Shroud of the Avatar - Running out of Cash?

I'll do it for a third and I'll also take debit cards.

hah, but would it be of solid gold like Garriott's?

I think that this is an exceptional case where a law should be established to protect fools.

So sales of virtual estate should come with small writing warning fools that they will be prosecuted for the sake of humanity for their actions.

No reason to bring the law into this. If you pledge for a crowd-funded game - you're taking a chance. Everyone knows this. It's part of the package.

I took a chance on this and wasted some money. I've taken many chances - and most of them have paid off.

If you're not willing to risk - don't risk. It's that simple.

No reason to bring the law into this. If you pledge for a crowd-funded game - you're taking a chance. Everyone knows this. It's part of the package.

I was referring to virtual estate sales following crowdfunding.

I also took the chance in this one and lost money.

Had they just delivered that singleplayer rpg akin to Ultimas, everyone would have been happy. Instead they chose to do this mmo crap.

Had they just delivered that singleplayer rpg akin to Ultimas, everyone would have been happy. Instead they chose to do this mmo crap.

I wouldn't have been happy - as I wanted the hybrid. In fact, I think most MMO fans do.

If you don't want an MMO - then you probably shouldn't back a game that's clearly marketed as an MMO.

If you don't want an MMO - then you probably shouldn't back a game that's clearly marketed as an MMO.
This has already been discussed to death here in the past (before you starting posting again), but you're completely wrong there. I don't personally care to rehash everything, but really you don't have to look any farther than the FAQ from the Kickstarter campaign:

Q: Will this be a MMO? Can I play with my friends?

A: Yes, you will be able to play with your friends! Multiplayer games encourage social bonds that go far beyond what can be accomplished in a solo player game. I remember the depth of these bonds in players who met in-game only to get married in real life, how people who died in the real world were deeply mourned and celebrated by their online friends whom they may never have met face to face. Though Shroud of the Avatar won’t be a massively multiplayer online role playing game, it will be a multiplayer game. We will be describing this in more detail in our upcoming community blogs.

This has already been discussed to death here in the past (before you starting posting again), but you're completely wrong there. You don't have to look any farther than the FAQ from the Kickstarter campaign:

Q: Will this be a MMO? Can I play with my friends?

A: Yes, you will be able to play with your friends! Multiplayer games encourage social bonds that go far beyond what can be accomplished in a solo player game. I remember the depth of these bonds in players who met in-game only to get married in real life, how people who died in the real world were deeply mourned and celebrated by their online friends whom they may never have met face to face. Though Shroud of the Avatar won’t be a massively multiplayer online role playing game, it will be a multiplayer game. We will be describing this in more detail in our upcoming community blogs.

The distinction is utterly pointless for the purposes of this discussion.

Someone claimed they should have focused on the singleplayer nature of the game and "everyone" would be happy.

I'm saying I wanted the hybrid between single and multiplayer.

Also, they can use whatever words they want - the fact is that it IS an MMO and always was an MMO. We're talking dozens if not hundreds (thousands?) of people in the same world.

How is that NOT an MMO? When does multi become massively multi?

Nothing has changed AFAIK in terms of the original plan and the current plan in that way.

The problem is the execution, not the plan.

You said the game was "clearly marketed as an MMO". So by denying that it's an MMO, they're marketing it as an MMO? That's a rather peculiar marketing strategy. Too edgy and innovative for a simple mind like mine, perhaps?

Anyway, I agree, it was never marketed as a true single-player experience. And probably plenty of the Ultima Online crowd were "in on the joke" that it would really just morph into a full-blown MMO, and pledged knowing that. And others (like you apparently) wanted the hybrid - the one that was actually promised. So yeah, contrary to what a previous poster said…if he'd delivered a great single-player game, I don't think it's at all true that everyone would have been happy.

You said the game was "clearly marketed as an MMO". So by denying that it's an MMO, they're marketing it as an MMO? That's a rather peculiar marketing strategy. Too edgy and innovative for a simple mind like mine, perhaps?

Let me repeat. The MMO part wasn't the essential part of my point. The essential part of my point was the MULTIPLAYER part. Meaning, it was NEVER EVER marketed as a singleplayer game - but as a hybrid singleplayer/multiplayer game. That's exactly what it still is.

Also, I think you and I both know that whatever they call it - it's an MMO in-so-far as the multiplayer aspect is concerned, and that's how it was presented and marketed, regardless of wordplay.

Anyway, I agree, it was never marketed as a true single-player experience. And probably plenty of the Ultima Online crowd were "in on the joke" that it would really just morph into a full-blown MMO, and pledged knowing that. And some others like you wanted the hybrid maybe. So yeah, contrary to what a previous poster said…if he'd delivered a great single-player game, I don't think it's at all true that everyone would have been happy.

Exactly :)

If it had been marketed as a single player game, I would have backed it. I didn't.

Let me repeat. The MMO part wasn't the essential part of my point. The essential part of my point was the MULTIPLAYER part.
Meh, the game is MMO.
Whoever believes it's not, based on Kickstarter lies, good for them.

It doesn't have enough players to qualify as massive. ;)

Ttrue, but that wasn't the (master) plan.

I wouldn't have been happy - as I wanted the hybrid. In fact, I think most MMO fans do.

I didn't back it actually, but I'd have loved to see a modern ultima. So I almost backed it, but saw too many warning signs. However I think many people here backed it because of the singleplayer content.

I didn't back it actually, but I'd have loved to see a modern ultima. So I almost backed it, but saw too many warning signs. However I think many people here backed it because of the singleplayer content.

Not sure how many backed it here, but we definitely don't represent the average gamer.

Also, the Watch is famously xenophobic when it comes to playing games. I'm one of the few multiplayer fans around here.

Well, it was supposed to play like a single player game that you could play with friends.....something akin to NWN I would have thought.

It was never shown to play like say UO2.

Back
Top Bottom