Shroud of the Avatar - Single Player Features

Here is a recent reply from the SoTA comm manager on Steam:

http://steamcommunity.com/app/326160/discussions/0/618453594763924113/#c618453594764572281

Rune: I am glad that you and others are enjoying these custom made items, but my worry is that these bespoke developments may be diverting valuable resources away from the single player offline development (or not according to the community manager!).

Edit: by the way, that Steam thread leads to your original post about the release of the offline content details.

What's this? Rune replying in a civil, non-aggressive manner, and not being hostile towards anyone who doesn't share his exact opinion? Not even a hint of trying to start an argument with some arrogant, condescending remark?

These are strange times indeed...but very welcome!

Before I say something I will regret, best of luck with this game to anyone who is interested in it. I am very glad I didn't back it and I will just stop posting any of my thoughts on this games as it is surely does not interest me in any way.

BEST of LUCK if any part of the single player game working on any level other than.....

LOL it's just like I said, this is going to be an incomplete afterthought. Seriously, do you think they're going to be more motivated to make an MP game filled with microtransactions which bring in continuously more revenue, or a SP game that doesn't generate revenue long term? This is a question that doesn't need an answer.

I now deeply regret having funded it. Not to mention that Richard Garriott is a very rich man; he didn't need to request money from the community when there are poor indie developers who truly needed it.

LOL it's just like I said, this is going to be an incomplete afterthought. Seriously, do you think they're going to be more motivated to make an MP game filled with microtransactions which bring in continuously more revenue, or a SP game that doesn't generate revenue long term? This is a question that doesn't need an answer.

I now deeply regret having funded it. Not to mention that Richard Garriott is a very rich man; he didn't need to request money from the community when there are poor indie developers who truly needed it.

Once again you have proven you really don't know much about what you are talking about. I'm not sure why they cannot aim for both the single player and the multiplayer. Needless to say, I'm just going off what I have seen and actually played instead of make believe.

For reference on Richard being rich and he didn't need money, well maybe he is rich but he has invested a significant amount into the game from his own money. None of the money invested in this game from fans took anything from any indie dev....

About single player online rune... in your opinion, does player housing blend in or does it distract from the game world? I have heard both opinions. That it makes towns and villages more bigger and more interesting and that there is just too much of it and that player has to wade through miles of player housing to get to the game hubs.

But won't this just be a single player game with MMO button cool down combat? Or do you somehow control the MMO trinity party?

But won't this just be a single player game with MMO button cool down combat? Or do you somehow control the MMO trinity party?

Ahhh, this one I can answer a bit. This isn't the normal mmo combat people are used to. It is a card based system(best way to describe it) You have a set deck of skills that you put together for your character which you can add more then one of each to increase the odds that it comes up. What this allows is for your skill bar to have different skills available at different times, which makes designing a competent character that plays to your skills interesting.

There are a lot of threads on how that works and some good videos...like this one(which is out of date but gives a general idea):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEUKIDGvleQ

or the new players guide:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcnNEnsnriw

About single player online rune… in your opinion, does player housing blend in or does it distract from the game world? I have heard both opinions. That it makes towns and villages more bigger and more interesting and that there is just too much of it and that player has to wade through miles of player housing to get to the game hubs.

Yes, I totally understand what you are asking. I have fought against them allowing crazy designs like stacking items high in the sky....which they have seem to crack down on a lot.

I was wandering the world the other day and did a welcome quest(a quest put on by some big guilds to show off their player owned towns) where they took us around to show us different things. All the houses I saw in there added to the game and it looked fantastic. You will always have those few that don't do it well but the ones that do really add.

That's another thing to think about...single player online will also give you access to a lot more cities...mine you they will really only have player vendors but they say the best items in the game will be crafted. The interesting point on this is that a crafted item can end up in a monsters inventory as treasure.

This sure really sound like a compelling environment for a single player RPG based off your descriptions.

Man, if you have nothing nice to say or are not interested I'm not sure your point?

… I really don't see how it can be released this year when they have yet to begin work on the SP component. After all, what state will it be in? I fear it will be a tacked on after thought!!

This concerns me as well. The single player campaign should've been completed before the multiplayer component. The problem is that MMOs are never finished… They are always a work in progress as more features, items and quests are added.

This concerns me as well. The single player campaign should've been completed before the multiplayer component. The problem is that MMOs are never finished… They are always a work in progress as more features, items and quests are added.

It's being worked on as well, just not open to us the general players at the moment. Their theory was to get the systems in and working as the ground work, which you can't really fault them for.

Man, if you have nothing nice to say or are not interested I'm not sure your point?

Really only people that are going to praise this game or any other game should voice their opinion. So maybe he and a lot of think we were sold magic beans on this game.

About single player online rune… in your opinion, does player housing blend in or does it distract from the game world? I have heard both opinions. That it makes towns and villages more bigger and more interesting and that there is just too much of it and that player has to wade through miles of player housing to get to the game hubs.

Right now there isn't much of anything. All zones are tiny and heavily instanced. You might as well be playing single player. Most towns don't even have NPCs. The overland map does look nicer but its looks like something out of Mount and Blade. I am trying to like it but right now it's not even fun. It's barely even an alpha. I'm hoping this is true or I am going to be heavily disappointed.

I can't imagine how single player online should work with the buildings created by players. When the player character's participating in your game, the settlements with player buildings will be empty and won't feel alive. I can't imagine them automatically generaring NPC inhabiting these buildings where this will make the settlement feel alive.
Considering immersion this just won't work.

I can't imagine how single player online should work with the buildings created by players. When the player character's participating in your game, the settlements with player buildings will be empty and won't feel alive. I can't imagine them automatically generaring NPC inhabiting these buildings where this will make the settlement feel alive.
Considering immersion this just won't work.

Well they will be in game, the house and their servants will be there.

Will the be empty of people other then that...pretty sure they will be. There are NPC's walking around.

Right now there isn't much of anything. All zones are tiny and heavily instanced. You might as well be playing single player. Most towns don't even have NPCs. The overland map does look nicer but its looks like something out of Mount and Blade. I am trying to like it but right now it's not even fun. It's barely even an alpha. I'm hoping this is true or I am going to be heavily disappointed.

I can agree with some points in there not being many NPC's yet...not all instances are really tiny, some are though but it feels as if the newer ones are going away from that.

As for the map? Have you seen the new pictures from the changes? It doesn't look like mount and blade at all...you have to remember what you are seeing is proof of concept. Your right it is barely in alpha, since well it's clearly stated it's pre alpha.

The deck/card based combat is a pretty terrible idea for this kind of game, in my opinion. Everything about the current version screams that it won't be ready for at least a year, and what's actually there is extremely rough.

Can't say I'm too optimistic about this one, but I'll wait until release before I say anything final.

The deck/card based combat is a pretty terrible idea for this kind of game, in my opinion. Everything about the current version screams that it won't be ready for at least a year, and what's actually there is extremely rough.

Can't say I'm too optimistic about this one, but I'll wait until release before I say anything final.

The year part is exactly what I said....the deck system works well, at least I think so.

Back
Top Bottom