Marvel's Midnight Suns - Released

Well, I lied. I wasn't going to buy it, but I did.

I played for a few missions in the end and finding it fun.

I don't think it does any one particular thing amazingly well, but it is fun.

The card combat is quite simple compared to other card games I've played. But it is intricate enough that doing some deck changes remains interesting.

The puzzles are quite simple at the moment but it offers a bit of variety to the gameplay. Exploring the Abbey Grounds is somewhat limited but offers a nice breather from fights.

It's like they managed to mash up some different gameplay types in a simple yet fun manner.

Some fighting combos do seem to work really well together. For example one person can make portals, another can make hell holes and another has lots of knock backs, so you can push an enemy through a portal into a hell hole.

I do tend to play every mission with my main character though so I'm probably missing some fun combos but I'm a but off like that.

Glad you're liking it WGD. I am too. It's very easy to end up losing hours to it as Firaxis has practically perfected the dopamine drip... you're constantly bouncing from one thing to another, unlocking this, improving that.

One of my main concerns is that it would be too easy (with death being pretty much out of the question, for one thing), and it has been easy, but my last couple of missions were a bit harder. I had my first hero go down, for instance. I've been toying with increasing it to "heroic" difficulty level, but I think I'll ride with normal for now and see if the somewhat increased difficulty continues. I like to be challenged, but not necessarily fail and have to do stuff over.
I've moved over to Heroic II and it's not too bad still. The only difficult mission has been a Hard mission for now. Not had to use my revive yet in any mission.

I don't get 3 stars but I don't care about that.

I'm a sucker for games that mix combat with non-combat like this. As I have said many times I like combat but it isn't my focus in games like so many others here. So I need other things to do. I also really like companions and relationship building and all that. So for me the Abbey is a lot of fun to explore and do things before and after missions. BUT I am only a few hours end. My opinion could change later if I find it doesn't keep things interesting. Right now, however, I am all gung-ho about it. It isn't like anything is excellent but the overall variety of things to do and game styles makes for a nice decent mix. Its fun as some have said in this thread - and bottom line fun is why I play games.

Also to update one of my comments about limited character create options. While that still holds true for the face creation, and no body options (for a super hero game I was hoping you could select a body type at least - between slim/athletic and bulky/huge), once in the game I found you can buy lots of cosmetic stuff with gloss, which you earn while playing the game. It lets you fully edit hair and bears with highlights, colors, and more tweaking to all the original settings you got in case you want to change skin tone, eye color, etc. You can also buy new outfits for relaxing at the abby, combat stuff, head gear (masks, sunglasses, head wraps, and so on), and lots of other accessories.

You get your own room which you can decorate by buying items (the first thing I got was the plush dog bed for Charlie the Hell Hound of course), changing color schemes, and giving your room your own personal touch, which I always love being able to do.

I was annoyed at first that things weren't all there from the start ... but now I rather like it. As @JFarrell71 said its a bit of a dopamine drip but since it is only in-game stuff (not MT) I am okay. For me its something to look forward to and part of the character development. Lets you slowly build up your character and room over time.

Probably helps I am not overly obsessive about unlocking everything or maxing out everything - another reason I prefer easy settings as I don't want to feel like I have to grind for all the best gear to win at combat - by playing on easier settings I can focus more on other things then worrying about grinding to always have the very best gear. In some ways that also makes the game a bit harder. I find it the same in Skyrim when I run around in gear more suitable for a level 5 character then a level 25 one. Or in FO4 on survival mode at level 30 wearing raider leathers you find on a level 1 raider.

Pointing this out as an example why playing on easier modes isn't always just about getting through combat fast - its about balancing ones play styles and role playing to find the right challenge. If you are not a cookie-cutter min/max player then often times you won't be able to manage the hardest difficulties which expect you to be maximising overall game play mechanics.

Anyhow rambling now :p For me the game is hitting a lot of fun notes that I have missed for a while in games. Its also the first game to pull me away from my holy trinity of games (Skyrim, FO4, SIMS4) since WOTR. Wartales pulled me a bit but sort of waiting for that to have its official release.

52545291067_e562d20939_k.jpg

Back
Top Bottom