. Different campaign setting, and a totally different atmosphere. Overall I didn't like it as much as the Infinity Engine games, but it was nice to play something that wasn't set in the Forgotten Realms for a change.

UPDATE: GOG site says this is a false positive and to ignore it -- and to just disable AV s/w, or restore it from quarantine.
-------

Hmmm —- McAfee deleted ToEE.exe claiming it was a trojan — odd. Something called "generic.dx." McAfee reports the following:

Virus Characteristics
This detection is for trojans which are intended to retrieve and execute files from a remote server. This file will then be automatically executed on the infected machine. The nature of the remote file may vary. As the presence of these trojans and remote files are discovered, sites hosting these files are frequently taken down, so the downloading may cease to function as expected.
This "Generic.dx" connects to the below mentioned site to download other malicious files.
july[removed]/data/data.html

Also, the Trojan creates a mutex object “shengjik” to mark its presence.

——

odd — researching it now to see if this is a real problem, or not.

Last edited:
I played through ToEE shortly after it was released, with only the 1st official patch, and I can't recall running into any major bugs.

Most of the bugs were more or less serious omissions from in-game stuff.

For instance in D&D 3 you can only enchant masterwork weapons. There were only a few kinds of weapons available as masterwork weapons in the game and most of the missing ones were also not to be found as magic weapons. Later on in the game you *have* to have magic weapons. So, what's the problem? In D&D 3.x fighters need to really specialize in the use of a weapon in order to be useful and the game let you choose to specialize in weapons that you had no way of knowing would not be usable (because they could not be magic) later in the game.

Back
Top Bottom