Opinion - Microsoft Should Fund Pillars of Eternity 3

To contrast the naysayers, I'd just like to say that I really enjoyed Pillars of Eternity a lot and finished it on Path of the Damned over multiple playthroughs which I completed. I posted most of my impressions here at the 'Watch as I was playing and wrote a mini review. The game was legitimately fun to plan parties for and has some fantastic memorable encounters. It's a pity that content was front end loaded somewhat as many players ran out of steam by the time they got to Twin Elms.
I gave it a good 30-odd hours. Cleared out all the northern areas up to the entrance to the new city, including taking out the castle bad guy and some delving into the cave beneath the stronghold and my enthusiasm just petered out really.

I'd played so long and still had so little to show for it, in both tangible and non-tangible assets. It's like nothing was really grabbing my attention, an endorphinless experience.

And it wasn't because numbers weren't going up or because things weren't being slain or any of that, there was just something unexplainably dull about it. My enthusiasm would swing quite drastically from day to day, from really into it to not having the slightest interest to load it up.

I'd probably need a 15 page essay or 2 hour video to properly address why this might be and still struggle to accurately communicate what the issue was. I think this is why words like dull and boring are used as shorthand TLDR.

But, yeah, I reached the gates of the first city and just found myself not loading it up for a few days, which became a few weeks, which became ever again.

The system mechanics definitely played their part in this.

Back
Top Bottom