Marvel's Midnight Suns - Released

Poor intro: they completely forgot facial mimicry. Probably nobody had the skill at whichever company that was tasked with the intro. Disappointingly only the mouth moves and eyes close/open on character faces, while tensions are high and they are shouting at each other with anger... Could watch the trailer for 45 secs, before it blew my fuses. Very Anti-Hype, lame material.
Tried to watch the combat gameplay on YT, but the idiots ruined the that part with the stupid cards system as well...
My 2 cents: A V O I D W A R E™©℗®
The combat is quite enjoyable and the card system is nice. I still would prefer, by far, a XCom 3, but this game is good.

I'm not a fan, about walking around the Abbey, collecting resources and other items, but I can see how the Abbey part helps not to get saturated of the combat too fast. Too many in a row can get more repetitive than XCom's combat system.

But I still played like 3 hours in a row, so they did something right.

Also the performance might be affected by the bloatware DRM Denuvo. As 2K stealthily added it without telling consumers on Steam.
Jesus Ass Motherf&*^%! I don't care a fig for this game, but that kind of crap drives me insane.

Jesus Ass Motherf&*^%! I don't care a fig for this game, but that kind of crap drives me insane.
It's not crap as few game developers have admitted it was the culprit before. Yes this reason gets overblown sometimes but I'm sorry to say it happens. So get over yourself.

Want another fact the publisher sneakily added it day one and not before.

Now I expect an apology before I report your post or I fling the crap back at you. ^^

Last edited:
It's not crap as few game developers have admitted it was the culprit before. Yes this reason gets overblown sometimes but I'm sorry to say it happens. So get over yourself.

Want another fact the publisher sneakily added it day one and not before.

Now I expect an apology before I report your post or I fling the crap back at you. ^^
I would like to add to this - there have been quite a few games where Sony drm crap has caused significant perf issues; i think among the most famous was witcher 3 where they removed it the day after release and a lot of the perf issues went away which is pretty good evidence that the drm is having negative impact on things. A few publishers will actually remove it after a certain amount of time but most of them don't give a hoot and leave it even after the game has long been cracked. In fact some people crack the stupid game just to get rid of the perf issues caused by the drm though a lot of folks are just plain thieves... but that is a different issue. The bottom line is that most publishers don't really give a hoot once the game been sold and the buyers are left with the mess. Even worse most developers don't realize there will be an issue when the drm is added since the PUBLISHER adds it after the fact...

The only way i would buy this is if the publisher promised to remove the drm crap after a certain period. On a side note that video made the game look pretty lame. I mean it is pretty but basically the things he pointed out made it appear to be a dumb down xcom with little strategic thought in the overall mechanics. Glad some people like it but without the heavy handed drm i might have picked it up on a sale but this is a publisher that never bothers to remove the drm.

Midnight Suns is indeed quite talkative, though the voice acting is pretty good and the writing fine so far. I'm a couple of hours in and very much still in the revealing of systems phase. Combat seems fun.

Rumors that Denuvo is behind the issues, gee, what a surprise.
So where are the rumors that a debug version of one of the game files got published? Where are the rumors of driver incompatibilities? Where are the good old "Microsoft's fault!" rumors?

It's possible Denuvo is behind the problems, especially if it was dropped in late in the process, but I'm sick of Denuvo being blamed every time it COULD be the problem.

Again another member who can't read our understand. Selective quoting for the win.

Yes this reason gets overblown sometimes but I'm sorry to say it happens :roll:

Did either of you read my first post also obviously not.
Well we can all blame co-vid right? Forced most developers to make employees work from home even with game development. Anyway we all know XCOM 3 is being made.
The Denuvo problem was my second post of possible reasons so good afternoon sir.

Last edited:
Then they need to stop quoting it's that simple. I own it but won't be playing till it's patched on PC, and DLC gets all released. Might be an expansion in the future as well.

You want opinions I shared over ten reviews on the other thread.

So there you have it another useless post for the thread. ^^

Marvel's Midnight Suns - Official Accolades Trailer

Rise Up! It’s time to experience “one of the best super hero games full stop” as praised by Rock Paper Shotgun. See what the critics are saying about Marvel’s Midnight Suns! And then launch your epic Marvel adventure TODAY!
Marvel’s Midnight Suns 17 Things To Do In The Abbey

Spar with Ghost Rider. Craft with Doctor Strange. Chill with Blade. So many possibilities! Learn 17 things you do in The Abbey with this helpful guide from strategy gamer extraordinaire, Christopher Odd.

I know you volunteer your time to give something for this site for the rest of us, I respect that. But sometimes you're a "beautiful butterfly"

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm looking forward to someone sharing an opinion on the game. We all know by now that nobody likes Denuvo.

I'm playing on PS5 (turn your noses up now), so it looks good and has no framerate issues.
Installing it now. I read the steam threads about bypassing the SK launcher, disabling cloud saves, and ray tracking - those three seem to fix the performance issues for most folks on the thread I read. My weekend is busy and almost over but when I have a chance will let you know what I think. As always I checked if it had difficulty adjustments before purchasing, and it does, so I expect I will enjoy the overall experience w/out getting too frustrated with combat.

Installing it now. I read the steam threads about bypassing the SK launcher, disabling cloud saves, and ray tracking - those three seem to fix the performance issues for most folks on the thread I read. My weekend is busy and almost over but when I have a chance will let you know what I think. As always I checked if it had difficulty adjustments before purchasing, and it does, so I expect I will enjoy the overall experience w/out getting too frustrated with combat.
There is a full story mode too I think but that might be too forgiving.

The fights on normal don't seem difficult, just don't accept the difficulty changes when offered.

I usually avoid games that have a setting I know nothing of. For example, I've never seen Star Wars so haven't played any of the games, assuming that some knowledge would be required to understand the story. Would a lack of Marvel knowledge spoil this game?

I will enjoy the overall experience w/out getting too frustrated with combat.
Apparently that's the only good part. And apparently it lacks misssion variety, but that was true for Xcom as well... SO yes please do share what you think always good to get more opinions on the game before buying it.

I played 65 minutes last night. It's a bit campy. Even though the reviews said it wasn't too bad with the humor and slapstick the intro felt like 90% one liners and the rest dialogue. Doesn't bother me too much although its clear the game doesn't take itself seriously. At least IMO.

I went in and put it on easy. I only did the tutorial combat so far - I logged right before my first real mission. The 65 mins was going through the lessons, cinematic, meeting some people, some exploring. Combat was easy but probably because I am on story mode and it was the tutorial. The combat is pretty good with the visual cues and not too overwhelming (I thought the tutorial was well done) so I suspect I will be fine on normal difficulty once I get the hang of it.

Game is meant to be played with a controller IMO. It does have key board mapping but at least one big lapse there - like I was able to map arrow keys to tactical, strategy, and menu movement/camera but when moving around exploring places (out of combat) I wasn't able to and they stayed on WASD-QE keys. I am researching to see if someone has a tool or trick to overcome that. Found a couple threads with others having the same issue. I do not like using WASD for movement. Also the menu system, at least some of it (especially photomode) was all constant digging into menus and having to back out - very controller focused - not like a good keyboard menu system). Minor nit pick though.

Graphics look dated for a new game. Faces are a bit plastic, hair was ... okay I guess. Not great but no worse then say BG3. Overall character visuals are not up to C2077 standards or even a well modded Skyrim/FO. Limited options to customize your Hunter. That being said I was able to make a pretty nice looking Hunter to play with so I was satisfied well enough. Needed more options IMO for faces and such. So many games do now I was surprised at the limits.

Has some nice special effects and visuals and I like the story and whole comic book atmosphere a lot. It's like living in a comic book. The card combat I thought would be a big turn off but wasn't. Even the TB style felt okay. I like how it was clear what was going on as you plan each move/attack/defense. I didn't have to guess if I had lined something up right, say to knockback someone back into a wall for added damage or to throw a rock at someone (you can use the enviroment in limited fashion based on the tutorial but not like Larian games from what I saw - more throwing objects and the like).

I don't like how there are waves of "reinforcements" in combat (like how it was in Dragon Age 2) but guess that is how XCOM style is. Assuming the real missions are similar to the tutorial combat anyhow. All that being said I think I will keep it, if just for something different. If the key mapping annoys me and the first couple of missions are horrible, however, I will return it. Got 50 mins of game play left to decide.

PS - I just solved the keyboard issue with the walking around exploring not using the arrow keys. There is no place to map it specifically but it has some connection to menu keys and other mappings. Anyhow by mapping the menu keys to the NUMPAD the arrow keys now work for exploring.

It's growing on me so decided to keep it. The photo mode is primitive but fun. You can collect comic backgrounds as you play and lots of things to edit to make your own cover. EDIT: Already getting a little better at it. So updated to a better image.

52545960865_12d6cab8d5_k.jpg

52545775249_41bae578be_k.jpg

52545016262_3115af74c6_k.jpg

52545932290_55d921a005_c.jpg

OMG You get your own Hell Hound! I am so sold on this game now lol!

52546195373_a6bb44a300_k.jpg

EDIT TWO:
The humor is corny but ... hate to admit it I was laughing a lot at some of them. So stupid they were funny. The writing is improving after the tutorial. I am really getting into it. Played for 4 hours tonight. Been a while since I played a game 4 straight hours ... especially after a full day of being on the computer at work.

So 5 hours in but only done one full mission (not counting tutorial) so just initial feedback. Spent a lot of time exploring, reading lore, talking to people, etc.

Last edited:
Glad you're liking it WGD. I am too. It's very easy to end up losing hours to it as Firaxis has practically perfected the dopamine drip... you're constantly bouncing from one thing to another, unlocking this, improving that.

One of my main concerns is that it would be too easy (with death being pretty much out of the question, for one thing), and it has been easy, but my last couple of missions were a bit harder. I had my first hero go down, for instance. I've been toying with increasing it to "heroic" difficulty level, but I think I'll ride with normal for now and see if the somewhat increased difficulty continues. I like to be challenged, but not necessarily fail and have to do stuff over.

Back
Top Bottom