The TV Series discussion thread

Does anyone have recommendation for any lowkey scifi gems like "The 100." I know it got really bad in later seasons, but what a ride till then. I'm looking for something fast-paced and sucks you in. The most recent ones I watched were the Foundation (fantastic), and Halo (pretty great), and Arcane (pretty decent, not really scifi though). Andor was a little too slow for me, same with Obi-Wan and Boba Fett. Anything older I missed, even lower quality stuff?
Dark Matter (got cancelled just as it REALLY got going, but has some good moments and some intriguing mysteries until then)
Killjoys (thoroughly enjoyed this to begin with, but the last season or so was a bit lacking. At least it got a proper ending, but kinda wish Dark Matter had been continued instead...)
Defiance (mostly got into this due to its MMO tie-in. It has boobies)

Dark Matter (got cancelled just as it REALLY got going, but has some good moments and some intriguing mysteries until then)
Killjoys (thoroughly enjoyed this to begin with, but the last season or so was a bit lacking. At least it got a proper ending, but kinda wish Dark Matter had been continued instead...)
Defiance (mostly got into this due to its MMO tie-in. It has boobies)
Great choices, especially Dark Matter. I watched them all. Same with Expanse (fantastic), Humans, etc. I tried to watch Paper Girls recently but one episode near way in got really bad and really frustrating, and I had to stop.

I looked up some new ones. Anyone ever watch and recommend any of these? The Rig, Outer Range, From, Soulmates, Night Sky, The Peripheral, The Feed. Some of them don't look or sound very scifi, but a cnet article tells me they are.

Anyone ever watch and recommend any of these? The Rig, Outer Range, From, Soulmates, Night Sky, The Peripheral, The Feed.
I haven't but there's a few there I'm interested in (esp. The Peripheral - based on a William Gibson novel). I've never heard of Soulmates or The Feed (must investigate).

I saw the Rig, the story and acting weren't bad, yet it could have use more editing. Outer Range has some meandering plots, the overall story isn't bad, not sure I'd be back for a second series, though. From started off rather well then got a bit wonky for me, those are the ones I've viewed to date.

I did a search for shows like 100 and a show called Tribes of Europa came up. A lot of the reviews on IMDB compared it to the 100. I'll probably check this out next, but a new season of You came out and my girlfriend loves that show so I'll give it a shot after You is finished.

I looked up some new ones. Anyone ever watch and recommend any of these? The Rig, Outer Range, From, Soulmates, Night Sky, The Peripheral, The Feed. Some of them don't look or sound very scifi, but a cnet article tells me they are.
I just finished watching the Peripheral. I'd say it's okay but it gets kind of confusing as it progresses - some plot stuff doesn't add up and is just brushed over. It has a bit of a dystopian touch to it. The main characters also didn't do a whole lot for me.

I also watched Night Sky not too long ago, and enjoyed that a bit better than the Peripheral. It's got a better cast at least, imo. It's quite low on the sci-fi scale though.

I checked out The Handmaid's Tale after a friend suggested it. Watched the first 3 episodes last night. It's an interesting premise, but I'm not sure if it really grabbed me.

I liked Night Sky and was surprised it didn't get a second series. While not as good as, say, Counterpart, the premise was intriguing.

I'm keeping up with American Rust and really enjoying the show. I'll be watching episode eight sometime this weekend, getting close to the finish and wondering how it might all resolve!

And I watched the first episode of Picard last night, the third series, and wow.....why weren't the other two series done in a similar way? Because this is Trek worth watching, at least so far. I find it more comparable to Strange New Worlds and very unlike Discovery, and I mean that as a high compliment.

I just spend all morning watching the series "Almost Human" again. What a great series. Such a shame it didn't get more seasons. Watching Keith Urban has gotten me in the mood to watch Dredd again.

Last edited:
One episode away from finishing S3 of The Wire, and man what an intense episode.
Stringer Bell gets his comeuppance

It's been a good season, especially the second half. The first half felt a lot more directionless than the other two seasons, so I was worried it wouldn't deliver.
But all in all I think, so far at least, the third one might be my least favorite? But I'm not sure, it's very hard to compare all of them.
IIRC I had a similar reaction to season 2. It took a while to get going, and then it got really good.
I hear a lot consider season 4 to be their favorite, so I'm excited for that one.

I've only one episode left in American Rust, overall I've been impressed with the first series, and I doubt the finale will change that. It's pretty bleak though, I'm still waiting for something positive to happen for at least one of the characters, lol.

Saw episode 6 of The Last of Us.
It's up there with ep 1 as my most favorite so far.
Even though it was 60min it was chock-full of meaningful events and had great pacing.
I also loved the vulnerability that Joel displays.
I wanted to watch it last night but I was exhausted. I thought it was better to save until I wasn't half asleep.

Back
Top Bottom