Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous - Patch 1.0.7c

I do see elitism showing here as well in but coming to expect that somewhat condescending attitude in these decisions.

To me this is not a table top game (and I played AD&D for many years), its a computer game. Consequently it is merely subjective opinion that X type of combat is better or not. Better itself is a subjective thing as well. It is certainly not a fact that a computer game is better for adapting X combat style. Some may think it is more accurate (accurate also isn't better) or reflective, but whether it is better or not is a matter of pure opinion.

I feel it's elitist (or excluding, which is a subset of elitism) of people to ask for a game to get rid of TB mode just because it's more convenient to them, turning down the whole population that prefers TB games. On the other hand, nobody asked for the game to prescind RTwP.

I feel it's elitist (or excluding, which is a subset of elitism) of people to ask for a game to get rid of TB mode just because it's more convenient to them, turning down the whole population that prefers TB games. On the other hand, nobody asked for the game to prescind RTwP.

Aye I agree 100% percent which is why I never actually said that. Reading comprehension for the win:

Having both options is generally the ideal goal to please more people but if the TB (or RTWP) is added more as an after-thought or isn't well implemented it may cause more harm than good.

Luckily most folks in this thread are pretty easy going about it. It's when people try to pass of opinion as fact, or get condescending, I get annoyed.

Like Couch I even have grown to manage/enjoy TB somewhat in some games even if its certainly not my preferred game style.

I wonder how much smoother the game would have been without the annoying TB combat added. Shame so many games get ruined with TB combat. Luckily a few TB games are still decent enough to play in-spite of the crappy combat style.

It's true, you didn't.

I do wonder how much smoother would the game have been without crappy RTwP tho. Maybe it would have been as successful as DOS2. I'm sure a greater number of players would be happy, and Owlcat would be celebrating.

I really do not believe that I would be able to finish that game without having TB on. I just don't have the wits anymore for an RT game. I'm not sure how far I could get with real time with pause.

I wish they had junked rtwp to start with in the game. Likewise in Pathfinder Kingmaker. Because I do think turn based is way, way superior a combat system, (IMHO) and as I have grown older, I now think rtwp makes less and less sense.

And then since they included rtwp, there are a lot of "junk" low level monster battles from the little I have played Path of Righteous so far, and its silly to do turn based on those trivial encounters, so just to prevent boredom I turned on rtwp for those silly battles, and then poof - over in a few seconds, monsters squished! (yay?)

If the game encounters were designed around turn based exclusively, it seems to me every battle could be designed to be a lot more fun and tactical and strategic. And sure, there would be less battles, but each one would be richer and more interesting. Again, all in my humble opinion.

It's true, you didn't.

I do wonder how much smoother would the game have been without crappy RTwP tho. Maybe it would have been as successful as DOS2. I'm sure a greater number of players would be happy, and Owlcat would be celebrating.

You really do suck at reading comprehension don't you :p Ah well will just put you on ignore.

I enjoy games with combat like Wasteland 3
Sold your soul to mmos?

Anyway, we had the combat style discussion.
I said back then and it didn't change - the combat part in any game is the least thing I care about, I play equally rt, tb, combinations or mixed derives.

Sometimes however the combat is poor, regardless of the system used, but other game aspects if good can still hook me and I'll love the game.
There are also cases where combat does feel fun at first, but the game overall is so shallow and grindy, has nothing to offer but the combat, I get tired of such rubbish fast.

Wotr provides you a choice and you pick the combat style you like more.
There is also nothing wrong if you play a bit of the game rt, then switch a bit to tb, depending on your current mood.
There are (still) bugs here and there with both combat styles, but it is not related to rt or tb choice.
I just don't have the wits anymore for an RT game.
But you do.
You don't have wits any more for a game, any, that isn't mmo. :p

:p

Yes, but my real drawback is my slight Dyscalculia. Which means that I'm not good at min-maxing.

Nah, no need to split the thread. I don't care to debate it, and while there used to be one or two here who would just loooooove to get into multiple page wall of texts replies, and endless debates, I don't think we have them around anymore.

Or maybe we do, I dunno. I don't read every thread, so I may have missed something.

Anyway, I don't understand all the tension here lately. Just "Take it eeeeeaaaasssyy" is my general advice, like the old classic Eagles song said. :biggrin:

I henceforth take the blame as I derailed and made another thread go off-topic. Anyway what can I say it's a special gift. I'm half joking no need to look at me like that.:p

I wish they had junked rtwp to start with in the game. Likewise in Pathfinder Kingmaker. Because I do think turn based is way, way superior a combat system, (IMHO) and as I have grown older, I now think rtwp makes less and less sense.

And then since they included rtwp, there are a lot of "junk" low level monster battles from the little I have played Path of Righteous so far, and its silly to do turn based on those trivial encounters, so just to prevent boredom I turned on rtwp for those silly battles, and then poof - over in a few seconds, monsters squished! (yay?)

If the game encounters were designed around turn based exclusively, it seems to me every battle could be designed to be a lot more fun and tactical and strategic. And sure, there would be less battles, but each one would be richer and more interesting. Again, all in my humble opinion.

They didn't include RTwP, they included TB. ;)

I don't think being RTwP means there has to be more junk battles. There are still junk battles in pretty much every TB game I've played. RTwP just allows for those battles to be over faster.

That's a fallacy I see a lot from fans of TB. (For the record, I like both systems.)

And we are back on topic of RTwP vs TB again sigh.

I'm a sad panda as I always see people wanting TB more than RTwP.

I will just have to treasure these rare RTwP games while they last since so many elitists seem to think RTwP is a trash.

Why can't we have both in the market?

But all businesses need to make profits so I guess RTwP will probably phase out - would love it if Owlcats continue to produce both but I doubt it.

/sad panda out.

Back on the topic - looking forward to more WotR session this weekend :D

The MC user score of WotR actually dropped to 7.7 now. It seems the longer the game is out, the more its user score drops - I believe it was 8.4 for a couple days at launch.

I wonder if this is because of the patches not being good enough, or people just finding the game loses appeal the longer they get into it. Maybe it's just people who actually waited to play more before giving an informed opinion.

Regarding your RTwP vs TB discussion: one of the greatest things about this game (and the new versions of Kingmaker) is that they are both and you can choose! At least as long as both modes work as they are intended.

More work for the devs and more difficult for level designers but perhaps that is the future of these kinds of games? BG3 would certainly benefit from the free choice too. As you say here, the chess marathons can go on nerves over time but it's nice to have some TB action in between to keep your brain trained.

Back
Top Bottom