Rogue Trader - Gameplay Trailer

What's a "system"?
Think of game rules and larping when you play table-top games.

You add immersion by playing the character and fantasizing the world you live in. Owl-cat was interviewed on theses topics in the past. Table-top rules/play are a huge influence.

At the end of the day I play city builders and sim games so I'm not bothered.
But I guess for every gamer there are game features that for them are wasted ressources, like voice overs, romances, crafting etc.
I agree just look at BioWare and the discussions about romance. :nod:

Well, the guy thinks they're absolutely terrible, and he wonders why after the kingomd management that nobody liked and the crusade management that nobody liked, they still keep additional stuff like this.
Hopefully it's something that can be avoided at least some of the time.

The only positive thing I can say about it is that it doesn't seem as time consuming as the management aspects in the Pathfinder games.

Owl-cat hasn't said if there will not or be some type of management system in the game though. You are building a trade empire for the Imperium. So my money is there will be.

Found more impressions seems the alpha is just the prologue/first chapter.

At least we now know what the story is about. ^^
In the alpha you’ll create a character by choosing the key events in your character’s life to be recorded in a dossier evaluating them as a potential heir to the throne of the von Valancius Rogue Trader dynasty.

Your main quest involves reconnecting the primary worlds in your dynasty’s trade empire with the Imperium, but first you’ve got to find them. The star-chart is intimidatingly large and starts off totally blank – it’s up to you to discover new systems, and safe warp-routes to reach them.

Those systems might contain pirates to fight, resources to exploit, derelict vessels or mysterious locations to explore, or text-based encounters ranging from exploring a dead city to reconciling settlers and monks to found a new colony. Mercifully, there is no minigame for scanning planets. These are all in a provisional state, but it’s clear that Owlcat Games is building on its experience with dynasty management in Pathfinder: Kingmaker.

Last edited:
Your main quest involves reconnecting the primary worlds in your dynasty’s trade empire with the Imperium, but first you’ve got to find them. Your main quest involves reconnecting the primary worlds in your dynasty’s trade empire with the Imperium, but first you’ve got to find them.
The main quest must be pretty important. ;)

I don't understand why Owlcat Games insist on adding those undercooked meta-games, or rather, why they insist on making them such a poor experience in comparison. If only they put more effort when implementing them, perhaps it could become interesting, as long as the player doesn't have to spend too much time in it. The ideas in Kingmaker and WotR weren't bad, but the first was broken and the other was too basic and unfinished.

Let's hope they do it better this time, or at least make it optional without negative consequence for the player. I like the presentation though, I was afraid it would all be on the same map but this is looking nice.

I like the graphics style of the areas too.

The combat sounds boring according to Fextralife, which is more concerning. Is it boring when playing the tabletop version too?

Personally I enjoyed the kingdom management and crusade stuff. They could have been better implemented for sure but for me they added a lot to the game and w/out them the games would not have been as good. They added more depth to the story, helped you feel like you were actually becoming a king and taking over a kingdom or fighting a crusade. I wouldn't have enjoyed the games nearly as much if they had not been there. I do think they could have been better implemented. For one less time consuming with more focus on quality over quantity of events and battles.

Anyhow I found them to be a nice change of pace to these kind of games with additional things to do and more variety. I am on the fence on whether I will even get RT as the combination of TB only with the setting isn't a winning combination. I will follow and if looks like the story, companions, and other factors outweigh the negatives then will probably get.

I don't understand why Owlcat Games insist on adding those undercooked meta-games, or rather, why they insist on making them such a poor experience in comparison.
I think they want to stand out in comparison to the many other partybased RPGs. However I think that's not necessary because the core of their games is so good that they stand out on their own.

I'm surprised noone mentioned the planet scanning for ressources yet. :D

I get the part about adding something more to the game, it's just that they can't possibly hope to stand out with so little effort put in it, especially in contrast with the outstanding gameplay system.

I liked Kingmaker's kingdom management but there were many flaws, for example the player had to spend hours in the kingdom management at some point because it was blocking the main quest, or the advisor's attributes were conflicting with the characters' class (this one may have been a flaw in the original campaign though).

Maybe the planet scanning and wealth/trade management are other systems too. It could be interesting.

I could definitely do without the tedious mini games. They detract from the experience, for me.

Just got email about the alpha being active now...activated my key (from collector's edition) and downloading now. I don't normally screw around with alpha/beta versions of RPGs at all, but given the all-new setting I'm tempted to take a quick look at this...

I liked Kingmaker's kingdom management but there were many flaws, for example the player had to spend hours in the kingdom management at some point because it was blocking the main quest, or the advisor's attributes were conflicting with the characters' class (this one may have been a flaw in the original campaign though).
The player can always set kingdom management to auto and choose the "Invincible kingdom" option if they don't want to deal with that layer. Not sure if WotR has an equivalent feature, but I'm guessing it does.

Just got email about the alpha being active now...activated my key (from collector's edition) and downloading now. I don't normally screw around with alpha/beta versions of RPGs at all, but given the all-new setting I'm tempted to take a quick look at this...
Do it. :)

The player can always set kingdom management to auto and choose the "Invincible kingdom" option if they don't want to deal with that layer. Not sure if WotR has an equivalent feature, but I'm guessing it does.
It used to be unreliable in Kingmaker, but perhaps they've finally fixed it. And I have no idea if it works correctly in WotR, I never tried. All I know is that disabling it prevents the player from getting all the special loot earned with the crusader combat. So there is a cost for not playing the full game.

Wow this thread went popular while I was alseep lol.

Ok, soooo I had to keep it a secret but I already had my key for few days and played a little (I think about 10 hours?)

I can't give you much impression yet because I'm still at early stages of the alpha.

Devs said the alpha should be about 50 hours and sure enough, one person is about to finish alpha at 49 hour mark.

There's very basic character creation in alpha and it starts at chapter 2. I'm spending so much time trying to understand class building because we start at level 15 and already given abilities that I'm not familiar with. A massive negative for me is, UI is very messy and hard to find info I need. I really dislike it.

There are a lot of combat and it is more time consuming than Pathfinder games as it is TB. Surprisingly, I'm enjoying it somewhat. The abilities each chracter has varies and you have to utilise it well to win. However, I hate the fact you can't move after attacking even tho I haven't spent any movement points. Also, I wish they give us a surprise round to reorganisd position like in Expeditions games. Also, too many enemies - I haven't really encountered any "boss fights" and its been just waves of trashes.

I'm finding inventory management weird as well. Unless I missed something, you can only sell things that's been transferred to cargo, not directly from your inventory.

Companions are well written but given the setting, I'm not bonding with them as well as Pathfinder companions. I got 8 companions so far.

Space scanning and travel is rather interesting. While I can't say same for space combat. Its just additional TB combat and less interesting than crusade combat - but keep in mind, this hasn't been fully fleshed out yet.

That's all for now!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom