Tech news

In the (unlikely?) case that some of you are missing Microsoft products, here's:

pibbuR who misses OS/2 (yes, he used it, admittedly the IBM version, from version 1.0 to the bitter end.).

PS. The site sadly doesn't seem to provide download links, just obituaries. DS

To those of you who still doesn't see the light when it comes to Win11 (Alrik should appreciate this :) ):

pibbuR who have had problems with the German railway system, but to be honest, that was caused by the efficiency of Deutsche Bahn.

PS: Another piece of nostalgia: CODE: 30 Years Ago https://www.codemag.com/Article/2401021/CODE-30-Years-Ago DS.

Last edited:
Soon you can power your laptop by screaming at it:

pibbuR who admits that for once he's exaggerating (and still remembers the spelling of the word).

To those of you who still doesn't see the light when it comes to Win11 (Alrik should appreciate this :) ):

pibbuR who have had problems with the German railway system, but to be honest, that was caused by the efficiency of Deutsche Bahn.

PS: Another piece of nostalgia: CODE: 30 Years Ago https://www.codemag.com/Article/2401021/CODE-30-Years-Ago DS.
German banks used to run OS/2 on their cash dispensers for a very looooooooooong time ...

Some computer theory (of very little practical use, so not really tech news):

It's Turing complete so it can do everything a computer can do (according to rumour - created by me, they're already working to implement Quake).

So...
"if you had a very large piece of paper and lots of time on your hands, you could use origami to calculate arbitrarily many digits of π, determine the optimal way to route every delivery driver in the world, or run a program to predict the weather"

But admittedly
"An origami computer would be massively inefficient and impractical"

pibbuR who of course nevertheless would like to try making one

Comment by CodeProject: "We'll finally be able to get that sandwich!"

Which of course derives from:
sandwich.png

pibbuR who really appreciate the geeki(nerdi)ness of the above mentioned website (the one with the quote)

Some good news (at least in my eyes):

"The rules require spare parts to be available at reasonable prices, and product makers will be prohibited from using "contractual, hardware or software related barriers to repair, such as impeding the use of second-hand, compatible and 3D-printed spare parts by independent repairers"

"The overarching goal as stated by the Commission is to overcome "obstacles that discourage consumers to repair due to inconvenience, lack of transparency or difficult access to repair services."

pibbuR

Smart toothbrushes were hacked and caused million's in damages.

Smart toothbrushes were hacked and caused million's in damages.
This isn't true, apparently. (direct link if the preview below fails)

Last edited:
Strange. If you click on the link it leads to the post you wanted to refer to. But what is shown is another post.

pibbuR who knows nothing.

Yeah it's showing a preview of the first post on the page he linked to, rather than the specific post he linked to on that page.

@pibbuR @Stingray Thanks for the heads-up. Maybe you're both using something else than the legacy 12px? That's a forum bug we discussed when the site was moved here with the new engine. By 'luck', it works for me with legacy 12px, but maybe not for everyone or for different themes, for some reason.

I opened the link in incognito mode, which has a default Fluid theme, and I briefly saw PibbuR's post, then it jumped at the top of the page (and remained there if I refreshed or reloaded the same link). It also switched from dark to light...

EDIT: I reported it here (link - that may or may not work ;)). Maybe you don't see the redirect but something else?

Last edited:
Does this mean that smart toothbrushes can do damage INSIDE THE MOUTHS ???

@pibbuR @Stingray Thanks for the heads-up. Maybe you're both using something else than the legacy 12px? That's a forum bug we discussed when the site was moved here with the new engine. By 'luck', it works for me with legacy 12px, but maybe not for everyone or for different themes, for some reason.

I opened the link in incognito mode, which has a default Fluid theme, and I briefly saw PibbuR's post, then it jumped at the top of the page (and remained there if I refreshed or reloaded the same link). It also switched from dark to light...

EDIT: I reported it here (link - that may or may not work ;)). Maybe you don't see the redirect but something else?
No, I switched to legacy and nothing is different. Think you might have misunderstood what we were saying though. Your link works fine (at least for me), the only issue is the preview text is wrong:

img.png

Interesting. It also points to the first post of that page.

I tried to watch this thread in Dark Fluid, but I don't see the problem I get in incognito. Though it jumps to a random offset each time I refresh, after following the link.

There're definitely a series of bugs, there.

Back
Top Bottom