Obsidian Entertainment - Tyranny Revealed

That was totally unexpected, i had no idea there would be announcement like that. Very excited about it, i have faith in Obsidian to make a good RPG since Pillars was great in general.

While the idea sounds interesting, and the screenshots look great, I worry a bit about the action part of it. Obsidian isn't very know for visceral action combat. I hope it's at least decent. I wonder if you have a party to control in it.
The announcement claims "Challenging, classic RPG combat with modern mechanics and presentation". I would think that has to mean either RTwP or turn-based combat. I assume the other alternative is Diablo-style combat, but who in their right mind would call that "classic RPG combat"? Well, maybe some marketing idiot I suppose.

No brainer for me. Will buy.

@sea I must admit I was hoping for an rpg where you worked in human resources and fired people/got rid of them in evil ways which led to interesting choice and consequence as you progressed up the company ladder.

It has to be said, and I voluntarily accept the challenge: You're looking for something like the current president-wannabe-campaign?

pibbur who sometimes can be very predictable,

@pibbur who
Something like that except more cartoony fun muhahahahaha!! I have the power now! Instead of oh god not that guy/gal?! Aka American Presidential candidates *shudder*

this is an interesting reveal but it was not worth me staying up until 2 am for it :(

Finally a game where I can go lawful evil just because it's per design.
It's instabuy.

But it's Paradox. Maybe they plan to DLC-o-ramaize it. Will wait for more input.

Finally a game where I can go lawful evil just because it's per design.
I hope it's not mandatory though. For me it'll be signidicantly less fun if I'm forced to play an evil guy.

I don't think you're forced into anything.
The point I was trying to say (but not sure how) is that all games where you can go jesus or dick put detail only into "good" choices but lack of depth if you pick the evil path. My impression that this game should deal with that issue.

Looks awesome. Its great to see Obsidian in their second primetime. :)

It is strange it doesn't tie into Pillars - maybe they wanted to do a new IP, assuming Paradox has a bigger stake in this one.

From what I understand, this is Project Vermont or North Carolina (anyway the reworked Microsoft cancelled Xbox one game, it did move from AAA 3D to isometric...). They started working on it long before PoE came into the picture, but it was shelved in 2011 because no publisher wanted to back it. They restarted the project after PoE started production most probably because they pitched it to Paradox and they accepted to fund it.

I hope it's not mandatory though. For me it'll be signidicantly less fun if I'm forced to play an evil guy.

You basically play Judge Dredd for a Sauron. NPCs will probably see you as evil until you do something nice for them.

Some more news. Tim Cain said on is facebook that he is working on this project (note I can't confirm that, I saw it on reddit).

more:
It's mostly the South Park team that is working on this, 40-50 people, much larger than POE.
Brian Heins is the director (first time at the job, previously was systems designer on South park)

It's either TB or RTwP, apparently Paradox prefers RT.

Last edited:
I won't get my hopes up until I know for sure if combat is twitchy or not.

It looks interesting though again I have to ask: how can you announce an RPG and not say whether combat is turn-based, real-time, or that fence-sitting abomination RTWP? This is one of the most (or just the most?) important points for people interested in a computer game.

I'm not an Obsidian fan, so I'll wait until several of you have played it and decide :)

I love Obsidian, but I'll be waiting to hear some more before I decide to dive in. Not particularly impressed by the teaser trailer style or overwrought, hammy-voice acting. I'll have to wait for more information; the guts of the features and their potentiality for quality role-playing will no doubt settle the matter for me.

It looks interesting though again I have to ask: how can you announce an RPG and not say whether combat is turn-based, real-time, or that fence-sitting abomination RTWP? This is one of the most (or just the most?) important points for people interested in a computer game.
Erm… I'm one of those who couldn't care less about combat style in a game so that's how they can.

While I basically like all combat designs, it can still ruin the game for me if it's badly made. For example play FinalFantasy13 to see what's combat abomination. After that one, you'll beg for anything that's not similar to that.

On the other hand, even a spectacular combat design doesn't mean I can love the game. The best example is The Last Remnant. Unique and strategic planning design of the combat yet the game blews it with excessive amount of forced grind and random occurences of mobs/loot you're supposed to find by enter/exit and do the whole huge area all over again till RNG shows some mercy on you.

With Obsidian I'm sure I'll be getting a good story. At least for the most part.
For all I care, they can leave combat out of the game completely, I'm still buying.

There is a press embargo that drop next week that's probably why we don't have more details.

Saying that, I have the impression that Obsidian/Paradox do not consider combat to be a selling point compared to fitting the game into the classic story rich RPG renaissance with PoE, Divinity Original Sin and Wasteland 2 do.

One thing that is mentioned in the press release that doesn't seem to be on the official website or Steam: A nonlinear story challenges players to find their role within the dominant empire and live with the outcomes of difficult, morally unclear decisions.

Back
Top Bottom