Halo 3

I'm not interested in warez, I want to play a legit copy. I also don't care about the multiplayer.

I think it's only a matter of time....

That is why I did it the way I did. Someone was supposedly going to sell a XP-functional copy, but I don't know what ever happened to that ...

To be quite honest, I think you're missing the point entirely.

I doubt anyone here really thinks Halo (1-3) is a piece of crap objectively.

The problem with Halo 3, is the level of hype.

Let me state this again, just because it's so vital to my point:

The level of hype.

Reminds me of WOW. What a hype !

Sitting on the sofa watching television all night = ok
Sitting on the sofa playing games all night = get a life!

And what's about ...
... sitting on the dock of the bay ?

And what's about ...
... sitting on the dock of the bay ?

That's just... weird. Get a life! ;)

By the way, I just bought Halo 3, so I guess I'll see if it's really as good as the hype says, or isn't. ;) It's still the number one online first-person shooter on 360, so I figured it's a must-have. Some of those multi-player features are pretty sweet, but I'm not even a huge FPS fan. ;)

As for PC competition, I saw Enemy Territory: Quake Wars at the store, too. I have a feeling that game will trump Halo 3... :) I don't care, sitting in front of a TV is a different experience. Somehow I've never been able to get into the FPS online thing on PC. Maybe I won't on Xbox 360 either, but I'm pretty sure it's gonna be a lot easier as a casual player.

Dunno about that some of the kids are shit hot at fps with a controller, well, some I know are anyway.

By the way, I just bought Halo 3, so I guess I'll see if it's really as good as the hype says, or isn't. ;)
Latest internet flare-up ... HALO 3 NOT REALLY HD - ONLY 640p!!! ZOMG
As for PC competition, I saw Enemy Territory: Quake Wars at the store, too. I have a feeling that game will trump Halo 3... :)
It is out here next week ... I've got my (review) copy and am enjoying it - it is gorgeous and the gameplay is really tight so far.

I hope it plays better than the demo, I didn't think it was bad, I just wasn't blown away by it.

I have been completely unable to play demos due to the heavy load of full games on my docket ... which is too bad in some ways, since I can't tell you how it compares (which is also true of Two Worlds and many others)

I haven't touched Halo 3 much yet, but I really like the Theatre. I can't recall it being so easy to record your games and share it with other people. I know you could record your games as long ago as Doom, but this variation is just sweet. It auto-records everything, and you can move the camera around the map at will as the action goes on. I'm sure that you've read about it if you even skimped through one review, though.

I hope it plays better than the demo, I didn't think it was bad, I just wasn't blown away by it.

Imho the demo was nothing very special. Bland generic (confusing) scifi shooter. I like the idea of big maps and vehicles (i play ww2ol,operation flashpoint, battlefield) but the presentation in this is just too bland. I wasnt sure if the thing i was holding was somkind of weapon or a vacuum-cleaner. Perhaps I just need more time to get a feel for the game.

Team fortress 2 even though it doesnt offer vehicles and big maps is still way more addictive.

Okay, I'm a little ways into the single-player campaign now and have played some multi-player. This is my opinion so far.

I think this is actually really a very nice shooter. I feel that mostly it deserves high ratings. Games getting 10/10 and stuff will always be controversial, but I can easily see this competing with PC giants of the genre.

I mean... interesting world with some depth, check. Nice graphics, check. Solid gameplay, check. Good story, check. Decent balance, check. Good pacing and story progression, check. Good musical score, check. Great voice acting, check. Amazing multi-player, check. Lots kick-ass brutal action scenes with huge enemies, double check. The scarab tanks are fantastic in this iteration of Halo.

Sure it has its flaws, but having seen the good parts so far, I think the people calling it only a so-so average shooter are the same sort of people who had this reaction to Bioshock as anti-hype reflex... or, maybe people are just having different opinions.

Funny. :D

What I disagree with is the ever-returning argument that everything in Halo 3 has been done before, and better. It may have been done before, but not necessarily better, in my opinion. I don't see it as a bad thing, taking the best from other games and incorporating it in a neat, polished package. Blizzard got big on it. In any case, it's been done competently in Halo 3.

What's true is the incredibly stupid vehicle AI of your fellow marines. They drive like doped up 12-year-olds! But it leads to some funny situations and it's fun.

I liked Bioshock, but everybody's saying how Bioshock was a lot better than Recent Title X... well, I don't know. So far I'm enjoying Halo 3 a bit more, I think, philosophical depth be damned. It's just a little more over the top and throws some much needed humour into the mix. But they can't really be compared, anyway. (And why should you have to?)

Well said Thaurin, although I disagree on your comment about Blizzard. Many more developers have copied traits from Blizzard games than the other way around.

While that may be true, I've always thought that their RTS games were part existing ideas polished to perfection and smaller part innovation, and World of Warcraft is a great example of polished MMORPG gameplay that certainly existed in that form before but was done better and in a more enjoyable way than in other games. I'm not saying they never did anything new for those genres, but Blizzard's games have always made sense in a just-having-fun kind of way. They somehow took all those ideas and made them more fun. And I really admire Blizzard for it!

Where Blizzard truly innovated is in the gameplay and user interface departments, I think! Well, not exactly that, but made them so much smoother that it could be called that. Oh, forget it. :D

I just got back from an Uncle's house where a young cousin of mine was playing Halo 3.

I must admit that I was very impressed by what I saw. I've seen a few games on Xbox 360 before, but nothing that compares to Halo 3. I didn't even know that the 360 was capable of rendering graphics like that, it was on par with anything currently available for pc right now. I know graphics aren't everything, but if that game plays even half as good as it looks, I might almost be tempted to plunk down $400 for a 360.

Of couse I'm sure it will be available for pc.........in 2-3 years. :(

I think Halo 3 looks good, but it's definitely not the best-looking 360 title. I think Gears of War could be considered for that, or Bioshock. There's a lot of people complaining about Halo 3's visuals, but I personally think they're just bitching. Halo 3's HDR lighting is pretty good, but it sacrifices anti-aliasing, which results in teh jaggies. Some people go totally apeshit about that sort of thing and immediately start comparing the game to the original Halo's graphics. :D

Furthermore, addressing some other points of criticism I have read, of course Halo's story isn't high art, but it's fun, for a game. It does have a cinematic and epic feel to it. It's been done professionally and never feels cheap in its presentation. That's all that I really need, really.

Back
Top Bottom