Shroud of the Avatar - Capital City of Brittany

Indeed Pongo, I have no issues with the graphics. The game itself, however, is still basically just a giant question mark. I'm not even sure what they're aiming for anymore.

Yeah. It's not inspiring when a project doesn't seem to have a real goal...just meandering from one thing to another. I was excited about the game, and I suppose I still am in some small way (someone got it for me as a gift and I'd still like to try it), but the project itself doesn't inspire a whole lot of confidence.

Yeah. It's not inspiring when a project doesn't seem to have a real goal…just meandering from one thing to another. I was excited about the game, and I suppose I still am in some small way (someone got it for me as a gift and I'd still like to try it), but the project itself doesn't inspire a whole lot of confidence.

Yeah, I've been following it on and off for quite some time, and right now the whole thing is mostly confusing.

Well, I have followed it for a long time, and been very vocal in calling them out on changed priorities for things like PoT's.(player owned towns). I can no longer question them in their forums however as they have decided that I wasn't one of the people they wanted questioning them.

They quite literally changed course after the kickstarter to this weird UO clone that isn't UO. They distanced themselves from having a storyline based world that you can play with others. Now, they want the players to make the world...with a little interaction with some lore.

They plan on having 3 storylines you can follow for some mishmash of virtues they have created...I think love, courage and truth....only one will be done by July with the rest by dec(doubt it). They don't really answer questions about single player anymore and they play very strong favorites with their MMO crowd to the point of allowing them to control moderation on their forums.

Like Gothic said, I also get angry when I see what they have done and the BS they spread about listening to everyone as it isn't a true statement at all. If you don't fit in their Renaissance dress up group you basically don't belong.

I was a huge fan of Garriott growing up, now I'm pissed at him for cash cowing this.

This game is a far cry from when I first fired up Ultima three back in the eighties. My, how the times have changed, and not for the better. I'm not demanding a refund as of yet, but I highly doubt I'll ever give another penny to a Garriott project. Ever. I'd give money to McQuaid ten times faster, at least I'd know where it would go!

I doubt if it will ever be released, or at least a successful release.

It will not sell well at all due to the very negative feedback (see Steam for example) and poor state of development, and hence will be a media circus if released, and they will never be able to sustain improvements/developments.

I'm not demanding a refund as of yet, but I highly doubt I'll ever give another penny to a Garriott project. Ever.
I just wanted to write "same here" before I remembered for the 10th time that I haven't even backed this. Dodged a bullet.

They pitched this as a spiritual successor to Ultima, with a focus on the single player game mode that the player could choose to integrate with the online aspects of the game, or ignore them.

Immediately after the kickstarter ended, they completely switched direction to instead being a spiritual successor to Ultima ONLINE, with focus entirely on the MMO aspects, which is pretty much the sole visible focus of development. We haven't heard much about the single player aspects, nor seen any evidence of them, in the years since the game has been in development. They seem to have attracted primarily an audience of nostalgic former UO users who are the audience they are now catering to, especially since they can monetize the virtual MMO crap.

I will be greatly surprised if any single player "game" we eventually see is anything more than something slapped together as an afterthought to appease the single player RPG crowd they suckered with the original pitch.

Greatly disappointed with Lord British. I guess you just can't go home again. We want something he has no interest in creating.

I doubt if it will ever be released, or at least a successful release.

It will not sell well at all due to the very negative feedback (see Steam for example) and poor state of development, and hence will be a media circus if released, and they will never be able to sustain improvements/developments.
So, the question arises: What comes first, Shroud or Grimoire? (Or... "Shroud of the Grimoire")

Pibbur who btw thinks it will be released, but who in the foreserable future will make no predictions. About anything.

Last edited:
I just wanted to write "same here" before I remembered for the 10th time that I haven't even backed this. Dodged a bullet.

It's the other way round for me, I voiced concerns from the beginning and I said if Garriot fucks this up his legend will be ruined for good (after Ultima VIII and IX). But then I still pledged.

I was a backer since the kickstarter (and I pledged more for this kickstarter than any other). Logged in this month after more than a year. I see the potential, I want to be optimistic, but it still is in pre-alpha after 3 years. They are nowhere close to being ready for a final wipe in July. They made a big mistake to release this on early access on steam. There is no game per se. It's just a giant sandbox world that they are still working on and nowhere close to being done. So yes, there is a lot of potential, but I don't think they will live up to it any time soon, if ever.

Why do you think this was a mistake?

Because it was nowhere near ready when it was released on early access last year. It still is in pre alpha. There is barely any gameplay right now, it was even worse when it was released on steam. Hence all the horrible reviews on steam. It's like they are shooting themselves in the foot. They released the game on early access long before there was an actual game to play.

Hence all the horrible reviews on steam.
Ah, I see. Didn't know that it has such a devestating score.
It's like they are shooting themselves in the foot.
Yep, in more than one way.

I backed it.Didnt do much of the world building. Was excited by the crafting for a while. I spent a lot of time fighting and trying to explore but sadly enough, most of the zones are empty towns and the combat is enough to put you to sleep.
I think they figured that the single player people would be happy playing a Mmo by themselves. The only thing about that is it is a boring grind and even the Mmo emulators are more fun because at least they have content
Fluent, stay very far away unless someone gifts it to you.

I backed it.Didnt do much of the world building. Was excited by the crafting for a while. I spent a lot of time fighting and trying to explore but sadly enough, most of the zones are empty towns and the combat is enough to put you to sleep.
I think they figured that the single player people would be happy playing a Mmo by themselves. The only thing about that is it is a boring grind and even the Mmo emulators are more fun because at least they have content
Fluent, stay very far away unless someone gifts it to you.

If only someone who was interested in Single player let them know that it would backfire....wait, they banned him as well as others who said the same thing. They don't give a crap, they want you to play fantasy tea party with richard Garriott...one of the threads on the forums literally had looking for a in game band to join, I guess tea is better with fan music.

I didn't really plan on getting near until there was definitive evidence that some sort of single-player game existed here.

However, I'm not exactly anti-MMORPG. I have played and greatly enjoyed several MMORPGs over the years. So, who knows. I think either way this game is far from cooked fully yet, so I'll check back in 6 months or something. :p

Couldnt agree more with you Rune but there are so many more and better things to do and better games. I need to have a game capture my attention lately, make me go wow now and then. There was none of that for me.

Couldnt agree more with you Rune but there are so many more and better things to do and better games. I need to have a game capture my attention lately, make me go wow now and then. There was none of that for me.

Something that was also told to them, Player owned towns took any good will left in the game out....I was completely blown away that they would waste resources on that.

Back
Top Bottom