The TV Series discussion thread

"Ripley". Was surprisingly good. Use of monochrome gives it a good atmosphere. Noir in style, I believe it's called.

Sad. But with this Q&A we got confirmation that they are looking into a season 4 of Twin Peaks.
I thought Season 3 seemed kind of final, but I'd definitely watch a fourth season if they made it.
What's kind of shocking is all the shit and shovel-media that Netflix is funding and they can't find it to fund Lynch's work.
What the actual fuck.
Maybe he's not woke enough for Netflix.

Maybe he's not woke enough for Netflix.
woke, adjective: aware of and actively attentive to important societal facts and issues (especially issues of racial and social justice)

Being woke is 100% a positive attribute that people should aspire to. It is easy to make an assessment of those who are not woke. Some of them wear white pointy hats.

woke, adjective: aware of and actively attentive to important societal facts and issues (especially issues of racial and social justice)

Being woke is 100% a positive attribute that people should aspire to. It is easy to make an assessment of those who are not woke. Some of them wear white pointy hats.
Without going too political on the topic, I'm more middle of the road on the woke topic.

I have no issue with being woke. The only issue I have is when we miss the fact that out of those important societal facts, class and economic standing is absolutely the most important and the one criteria that will impact the most people, improving their lives. A lot of rich private interests are all for being woke, as long as it doesn't impact their bottom line or pockets. So class and economic status is never among those facts. Or if it, it's towards the bottom. After a lot of other layers. That's why I laugh when I hear some saying corporations are woke. The only woke they are are on social issues, and never on economic ones. On the economics they're as "right-wing" and conservative as possible. And even on those social ones they aren't woke. They're simply responding to their perceived alignment of the market and what the most vocal people out there are.

Last edited:
I'm actually fine with the concept of woke. It's when it leads to stuff like this that I start to question things...

Vikings.jpg

Usually I embrace being "woke" because of the sorts of things people on the right ascribe to that descriptor. But nothing is ever that simple, as people always take things to extremes. Being "woke" can mean being compassionate, empathetic and fair... it can also mean jumping to conclusions on guilt, pillorying people, and censorship of ideas. So as with most things, I end up in the middle.

One of the latest examples of "wokeness" is this stupid man/bear thing people are debating. Well, there's not any real debate from what I've seen... just a lot of people expressing disdain and confusion on one side, and the other side telling them that their reaction means they hate women.

Lynch also insists on massive amounts of control, which I've personally come to the conclusion that he's such a master of crafts it's a good idea on his part. However, the person with the purse strings may not always agree.

Finished Them season 1 the other day. I liked it, but the ending was a little disappointing. That seems to be normal for me.
I mean, sure, the family is psychologically "saved", but there is a mass of real-world hurt about to descend on the protagonists that putting a brave face on things isn't going to be enough to fix.

Season 2 just dropped on Prime, so started it last night, The creep factor is very high. Excellent stuff.

Also, finally managed to get the whole fam together to finish off the last two episodes of Fallout together. No major complaints. We've already accepted they're doing their own thing here and there and we're really looking forward to the next season. Still high marks for Goggins and Purnell. Moten's character redeemed himself somewhat, but he's still definitely the least interesting main character.

Last edited:
Moten's character redeemed himself somewhat, but he's still definitely the least interesting main character.
I disliked both his character and his acting (his facial expressions killed me). So that made for a rough watch for me when he was front and center. Lucy seemed to have a very beneficial effect on him, though, and he was tolerable at the end. Hopefully that will carry over into season 2. I liked pretty much everything else about the show.

I'm of the same opinion in theory because I think we used to indoctrinate kids and people in general with what roles are expected in function of race and sex (with barbie vs plastic gun toys or with movies), but I'm also of the opinion that overdoing it is as bad.

The thing is, what people call 'woke' is often ambiguous. Sometimes it's because it's not 'like it used to be in the 30s' and they don't like the change, but some use it when it's clearly overboard and every good character is a black, gay/trans female (yes, I'm caricaturing a little).

The term is as misunderstood as 'feminism'.

Seems with the recent dive into viking themed media, I'm gonna do a rewatch of some classic viking movies I liked: I'm thinking The Northman (it was decent, but no Vvitch or Lighthouse), Valhalla Rising and 13th Warrior.
But I'm also kind of toying with the idea of trying Vikings series again. I think I tried it once, but I found it so-so and dropped off. Anyone have any experience with it?

But I'm also kind of toying with the idea of trying Vikings series again. I think I tried it once, but I found it so-so and dropped off. Anyone have any experience with it?
I have recent experience with it. I started with the newer series, the one that has run for 2 seasons and for which they plan one more. I liked it quite a bit. Both leads are solid. Season 2 was more interesting for me than season 1.

Then I moved back to the original Discovery Channel series. It has higher highs and lower lows. They take more creative risks, but it can also be cheesy. Most fans will tell you that the show drops off after Ragnar Lothbrok is no longer on the show. For me, it dropped off heavily while he was still on the show (season 3) and then rebounded well for his final season. I didn't make it very far into season 5, the one after he's gone.

Overall, I think it's mostly entertaining. As long as you don't go in with expectations of it being a high tier drama, you should have a good time.

I have recent experience with it. I started with the newer series, the one that has run for 2 seasons and for which they plan one more. I liked it quite a bit. Both leads are solid. Season 2 was more interesting for me than season 1.

Then I moved back to the original Discovery Channel series. It has higher highs and lower lows. They take more creative risks, but it can also be cheesy. Most fans will tell you that the show drops off after Ragnar Lothbrok is no longer on the show. For me, it dropped off heavily while he was still on the show (season 3) and then rebounded well for his final season. I didn't make it very far into season 5, the one after he's gone.

Overall, I think it's mostly entertaining. As long as you don't go in with expectations of it being a high tier drama, you should have a good time.
Thanks for the input.

Apparently there's another competitor in the same ring. The Last Kingdom? Any experience with that?
It just feels they're milking any setting until they put it in the ground.

Back
Top Bottom