How old were you when you played your first RPG?

At what age did you play your first RPG?

• 1-9

Votes: 12 15.4%
  • 10-19

Votes: 50 64.1%
  • 20-29

Votes: 11 14.1%
  • 30-39

Votes: 4 5.1%
  • 40-49

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 50-59

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • 60 and up

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I miss the great manuals that came with the early cRPGs. Wizardry and Might and Magic had nice manuals with artwork and cartoons. The Wizardry cartoons were hilarious.

Age 10 or 11 for my own CRPG- Gateway to Apshai. Then probably Ultima 3 after that. I had played Ultima, Wizardy and Temple of Apshai at friends' houses before that. For RPG it is likely 7 or 8, playing basic D&D with my older brother and friends.

It was Wizardry 6 on the Amiga, if I remember correctly. I was 15, I think. But the rpg-virus was already in me from the day I read about Dungeon Master.

Circa 1978, 8 years old, my brother and I had a Basic DnD Box set. It was all down hill after that..... Or uphill....

I was part of the D&D craze back when it hit big in the early 1980s. I must have been around 13 when I first got introduced to it by my next door neighbor, he was 20-something and he had a bunch of us neighborhood kids start to come over for long D&D sessions. It was a lot of fun. And then I also would play at lunch time in middle school too.

If you mean computer role playing games, I did play some of that text game Zork, but I came late to computer rpgs you might say, I missed most of the 1990s era, my first real one that I played was Baldur's Gate. I was absolutely amazed at that game at the time, and it hooked me real good on the crpgs.

Last edited:
My first RPG was RuneQuest which I played at the age of about 10. The second one was Cyberpunk 2020 which we played at the verge of teen age. I was so proud of playing PnP RPGs instead of playing with Legos that time :D In retrospective, they both were similar kind of child's play and I should not have felt ashamed to play with Legos. I liked RPGs so much that volunteered in a local RPG store for work practice when I was at the 6th class. I still remember how the workers would LARP in the store when there were no customers. One, who had a toy sword, would be an elf and fight against a "dwarf" with a hammer. The dwarf lost because the elf summoned a river in between them and dwarfs could not swim. Even though these guys were >40 and I was 12, I think I was the least child in that shop :ROFLMAO:

My first computer RPG was Ultima 5, which I played around the same time than RuneQuest. I could not understand anything about that game since I could not read English. All I remember how scary the blue robed ghosts were and how cool it was to get magical throwing axes for the entire party. Baldur's Gate came out when I was 15 and blew my mind away. It was so fancy and modern! That's still one of the few games I have finished multiple times.

Regrettably, I am too busy these days to play PnP or cRPGs. Also, I have partly lost interest for them but am sure that it will come back one day. It would be fun to play, for example, BG3 with a group of people when it comes out.

Back
Top Bottom