Personal things you don't need to know

The purple blob has made really impressing (virtual) houses.

I have spent some time redecorating my den. Part of it is painting (coating) the floor. I have my exercise bike there, and the resulting sweating is a problem. The coating of the floor (until yesterday) was somewhat (to be honest very) worn down, and given that it's made of wood - ouch! For a while I used a water-proof carpet-like thingy, but that one quickly (and repeatedly) accumulated dirt and things falling to the floor (and difficult to clean). So, here comes new paint.

To ensure optimal protection against water and wear and tear, I went for composite epoxy paint this time. Now, as you know, applying that stuff requires close attention: Careful mixing of the correct amount of base paint and hardener. Careful calculating the amount of the stuff needed (since you can't use the leftovers at a later stage and it's very expensive) (I wasted 30% of what I prepared. And you don't have much time - according to the user manual, you ought to finish the job in 30 minutes, before the liquid ... coagulates. And (again according to the manual), applying said paint to your skin (probably also other body parts) is not recommended. So, while I usually for practical purposes only wear a pair of shorts when painting house surfaces, I had to cover as much of my body as possible (admittedly a bit less than biosafety 4, ebola protection level), which became (not exactly, but still) unbearable hot and sweaty. Poor pibbuR.

BTW, I'm sure some of you have more experience with epoxy coatings, and are more competent using it. And not as willing to exaggerate as yours truly.

The result - while not nearly as pretty as the works of 'blob, is fairly good, methinks. This is the result after the first stage (I'll repeat the procedure twice to make it even stronger).

IMG_20230702_120525.jpg

pibbuR who considers himself a (currently) 68 year old composite of more than two components (69 if you add 9 months of mixing).

PS. XKCD has of course a couple of comments when it comes to redecoration in general

graphic_designers.png

DS

Last edited:
This is why I love the nerdy humour of Honkai Star Rail so much : They actually have an achievement called "Day Of The Triffids". We worked through this book in our English language school lessons.

Attachments

• Day Of The Triffids.jpg
    Day Of The Triffids.jpg
    158.5 KB · Views: 1
Today I came across the term "vulnerable narcissism". I seriously begin to wonder whether I belong to this sub-type, especially after my posting here : https://rpgwatch.com/forum/threads/timothy-cain-new-videos.56112/post-1061722001

As far as I understand this, the "vulnerable narcissm" is a form in which people constantly believe that they are bad. So, it's the direct opposite of the narcisstic type like Trump, for example.

Here, this type is called "fragile/covert" : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Narcissistic_personality_disorder#Empirically_verified_subtypes

Phase 2 of my redecorating my den project i here: Painting the remainding parts of the floors. Computers (along with a rather chaotic spaghetti of wires), shelves and tables have been moved away, the floors have been sanded thoroughly and washed with ammonia. What remains is the easy part: mixing and applying the epoxy paint. Scheduled for tomorrow.

pibbuR the sandman
IMG_20230810_182409.jpg
PS. I tend to forget what comes next: putting everything back again, hopefully in a slightly more organized way. DS.

Perhaps you should mal out where the cables have been. ;)

The Alan Parsons Project : Ammonia Avenue.

My therapist told me last Wednesday : "I can reassure you that you are not a narcist." Well, he has more experience with psychotherapy than me ...

I have occasionally told you about the dangers of being a gadget in the household. Yesterday, another one bit the ... water. My cell phone accidently spent a short, but still significant time in the toilet. One might suspect this was intentionally because of
  1. A desire to destroy the thing. After all, I still regard cell phones as (now useful) gadgets from hell.
  2. A desire for a new one. My insurance covers accidents like that.
  3. Repetition. I've done it before.
It wasn't intentional because
  1. If I destroyed it, I know I wouldn't get rid of cellphones, I would have to buy a new one anyway (partly due to family policy)
  2. If getting a new phone, I would have bought exactly the same, a Fairphone 4.
  3. Due to embarrassment I hesitate to yet again present a cell-phone-has-been claim due to immersion (in polluted water) to the company
Now, since the gadget is a Fairphone, I could easily take almost everything apart, thus ensuring optimal drying conditions. And after 24h, I have (just as easily) put it all back together and it's working as intended.

pibbuR who again is a hap... eh ... an owner of a working phone device.

PS. Insurance companies report an increased number of theft claims whenever a new iPhone is released. Some customers get their claims rejected because 1) calling from the original phone number or 2) bragging about the scheme on social media. I'm really ... impressed ... by these customers. DS.

Last edited:
As someone who doesn't own a cell phone and who refuses to own a cell phone, I can empathise with your pain!! :)

Some personal things I didn't know.

It turns out that I'm a member of the Norwegian Progress party, the leader of the Bergen chapter of said party (2008-2012), and actually also a (deputy) member of parliament between 2009 and 2013. These days I'm the chairman of the Kahoot company, provider of educational games. (https://kahoot.com/home/) And I have 3 children.

This comes as a huge surprise to me, as I can't remember any of it. But, according to the one I until now thought was my eldest of two daughters (no sons), this is what Bing chat (professional version, recently bought by the university where she works) has to say about me.

pibbuR who also has learned that he has 10 % of the shares in the company, worth over 100 million USD. So maybe he can justify buying that 4090 after all.

Some personal things I didn't know.

It turns out that I'm a member of the Norwegian Progress party, the leader of the Bergen chapter of said party (2008-2012), and actually also a (deputy) member of parliament between 2009 and 2013. These days I'm the chairman of the Kahoot company, provider of educational games. (https://kahoot.com/home/) And I have 3 children.

This comes as a huge surprise to me, as I can't remember any of it. But, according to the one I until now thought was my eldest of two daughters (no sons), this is what Bing chat (professional version, recently bought by the university where she works) has to say about me.

pibbuR who also has learned that he has 10 % of the shares in the company, worth over 100 million USD. So maybe he can justify buying that 4090 after all.
Yes, AI opens new possibilities in life, even those you never asked for...:movingon:

Although I'm a very light drinker these days, in the past I.....consumed more. Well more than my share. Does anyone have any favourite bars/taverns/pubs/restaurants that they enjoy now or in the past? I will list my four favourites, in least to tops:

4. Ironworks, Fort McHenry, MD. My hangout back when I worked in Baltimore, we traded food from where I worked for booze. Everyone was happy!

3. Fletcher's Irish Pub, Ormand Beach, FL. Good vibes, great place to chill

2. Cactus Club, Edmonton, Alberta. Excellent food, staff were always super friendly.

1. Down the Hatch, Roscommon, Ireland. Not sure if I'll ever make it back there, this is tops for me, well, tied for tops with honorable mention....

Honorable Mention: Windows, WTC North. This was tops for me for over fifteen years, until, well, we all know. One of my mates worked with the PA (Guns and Hoses), he often scored us free food/drinks. Great memories, including being able to see New Jersey and feeling the building sway, even without a real strong breeze.

I always preferred cafés. A strong cup of cocoa/chocolate works wonders in a cold winter. Imho.

My oldest offered to make me this one:
what-doesnt-kill-you-only-makes-you-stronger-errr-v0-y3fkw2uow4w91.jpg

She made two mistakes.

She asked me if I wanted one.
She asked me if I wanted another bakground colour than pink.

pibbuR who will forgive her if she provides one properly coloured thingy.

PS. Don't want to insult anybody but it reminded me of Texas. DS

Last edited:
My oldest offered to make me this one:
what-doesnt-kill-you-only-makes-you-stronger-errr-v0-y3fkw2uow4w91.jpg

She made two mistakes.

She asked me if I wanted one.
She asked me iif I wanted another bakground colour than pink.

pibbuR who will forgive her if she provides one properly coloured thingy.

PS. Don't want to insult anybody but it reminded me of Texas. DS
Reminds me of politicians!

It's that time of year again. Temperatures below 273.16 at night => ice on windsshield in the morning. So I have to spend some time clearing it (to avoid hostile reactions from police or pedestrians close by, but invisible through said ice covered wind shield). Now snow yet, but given current temperatures (outside) any precipitation is likely to come down in a frozen state.

Yay!

I've posted pictures of the phenomenon before, don't bother doing it again. Just take my word for it.

pibbuR who assumes they don't have to worry about this down under now, since summer is approaching.

PS. A couple of years ago I was in San Antonio, Texas (are there other San Antonios over there?) for a week during winter. One night undercooled rain fell, resulting in thick layers of ice on surfaces, including roads. I noticed that shops were curiously under-staffed, and the reason was chaotic driving conditions. I suppose they don't have special tyres for winter down there.
DS.

PPS. BTW, for quite a lot also here winter conditions surprisingly come as a surprise, year after year. So when the first snow falls, and they try driving to work on summer tyres - ouch!!!! We made the switch at the beginning of the month. Be prepared. DS

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom