Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous - New DLC: The Last Sarkorians

I can understand that, it always takes me some effort to try a new game when I had a good experience. It raises the bar somehow and the new game better be good or it will easily disappoint. But it's so worth the "risk" when it's good too.
True it doesn't help having narrow tastes like I do either. Would be having a blast right now if I still loved playing small budget JRPGs. As they are very abundant online nowadays. :cry:

Yea I am the same - I tend to replay my favorites over and over as I have only a few games I really love, that also have a high replay factor (for me, of course others may not see the replay factor I do). I do try a couple new games each year but still haven't found any that give me the replay enjoyment of my favs.

I am doing another WOTR replay although not sure now if I will wait for the shifter or not. Wish I knew if one of the shapes was werewolf or not. Only showed the Griffon one.

Which chapter are you in now? I heard shifter can join very early in the game and you need to get him early if you are interested in romancing him. So, I'm pushing on with my Trickster run and will play with shifter next run.

I suspect shifter companion (with griffon form) is using homebrew archetype. Not sure whether other archetypes or default one will allow wolf form (I suspect likely but its not confirmed)

I've replayed Witcher III and CP2077 four times but those are different RPGs. As both Pathfinder games require more time and investment, and damn I hate those puzzles.

Especially the Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous ones with a certain companion quest.
You can skip Enigma, its not mandatory.

They recently posted this poll on discord which I found very interesting :p

1674298518629.png

You can skip Enigma, its not mandatory.
Unfortunately not an option. My OCD makes me complete every damn quest.

As for the poll I'd pick story, characters, romance, and base building/mechanics.

They never responded to me :/ I guess they can't say anything until they are ready to announce something officially.
Could be a good sign? If they knew they were completely done with Pathfinder, they should be free to just say it...

It was announced the game sold only 1 million copies.
Financially, probably a massive success for a game made in Russia with 2-3 years dev time?

Financially, probably a massive success for a game made in Russia with 2-3 years dev time?
More then likely but again they are no longer a Russian developer.

I remember it was mentioned they moved the company to Nicosia, Cyprus. Still the majority of developers are Russian. Anyway those are not still not great sale numbers.

When you compare the sales of similar games it's no wonder developers are not making them anymore. This sub-genre of RPG's is definitely for a niche audience nowadays.

When you compare the sales of similar games it's no wonder developers are not making them anymore. This sub-genre of RPG's is definitely for a niche audience nowadays.
I don't know, when I asked today, Owlcats were happy with their sale figure and they are continuing to make similar type of games (Rogue Trader). I don't think raw sales figure alone is a good measure of whether these games are viable or not :p

I don't know, when I asked today, Owlcats were happy with their sale figure and they are continuing to make similar type of games (Rogue Trader). I don't think raw sales figure alone is a good measure of whether these games are viable or not :p
Sure you can be happy your game sold a million copies but to the industry itself those are small numbers. Lets ask CDPR or Bethesda as there games sell over 20+ million each.

No one is saying their game is trash because of low sales that is not the point.

The point is this sub-genre of RPG's is definitely for a niche audience.

Bet you Rouge Trader sells more and TB is the future path of their games.:biggrin:

Bet you Rouge Trader sells more and TB is the future path of their games.:biggrin:
I'm sure Rogue Trader will sell more than WotR but not just because its TB.

Owlcats are more recognised in industry because of Pathfinder games success and there are a lot of WH40K fans.

But not sure why you are even talking about RT and TB all of sudden.

RT is still isometric party based cRPG just like WotR. So by your definition Owlcats is still making a niche game - i.e viable from their point of view.

In terms of whether they will go TB only in future games is unknown still. Yes, I think its more likely they will but you never know the future, so I still hope :)

Only mentioned TB because TB RPGs sells more that's what the current market predicts nowadays. The Warhammer IP Owlcat are using is also more popular then Pathfinder.

I have waited over thirty years to play a decent Warhammer CRPG.
RT is still isometric party based cRPG just like WotR. So by your definition Owlcats is still making a niche game - i.e viable from their point of view.
Sure but I want to see the cost vs sale stats just to see how viable not just PR posts.

Last edited:
Sure but I want to see the cost vs sale stats just to to see how viable not just PR posts.
I don't know about you but the fact its in production (with working alpha version) is more proof for me than anything its viable. Just to be clear, I'm talking about isometric party based cRPGs in general.

But hey, if you disagree, thats fine with me :)

I still hope for more Pathfinder games and I believe they will come back to it, maybe after RT

Yes each to their own, I guess as we are all biased. :evilgrin:

More then likely but again they are no longer a Russian developer.

I remember it was mentioned they moved the company to Nicosia, Cyprus. Still the majority of developers are Russian. Anyway those are not still not great sale numbers.

They are still a Russian developer as far as I'm concerned. Where they choose to locate their HQ for legal purposes doesn't matter. I think all their lead devs are Russian, or at least live in Russia.

And for this type of game, 1 million is absolutely great sales numbers. It's a $50 game with tons of DLC out. Even after the Steam tax, their profits on this are almost certainly insanely high, considering it uses all Eastern European labor.

According to SteamSpy, Pillars of Eternity 2 hasn't even sold a million copies yet (it's in the 500K-1M range). And Josh Sawyer is on the record saying it ended up breaking even at some point, must be at least slightly profitable by now. And that's with mostly California labor costs, which are several times higher than Russia.

Last edited:
You proved my point like I said niche games. I bow out of this discussion as they go in circles with no one agreeing on anything. So to save headache's have a good day.:bow:

If you were just trying to say it's a niche game, then you probably didn't need to bother...I doubt there's anyone here who doesn't realize that isometric RPGs are niche in 2023. They aren't intended to appeal to the Unwashed Masses.

Though >1M sales is a pretty huge sized niche, as niches go.

Is 1 million sales not high enough for a mid-size AA game? I dunno... If that is the case, why would they bother making another wave of DLCs (season 2)? Or even why would they make a second PF game and port it to other devices in the first place if KM also sold 1M?

I think that making a Warhammer game would broaden Owlcat's public and that is probably why they decide for a change. But I am not sure Warhammer is more popular than Pathfinder because PF is basically D&D.
Ah screw it guess I'll reply once again. :LOL:

Moving on I remember Swen writing that BG III had sold three million copies already, and that was in Early Access. So if Pathfinder was the same as D&D. Why the low sales?

Just some food for thought.

Last edited:
Ah screw it guess I'll reply once again. :LOL:

Moving on I remember Swen writing that BG III had sold three million copies already, and that was in Early Access. So if Pathfinder was the same as D&D. Why the low sales?
Pathfinder is essentially D&D but does not have the same brand recognition. Furthermore, BGIII is a AAA game created by a bigger and more well-known studio, while OwlCat is a AA-game studio at best.

Already know that I was just referring to your post PF is basically D&D.

I have no idea of Owlcats operating costs versus how many sales and DLC's released.

We all know the costs of operations is cheaper overseas, but we'll never have the data. It's never offered unless your an investor, or the person who controls the money.

There is no data available on the amount of sales for Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader yet. Bottom-line the profit as stated has to be acceptable to make more games.

Lesson learned is don't be a game developer. :unsure:

On a side note were going in circles as the written word is inferior for debate.

Back
Top Bottom