Shroud of the Avatar - Running out of Cash?

Had they just delivered that singleplayer rpg akin to Ultimas, everyone would have been happy. Instead they chose to do this mmo crap.

You can't debate this. This is absolute fact. This is why it shocks me people still gave money on the hopeful fantasy that it would be single player. When was the last time LB/RG made a single player game? 1999 - and what was his opinion of games after that?

I wouldn't have been happy - as I wanted the hybrid. In fact, I think most MMO fans do.

If you don't want an MMO - then you probably shouldn't back a game that's clearly marketed as an MMO.

Had they just delivered that singleplayer rpg akin to Ultimas, everyone would have been happy. Instead they chose to do this mmo crap.

This has already been discussed to death here in the past (before you starting posting again), but you're completely wrong there. I don't personally care to rehash everything, but really you don't have to look any farther than the FAQ from the Kickstarter campaign:

Q: Will this be a MMO? Can I play with my friends?

A: Yes, you will be able to play with your friends! Multiplayer games encourage social bonds that go far beyond what can be accomplished in a solo player game. I remember the depth of these bonds in players who met in-game only to get married in real life, how people who died in the real world were deeply mourned and celebrated by their online friends whom they may never have met face to face. Though Shroud of the Avatar won’t be a massively multiplayer online role playing game, it will be a multiplayer game. We will be describing this in more detail in our upcoming community blogs.

In a court of law, this trumps everything. Re: Boston Bruins lawsuit against Bill Wirth and the Bobby Orr fiasco.

That said, their original vision might have been a little different different from the mmo, or the standard mmo as we know - then they obviously backpedaled - and it was obvious they would.

The very first thing I heard about this game, was that it was going to be a spiritual successor to U7. I don't remember anything about an MMO or multiplayer until later during the kickstarter campaign.

Well, to be fair, it was pitched with multiplayer from the start as we can see from the KS page here and also in the FAQ .

There is, of course, no excuse for how shitty RG has run the project and how single player (online/offline, I don't care... any single player matching the Ultima experience would do for starters, I think) seems to have completely been swept under the rug subsequently while in the beginning it seemed there might be about an equal focus.

This one and Star Citizen are the two projects I regret backing the most but mistakes of this magnitude won't happen again.

You can't debate this. This is absolute fact. This is why it shocks me people still gave money on the hopeful fantasy that it would be single player. When was the last time LB/RG made a single player game? 1999 - and what was his opinion of games after that?

Can't debate what?

fff first post and I manage to make it in the wrong thread

-_-

Last edited:
Well, to be fair, it was pitched with multiplayer from the start as we can see from the KS page here and also in the FAQ .

There is, of course, no excuse for how shitty RG has run the project and how single player (online/offline, I don't care… any single player matching the Ultima experience would do for starters, I think) seems to have completely been swept under the rug subsequently while in the beginning it seemed there might be about an equal focus.

This one and Star Citizen are the two projects I regret backing the most but mistakes of this magnitude won't happen again.

There is a difference between MP and MMO....it was sold as not an MMO on the kickstarter so many of us thought it would be along the lines of something like neverwinter where you could play with others....a single player narrative you can play with friends.

Back
Top Bottom